Has luna park sydney pulled the plug on 2 classic rides

5 hours ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

I'm thinking a Disk'O ride would be a good idea. Specifically the Mega Disk'O with 40 seats. Putting it where the kids rides are now. And have the kids rides being put where the Moon Ranger is now, or at Lavender Green. It would be themed to the Whirler (a former ride at LPS). With the current Whirler sign as the new entrance. The eye of the sign would be on the floor of the ride vehicle. And the track would be coloured red. There would also be a food and drink stand on the side of the ride themed to the ride (like the Helter Skelter Cafe). It would be the largest Disk'O in Australia (by seats).

There is a nice disko coaster up at Coomera they can have. 

12 hours ago, T-bone said:

There is a nice disko coaster up at Coomera they can have. 

You mean Shockwave at Dreamworld? We don't have that much room for a Disk'O Coaster. The only spot I can see is in Lavender Green. And then you will have to get permission to get permeant rides there as well with the planning permissions to build a ride in the first place. And Luna Park just withdrew allowing rides up to 14 meters tall that are temporary to be put into Lavender Green. I think a Mega Disk'O would be best, just like what I said above. And also Dreamworld isn't selling Shockwave yet. Shockwave would be sold or scrapped if Dreamworld goes bust soon. Or Dreamworld sells it in 10-20 years when it gets too old.

13 minutes ago, StingRay said:

121522678_1224634074602907_2605515267533122382_n.jpg

I'm guessing it's going to be apart of the temporary rides? If that's the case, that would be a good idea as money is tight and it would be good to wait until after COVID where there is more money to buy a ride. And having a temporary ride in between building a permeant ride is good as well. If it's permeant. DON'T GO BACK TO THE 2000's, PLEASE! PLEASE! I'M JUST BEGGING YOU, PLEASE!

Strange to see how empty the space looks without the ride, it really dominated that back section of the park.

As stated before, the Ranger’s electronic components will be reused to bring another HUSS classic back to life. I believe the shell of the ride including the arm, deck and gondola are being delivered to a local showman, however there are no plans currently in place to refurbish or restore the ride.

• Like 3

Thanks  for the pics mate.

Its certainly quite an operation to get the ride from one end of the park to the road!

The park has supplied the information also that the Powersurge will be replacing the ride. Just to clarify , this will be only a temporary ride install- the Powersurge is owned by Joylands. After its tenure at LPS has finished , it will return to the show circuit. What will be the permanent replacement for Moon Ranger has yet to be released.

Also if you are on Facebook, this is being discussed quite heavily on the group Lost Amusement Parks of Sydney and NSW.

If you would like to join then any and all are welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/348435523186489/permalink/373056220724419/?comment_id=373244937372214

Edited by Jobe

5 hours ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Strange to see how empty the space looks without the ride, it really dominated that back section of the park.

As stated before, the Ranger’s electronic components will be reused to bring another HUSS classic back to life. I believe the shell of the ride including the arm, deck and gondola are being delivered to a local showman, however there are no plans currently in place to refurbish or restore the ride.

Rainbow perhaps??? Would love that, if it is true!

1 minute ago, Gazza said:

image.thumb.png.232a21528b9e7080c5d0f42c27af15b6.png

There are too many Power Surges in Australia.

Please eliminate three.

I am not a crackpot.

It is only TEMPORAILY! 

I think it's a good idea to have a temporary ride like Power Surge until COVID-19 has finished (no physical distancing or any other COVID rules). And once Luna Park can get more money again by concerts at the Big Top, and hiring out Crystal Palace. Then it would be a good idea to start looking for rides. And even if there was no COVID-19. You would have to wait though the planning permissions. And the complaints from the neighbors. So having a thrilling, safe. But also cheap, and temporary is the best way during this period between rides.

And if Luna Park after the contract is over isn't ready to get a new ride in (maybe because of COVID-19 or planning permissions, or the neighbors). They can always get another ride in for a little bit or use a different company. I think Space Jam (if the neighbors are okay with it) would be a perfect spot for now where Moon Ranger used to be! Also maybe Hurricane, or Roundup, or Body Rock would be good for now. I would personally like to see Hurricane there. And maybe also bringing back Pirates Revenge for the Summer? There's quite a few choices. And when you are looking into a permanent ride. There's tons of choices!

The rides removal has not come as a shock. Power Surge temporarily replacing it tho. That's a shock. Joyland's (Carnival ride company) are also trying to make a buck. So I understand why they have leased out another ride to LPS. Given they don't have many carnival rides and this one can easily be set up within the confines of the park means it would going to be picked.

As for what goes in moving forward. Who knows. One other ride is currently hidden behind a fence. I've said it before and ill say it again. Troika's days are numbered. It is old and even tho a fan favourite is really annoying to load and unload given its usually only got a ride op and during peak times gets one attendant. I do wonder tho is the HUSS breakdance will survive much longer. This ride as a modification many years ago to allow guest under 130cm to chance to ride while being accompanied by an adult. 

