Universal Studios Japan 2nd Jan / 3rd Jan.

Gazza

Fantastic write up, thanks @Gazza

ive never really considered Japan as I’ve always said I’d rather take the family to the OG parks in the US before we go to the others, but with our US trip cancelled for this year due to covid and potentially no change on the horizon with the situation over there, Japan may become a real viable option.

are all the rides/shows in English or dubbed/subtitled at least? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, themagician said:

When I visited a couple years ago, Flying Dinosaur was less than a week old and these were the queue times

Thankfully, I somehow managed to get a Fast Pass which included the coaster. Still my number 1 favourite coaster 

I was much the same. Fast Pass saved my life.

9 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

ive never really considered Japan as I’ve always said I’d rather take the family to the OG parks in the US before we go to the others, but with our US trip cancelled for this year due to covid and potentially no change on the horizon with the situation over there, Japan may become a real viable option.

From my visit last year its a mixed bag.

Most of the major rides are in Japanese, many of which not having any subtitles. That includes Harry Potter, Despicable Me and Spider-Man. Didn't ride Jaws or Terminator on my visit so I can't comment on those. 

A few of the shows are mixed English/Japanese and they have subtitles in most of the shows that take place indoors such as the Sing one. However others dont have subtitles, such as the Backdraft walkthrough and Waterworld.

Edited by Baconjack

23 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

The queue line videos have subtitles usually, but nothing on the rides, though occasionally some shows will have some random English, eg Universal Monsters.

If i had young family I'd not hesitate to go to Japan first! It's closer, cheaper and basically same time zone, so no jet lag.

On the whole I felt it was an easy place to travel (so long as 1 person has a roaming data pack), its safe so it feels relaxing, and seemed kid friendly in many ways

The parks will be busy though, and you will get on everything at least once, but you have to carry the mindset that for every fast pass ride you do, you'll have a 90 min wait on a different one.

And of course, the holiday as a whole will probably be more interesting than say going to LA, and going to the parks + hollywood + santa monica or whatever people do on their first time in the US.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 3

I loved usj, was so busy when we went but everything from the theming, que lines, the happiness from the workers to the overall quality of the rides was mint. Such a good experience, as with disneysea and Disneyland, disneysea being the better of the two

• 4 months later...

it is an unfortunate side effect of the modern generation that kids are learning from online media sources - many of which are american and therefore americanisms are permeating other western culture.

My four year old has in the past picked up on american words for things - like 'diaper' for example, which we needed to correct.

But i'm sure this will instead just be fobbed off as an auto-correct error or dictionary on his phone... something else kids have these days.

297.png

• Like 3