Has luna park sydney pulled the plug on 2 classic rides

Won't lie, even with the painful restraints on Ranger, it and Tumble Bug will be missed. I consider Ranger to be the only " major thrill ride " there and it will be a missing a major part of it's history. LPS back in the 80's introduced Ranger as a part of their attempt to be like Wonderland and is one of the only rides left from that time. Honestly, if they had of fixed the restraints on the thing, I would of considered it one of my favourite rides in Sydney ( not that there's a lot of competition ). 

8 hours ago, Cactus_Matt said:

With all the space they're making at Luna Park Sydney with these rides being gone maybe they'll install a roller coaster, hey, I've got an idea maybe they should buy Hot Wheels Sidewinder from Dreamworld! 🤪

(Before anyone tries to state the obvious, this post is a joke)

Goodbye Luna Park! Like making mistakes again? Here comes a new Trade Center for Sydney!

But even if you were serious, even with this new space. There is just not enough room to put it in. And also it would still hurt (I don’t know if it hurts. Everyone tells me it is). And also there just isn’t enough money that Luna Park has right now to get the ride here either. And Sidewinder only has a few years left. Even if the new renovation that has happened. If Dreamworld didn’t do the renovation. They would of most likely sent it overseas, or scraped it. And even worse, you would be repeating mistakes again!

(Just a joke, please don’t hurt me)

If we look at the current state of LPS, they are certainly trying to get the 1900's asthetic in the park. Volare shows that. There unfortunately not going to put a compact steel coaster in because that's not going to fit in with the theme. LPS never has and never will be a Wonderland Sydney ( RIP you old mate ). No matter how hard they tried in the 80'S to be a competitor to the titian that was Wonderland, they simply aren't and that's OK. When a new park opens in Sydney ( not if ), LPS will still be popular. I love the park. No need to prove your the next Movie World or Wonderland, it is a heritage park and that's OK. That's why they removed Ranger and Tumble Bug. 

4 hours ago, Ranger said:

There unfortunately not going to put a compact steel coaster in because that's not going to fit in with the theme.

Lets not jump the gun on that. Of course a new steel compact coaster will fit the theme of a habourside boardwalk amusement park. Always has. Always will. Thats why we had the original Big Dipper and the current Wild Mouse. A new compact coaster is no different. The biggest issue , as has always been, will be the space. Where do you put it? Where will it be the most effective? And what type do you decide on to get best bang for yor buck. The biggest challenge is if they DO decide to install another coaster ( and I am one that firmly believes that not only is it a good thing, it is entirely neccessary for the park to do so) is how will they integrate this into the park and action the best possible utilsiation of their available space possible. This means that the park may need to get vitally creative, whilst still adhering to the parameters as laid out in the amended Luna Park act for their ride and attraction installation. That may require them to spend more to achieve this but the outcome could be the best option for what is required. Lets hope that the management of the park understands what is needed and delivers the best outcome not only for the park, but for the future generations to enjoy. This is a unique opportunity for the park to  set themselves up for the next decade and they really need to get it right and treat this time as a pivotal moment in their history.

1 hour ago, Cactus_Matt said:

Didn't the Big Dipper (a.k.a. Hot Wheel Sidewinder) move because it was too noisy/too close to expensive apartments nearby? Much as Luna Park needs a new roller coaster, wouldn't it just end up causing the same issues with noise complaints again?

Luna Park Sydney closed down in 1996 due to poor attendance. This was because of the restrictions of the operating hours on the Big Dipper and the Park. The residents in the apartments above Luna Park sued the park due to noise, height, and light problems. The courts ruled in favour of the residents. And so restrictions were put in to reduce the noise and lighting at the park. Sydney had quite adverse weather for the park. And also residents (especially from Western Sydney) would just go to Wonderland instead. Nowadays, any ride at the park must not exceed 40 meters in the park, no strobe lighting is allowed, a development application must be made before a ride can be built, and Luna Park does not now build big roller coasters in the park. Something like a Eurofighter Coaster could be put in, but that’s as far as they can go. And even that would be a struggle!

On 31/10/2020 at 4:44 PM, Cactus_Matt said:

Didn't the Big Dipper (a.k.a. Hot Wheel Sidewinder) move because it was too noisy/too close to expensive apartments nearby? Much as Luna Park needs a new roller coaster, wouldn't it just end up causing the same issues with noise complaints again?

Short answer - no.

The noise complaints will never shut it down again. If it's permitted to be built, it's staying. The circumstances of the sidewipper's removal will never happen again.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2020 at 7:56 PM, AheadMatthewawsome said:

Nowadays, any ride at the park must not exceed 40 meters in the park, no strobe lighting is allowed, a development application must be made before a ride can be built, and Luna Park does not now build big roller coasters in the park.

Sorry this is not correct. LPS fought long and hard for an amendment to the Luna park act and as long as any ride or attraction falls within their designated zones in the park or comes in under their parameters to the amended Luna Park act, then they can install it.

