Size doesn't matter: Dreamworld makes concrete moves towards a smaller theme park

Parkz News

Size doesn't matter: Dreamworld makes concrete moves towards a smaller theme park

Dreamworld ditches their only competitive advantages – sheer size and diversity of attractions – as they seek to be "comparable" in ride count to their nearest single competitor. Except their nearest competitor is actually four diverse and growing theme parks.

Click here to continue reading

Not a bad article but did many actually listen in on the call or that?. Cause it seems like some critical info was missed to make another bash article.

I understand DW is against the entire VRTP corporation. But obviously they can't do any good by many in here. Different companies with differentΒ offerings and outcomes. 2016 affected the industry but it seems people just want to remember how bad it affected VRTP.

VRTP had like a five-year plan already in place. It started with Rivals and goes onto all the things occurring at SeaWorld. So they had luck.

DW could have hadΒ ideas also. But now they are trying to recover and I believe trying to do it correctly. So whats wrong retiring (BRC) an old ride that's not popular anymore?. I thought that would be a smart move to make way for something in the future. Most likely I am wrong however as I will get told by God.

Flow Rider and BRC did not seem as popular as management had first thought (this is the new management) and that's a fact. Given it was mentioned by the head of the organisation. They would watch numbers of guest flow in and out of each ride. It's something every park does even VRTP.

Selling some land also ain't a bad thing. The company needs money. So why would that be such a bad thing? It's not like they sold the entire site but only own the car park.

God will knock me down within 3...2...1

Β 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

Dreamworld has been going to shit for a while, this doesn't surprise me at all.

I absolutelyΒ agree with you! Dreamworld is going the same way as Wonderland, and this is getting extremely concerning. Ardent Leisure is the new Sunway. When I hear that all of Dreamworld is being knocked down and becoming an industrial park called R.I.P Dreamworld (just kidding we would not be Scrooge McDuck without IT gone) I will be not surprised! And you should not either!

33 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Soο»Ώ whats wrong retiring (BRC) an old ride that's not popular anymore?ο»Ώο»Ώ

BRC was still popular. As recently as the last operational holidays, it had 40min + queues basically fromΒ open to close.Β 

It was easily the most popular ride in ABC kids World, and the most immersive and experience driven.Β 

The issue isn’t that they are closing it, the issue is they are bullshitting everyone with some lame excuse regarding popularity, when the truth is they’ve let the thing rot without any basic upkeep for 4-5 years and it likely deteriorated to point where keeping it operating was a burden on them time & cost wise.Β 
They are closing the best and most popular ride in the precinct without any plans for a replacement (The presentation was void of any mention of the previous mooted expansion of ABC Kids World).Β 

• Like 2

@Brad2912Β the ABC kids world project and Master plan of dreamworld has been put on hold. They want to see what attendance is like and how CovidΒ plays out before spending more Capex. Considering they are focusing on finishing WWW, the new coaster and Side winder update projects. (I also believe Buzzsaw is also closed to help construction of the new coaster to happen along with waiting on said part.)

I have no doubt in mind the reason for closing BRC ride was to begin initial works for the ABC kids world redevelopment which includes a new ride. However as there are a lot of variables in the air at the moment they don't wanna announce when this project will happen as it's not a priority. Same with the Flow Rider, with all that land free it seems like the park is gearing up for its next attraction to be built in the far end of Ocean Parade.Β 

As somebody who listened to the conference call; when asked about whether they needed more rides to be built quickly to make up for the ride removals. John Responded saying "There is anΒ entire pipeline of new attractions and rides planned for the next phase after the new Coaster."

Edited by Tim Dasco

49 minutes ago, StingRay said:

God will knock me down within 3...2...1ο»Ώ

It's a bit hard to debate on the merits when you preemptively dismiss any rebuttal with this kind of petty garbage.

The webcast/Q&AΒ completely echoes the presentation in its substance. This article isn't mourning the loss of rather uninspiring attractions nor ignoring the fact that it's a time for drastic measures across the board,Β but rather it is questioning the statedΒ strategy behindΒ closures and downsizing as a whole.

Unprecedented trading conditions have halted things like the ABC Kids expansion, which ostensibly would have included a replacement for the Big Red Car Ride, but when they're caught with their pants down for the umpteenth time in a few short years regarding long-term retirement and rejuvenation plansΒ it starts to become a bit of a boy who cried wolf situation.

It did seem odd to retire BRC now. Surely it would have been fine to operate for another few months/year until they have a better timeline for the ABC revamp. ItΒ doesn't pull the crowds or RPH that it used to but it was still fairly simple and functional. Unless theyΒ planned to pull it around this time anyway (for the refurb) so it was already dead and has been for months, then it's possible that it simply can't function anymore (not as likely but still possible if they stopped ordering parts).Β 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard said:

It's a bit hard to debate on the merits when you preemptively dismiss any rebuttal with this kind of petty garbage.

Classy.

Β 

2 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

It did seem odd to retire BRC now. Surely it would have been fine to operate for another few months/year until they have a better timeline for the ABC revamp. ItΒ doesn't pull the crowds or RPH that it used to but it was still fairly simple and functional. Unless theyΒ planned to pull it around this time anyway (for the refurb) so it was already dead and has been for months, then it's possible that it simply can't function anymore (not as likely but still possible if they stopped ordering parts).Β 

Don't go making sense. Youll be called stupid and get told your opinion is garbage.

2 hours ago, StingRay said:

Don'tο»Ώ go makingο»Ώ sense. Youll be called stupid and get told your opinion is garbage.

You asked for it ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️ and this comment is stupid.Β 

6 hours ago, StingRay said:

Godο»Ώ will knockο»Ώ me down within 3...2...ο»Ώ1

Regardless of your above comment your post has some valid points. The first time I went on BRC was this January. I could tell their were minor issues and problems with timing of certain elements. But overall I thought it was a good ride for what it was. I think the timing and explanation on BRC ride closure is odd. Thanks for the article and discussion, zing on fellas.Β 

Edited by TomiJ

Good article and I agree with many of the points. Closing BRC is an odd decision and does take away a lot of the family appeal. Hopefully Dreamworld have some plans regarding a decent replacement because I feel its losing both it's thrill seeker and family appeal. Who are they catering to anymore?

• Like 1

Most I ever saw active was 5.Β 
Β 

I thankfully haven’t had to ride it for about 2 years as my son grew out of it, so can’t comment on recent operations, but as recently as my last rides 2 years ago it was falling into disrepair with multiple features out of sync or just not working, and also constant breakdowns where you’d just stop, and be in the same room for minutes on end, even had to be released and walk off once or twiceΒ