But looking at the future. Yes, they need to spend money to make money. But with COVID its ruined many things, Those function centres won't be getting used for some time I imagine. So it might be a while before we see anything special come into the park. SO the Joyland's rotating ride roster is the best deal we are going to get for some time. I just see a bad side to this all. So many old rides being retired and not enough replacements. We can only hope ideas are already in motion for new attractions. It is not good for the park. But thankfully Sydney siders are semi-used to this. Unlike QLD people who do get a large number of parks to choose from.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StingRay said:

The rides removal has not come as a shock. Power Surge temporarily replacing it tho. That's a shock. Joyland's (Carnival ride company) are also trying to make a buck. So I understand why they have leased out another ride to LPS. Given they don't have many carnival rides and this one can easily be set up within the confines of the park means it would going to be picked.

As for what goes in moving forward. Who knows. One other ride is currently hidden behind a fence. I've said it before and ill say it again. Troika's days are numbered. It is old and even tho a fan favourite is really annoying to load and unload given its usually only got a ride op and during peak times gets one attendant. I do wonder tho is the HUSS breakdance will survive much longer. This ride as a modification many years ago to allow guest under 130cm to chance to ride while being accompanied by an adult. 

But looking at the future. Yes, they need to spend money to make money. But with COVID its ruined many things, Those function centres won't be getting used for some time I imagine. So it might be a while before we see anything special come into the park. SO the Joyland's rotating ride roster is the best deal we are going to get for some time. I just see a bad side to this all. So many old rides being retired and not enough replacements. We can only hope ideas are already in motion for new attractions. It is not good for the park. But thankfully Sydney siders are semi-used to this. Unlike QLD people who do get a large number of parks to choose from.

It would be quite devastating if Tumble Bug goes. Because just after COVID started, I felt ready to go on Tumble Bug. But I'm guessing it's too late, what a shame.

Are there any Troika's in Australia or nearby?

Edited by AheadMatthewawsome
To fix grammar error's and to add a missing paragragh.

On 16/10/2020 at 6:02 PM, Jobe said:

Rainbow perhaps??? Would love that, if it is true!

Probably is, from my understanding there's at least one unit that exists and quite a good number of Ranger parts such as the drive shaft are compatible with the Rainbow so that makes sense (the irony if it was the ex-Wittingslow one that's getting the parts, the same rainbow that was originally supposed to be at LPS instead of the Ranger). Even despite this it served the park well for 25 years and ran on the show circuit and at Expo before then so the old ranger has had quite a long and distinguished career. It was only a matter of time before it would be replaced, at least the parts are getting some use.

On 17/10/2020 at 6:32 AM, AheadMatthewawsome said:

It would be quite devastating if Tumble Bug goes. Because just after COVID started, I felt ready to go on Tumble Bug. But I'm guessing it's too late, what a shame.

Are there any Troika's in Australia or nearby?

We have a traveling model called the Scorpion owned by Geelong Amusements based in Victoria. 

Just tried power surge today. Hurt my thighs but was still fun. Moon Ranger will always be better in my opinion as it was so unique to see all those boats while literally stalling upside down. Another thing about Moon Ranger that I noticed was that the stall always varied. It sometimes didn't even stop and just started swinging the opposite direction with no stall. It was still probably my fave ride in the park tied with Hair Raiser. I am extremely sad to see it go.

I'm going to Halloscream so it's a shame I won't get to see Moon Ranger at night. The trioka's days do seem numbered but on the website's map its listed as under maintenance and I know Moon Ranger said that but on the map it was just gone ever since it went SBNO so maybe Tumble Bug really is just down for maintenance? It is a pain to load tho and you'd usually be sitting there for like 10mins waiting for it to start. I think moving the kids rides where Tumble Bug is now if it gets removed is a good idea because that would free up a lot of space.

1 hour ago, PapiRides said:

Just tried power surge today. Hurt my thighs but was still fun. Moon Ranger will always be better in my opinion as it was so unique to see all those boats while literally stalling upside down. Another thing about Moon Ranger that I noticed was that the stall always varied. It sometimes didn't even stop and just started swinging the opposite direction with no stall. It was still probably my fave ride in the park tied with Hair Raiser. I am extremely sad to see it go.

I'm going to Halloscream so it's a shame I won't get to see Moon Ranger at night. The trioka's days do seem numbered but on the website's map its listed as under maintenance and I know Moon Ranger said that but on the map it was just gone ever since it went SBNO so maybe Tumble Bug really is just down for maintenance? It is a pain to load tho and you'd usually be sitting there for like 10mins waiting for it to start. I think moving the kids rides where Tumble Bug is now if it gets removed is a good idea because that would free up a lot of space.

tumble bug probably takes about 5 mins to unload and reload but the lines are always short for the ride because it can fit up to 42 rider's per operation

On 18/10/2020 at 6:55 PM, PapiRides said:

Another thing about Moon Ranger that I noticed was that the stall always varied. It sometimes didn't even stop and just started swinging the opposite direction with no stall. It was still probably my fave ride in the park tied with Hair Raiser. I am extremely sad to see it go.

In the world of automation, this ride was actually manually driven (apart from the initial swinging). A skilled operator could balance the boat in a particular way judge the speed and either make it creep over the top (causing drive direction change to occur as a lower than preferred angle) or manage to stop it at around the 11 o'clock position or 1 o'clock position allowing for a nice direction change and now major stress on running gear.

stopping it in the inverted position was possible but not nothing they'd purposely want an operator to do.