Its spelt out clearly below:

image.thumb.png.4cdfe2ab79301dd915d2ed2ffc227bd1.png

image.thumb.png.3a456041f33906a1dd7dae18af95781b.png

image.thumb.png.8583ad46b5be58f278678c54eed76b19.png

image.thumb.png.c215e5740dd9d21301a84a5f69d721a8.png

image.thumb.png.291182f9cd5e3d2340c61043e6b76df9.png

image.thumb.png.cdf51a9effe7596e4d4383cf6b62a006.png

image.thumb.png.01cef62c6fc918da7509d6693d8eaef5.png

8 hours ago, AlexB said:

Short answer - no.

The noise complaints will never shut it down again. If it's permitted to be built, it's staying. The circumstances of the sidewipper's removal will never happen again.

AlexB is 100% correct here. But only as long as the legislation allows for it- if for some reason its changed again, then its a whole different ball game. If the park WANTED to build another coaster the size of Sidewinder they could. However, there is no room nor the will on behalf of the park to do so as this would draw critiscm from their neighbours. They are trying to co-exist with them but also have reasonable outcomes for rides and attractions in place, hence the amendment that was passed last year.

Hope this clears up any myths or misconceptions regarding LPS's rights to install rides and attractions in the park.

Edited by Jobe

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot confirm personally but I have been advised that a rocking tug ride is currently in the park. This might be a new permanent addition.

Some possibly bad news, however. Ride removals might not be over yet. I predicted months ago about three rides leaving the park. Two have left the park already. One remains.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StingRay said:

Cannot confirm personally but I have been advised that a rocking tug ride is currently in the park. This might be a new permanent addition.

Some possibly bad news, however. Ride removals might not be over yet. I predicted months ago about three rides leaving the park. Two have left the park already. One remains.

That might be the replacement for one of the kiddie flat rides that was removed a few months back (next to the u-drive). 
Spider is running on borrowed time and will most likely be that ride that gets axed. This will complete a process that was supposed to be finished years ago.

8 hours ago, StingRay said:

Rockin Tug is currently being borrowed from Joyrides. It is only a TEMPORAILY RIDE! There's been 2 Rockin Tugs since the reopening of Luna Park. 1 between July to September. Then another from September to today. For Luna Park to all of a sudden go "Joylands, were never gonna give your ride back. We love your little copyright free little mermaid! Goodbye!" would be highly unethical. 

4 hours ago, Baconjack said:

That might be the replacement for one of the kiddie flat rides that was removed a few months back (next to the u-drive). 
Spider is running on borrowed time and will most likely be that ride that gets axed. This will complete a process that was supposed to be finished years ago.

When the next time that Spider goes under maintenance. That will most likely be the end of the Spider. Luckily I've been able to get on Spider now.

Magic Castle was replaced by Crazy Cars (from Joylands once again) around the end of 2019. 

Does anybody need more information???

Not blowing my own trumpet fellas but yous pretty much recycled what I said.

Rockin Tug has apparently been purchased by the park. From my understanding is it therefor not a temporary attraction at all.  Companys but and trade things all the time. So it is not a major shock if Joyland's sold (or traded) a ride for Rockin Tug.

1 hour ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Joylands has (and will) receive two rides from the park, one of which will for certain return to the travelling circuit. So yeah wouldn’t be suprised if Rockin Tug was included in that transaction.

So its either Ranger or Breakdance then. I thought the transaction would be like that. They two companies have worked together since 2005 so it makes sense for them to work together like this.

22 hours ago, StingRay said:

Not blowing my own trumpet fellas but yous pretty much recycled what I said.

Rockin Tug has apparently been purchased by the park. From my understanding is it therefor not a temporary attraction at all.  Companys but and trade things all the time. So it is not a major shock if Joyland's sold (or traded) a ride for Rockin Tug.

When I was there on Saturday and Rockin Tug was being operated by Luna Park staff there. This could be a sign that it's now owned by Luna Park. I'll ask someone when I next go there.

16 hours ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Joylands has (and will) receive two rides from the park, one of which will for certain return to the travelling circuit. So yeah wouldn’t be suprised if Rockin Tug was included in that transaction.

On Saturday. There was Power Surge where Moon Ranger used to be. And Roundup where Mystery Manor used to be. But this Rockin Tug is different to the one from Joylands. Joylands has one with a knock off version of The Little Mermaid. While the one at Luna Park has a Zamperla logo and has Popyeye on it.

• 4 months later...
On 31/10/2020 at 11:11 AM, Ranger said:

If we look at the current state of LPS, they are certainly trying to get the 1900's asthetic in the park. Volare shows that. There unfortunately not going to put a compact steel coaster in because that's not going to fit in with the theme. LPS never has and never will be a Wonderland Sydney ( RIP you old mate ). No matter how hard they tried in the 80'S to be a competitor to the titian that was Wonderland, they simply aren't and that's OK. When a new park opens in Sydney ( not if ), LPS will still be popular. I love the park. No need to prove your the next Movie World or Wonderland, it is a heritage park and that's OK. That's why they removed Ranger and Tumble Bug. 

Well that aged well.