Village Roadshow releases full year results, commits to ride removals and new additions

Parkz News

Firstly, Social Network wouldn’t know its ass from its elbow unless it’s the topic of creepy guys taking way too many photos of attractive female dancers...

Second, Village has at least 3 very prominent attractions that have been closed for a very long time. It’s obviously 2 of those being removed. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rappa said:

Firstly, Social Network wouldn’t know its ass from its elbow unless it’s the topic of creepy guys taking way too many photos of attractive female dancers...

Second, Village has at least 3 very prominent attractions that have been closed for a very long time. It’s obviously 2 of those being removed. 

Why would Village want to announce they are removing two rides if it's just demolishing already decommissioned rides though?

And how is it obvious at all? There wasn't a mention that the rides are already closed.

• Like 1

Well, I reckon they might lose more than just the two. Sure they can announce plans now. But I am thinking they are going to lose a decent attraction within the next three years.

You gotta save money. VRTP is brilliant at closing things or reducing staffing levels and never answering why. Arkham has been closed for a bloody long time with no explanation. Same with slides over at WnW. They haven't been able to conduct anymore decommissioning at SW with Vikings apart from removing the control system and the station braking system, Boats are long gone also.

Suppose we gotta wait and see. But the issue here is they don't want to close anything. They don't want to be caught with their pants down. But it'll happen.

5 hours ago, joz said:

It's in the context of capital expense. They are spending money (which is tight right now) on taking a couple of things down. 

I more meant from a publicity standpoint. Ride removals = bad in the public’s eye. So if it was truly just demolishing already closed rides, i’d expect they wouldn’t want to announce it as they have. 

16 hours ago, StingRay said:

Well, I reckon they might lose more than just the two. Sure they can announce plans now. But I am thinking they are going to lose a decent attraction within the next three years.

You gotta save money. VRTP is brilliant at closing things or reducing staffing levels and never answering why. Arkham has been closed for a bloody long time with no explanation. Same with slides over at WnW. They haven't been able to conduct anymore decommissioning at SW with Vikings apart from removing the control system and the station braking system, Boats are long gone also.

Suppose we gotta wait and see. But the issue here is they don't want to close anything. They don't want to be caught with their pants down. But it'll happen.

I will fix your bias for you so it makes sense. ;)

Well, I reckon they might lose more than just the two. Sure they can announce plans now. But I am thinking they are going to lose a decent attraction within the next three years (Buzzsaw is a given, Giant Drop and Sidewinder/Gold Coaster/Cyclone are in the last decade of their lives.)

You gotta save money. VRTP Ardent is brilliant at closing things or reducing staffing levels and never answering why. Arkham Wipeout has been was closed for a bloody long time with no explanation. Same with slides over at WnW Mine Ride/BRC/Kevil Hill/Paddlewheeler/Buzzsaw for durations of time. They haven't been able to conduct anymore decommissioning at SW DW with Vikings Log Ride apart from removing the control system and the station braking system, Boats are long gone also.

Edited by Retardent

15 minutes ago, Retardent said:

Well, I reckon they might lose more than just the two. Sure they can announce plans now. But I am thinking they are going to lose a decent attraction within the next three years (Buzzsaw is a given, Giant Drop and Sidewinder/Gold Coaster/Cyclone are in the last decade of their lives.)

You gotta save money. VRTP Ardent is brilliant at closing things or reducing staffing levels and never answering why. Arkham Wipeout has been was closed for a bloody long time with no explanation. Same with slides over at WnW Mine Ride/BRC/Kevil Hill/Paddlewheeler/Buzzsaw for durations of time. They haven't been able to conduct anymore decommissioning at SW DW with Vikings Log Ride apart from removing the control system and the station braking system, Boats are long gone also.

I wish the nauseating react was back.

Was there really a need for that? Considering half the changes you made were utter bullshit?

Both parks have had closed rides without explanation. Both parks are brilliant at closing things with little explanation. Both parks have reduced staffing levels. The Log Ride closed a few months ago, Vikings Revenge closed years ago - there’s a major difference.

Maybe before critiquing other people’s ‘bias’, take a look at your own.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

I more meant from a publicity standpoint. Ride removals = bad in the public’s eye. So if it was truly just demolishing already closed rides, i’d expect they wouldn’t want to announce it as they have. 

Again, it was in the context of 'This is what we're doing with our capex'. You can expect what ever you want and I'm happy for you, but that's the answer  🙂

As for the next part of the conversation; you'd think Cyclone has a bit of life left in it still. Surely they've learned not to spend lots of money returning a ride only to have it be cactus shortly after 

Edited by joz
  • Like 2

Village always play everything close to the chest, they pretty much never announce anything that keeps the public informed about long term plans until its already in progress. On top of that, its usually not until they have something more to go on other than only reporting a negative. They always want to put an upward spin on any bad news. So I wouldnt be surprised if its just a matter of wanting to plan future new attractions to announce the bad news of ride closures. 

Could literally just need more time to work out what they are doing after the closures before they make any announcements. 

Edited by Levithian

5 hours ago, rappa said:

I can’t even pretend to comprehend where you’ve pulled this prediction of doom from.  

Surely you could. Some know you don't lack imagination.

3 hours ago, Retardent said:

Um. Thanks for changing this. Not sure why you did.

Remember tomorrows Monday so it's a school day.

On 29/08/2020 at 10:42 AM, jcgoldcoast said:

Could they finally be removing Vikings Revenge at Sea World?

I hate to be saying this but... Where is the need?

SW have committed to building 3 new rides that don't encroach on that space. The money is better spent at other parks where there re SBNO rides/slides taking up usable space.

The only thing Vikings Revenge is doing is blocking SW from building some better paths but from the already built path to Vortex they have clearly committed to an entrance already.

I'm assuming it will be Arkham and Mach 5

• Like 1

All whisper and rumour i've heard has said the same - Arkham (no surprise) and Pounce & Bounce (no great loss). Given that Dreamworld ?recently? removed theirs, my guess is either the product has issues the manufacturer can't resolve, or in the new age of safety, the restraint system probably wasn't up to the task required by the risk assessment.

All my own speculation - but its quite telling the long list of other attractions everyone is coming up with, be they SBNO, down for extended maintenance, or otherwise omitted from the park map, suggests VRTP has a lot more than 2 attractions they need to remove at some point in the future, and that doesn't even count those still operating that have a troubled history or are on their last legs.

• Like 2

On 29/08/2020 at 10:42 AM, jcgoldcoast said:

Could they finally be removing Vikings Revenge at Sea World?

Could Sea World potentially use the new-ish portions of Vikings Revenge to create a log flume if they demolished the castle? I wouldn't be against them building some sort of updated log ride at Sea World in the coming years.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

Could Sea World potentially use the new-ish portions of Vikings Revenge to create a log flume if they demolished the castle?

Yes — the flume dimensions on Vikings Revenge is industry standard so Intamin/Mack/etc could bring it to life. From a structural perspective the castle is likely toast in terms of supporting a ride like this, but that’s a good thing. The boats, station, lift(s), drop(s) and splashdown would all need to be new so the flume you’re reusing to save a few hundred thousand is that thoroughly unremarkable section that meanders through the gravel under Storm.

This was part of the big plan pre-Atlantis. I think bringing back the (or a) flume would be easiest and most cost effective win possible for SW but the concept was so thoroughly overthought and destined to be both heinously expensive and underwhelming that everyone should be glad it never happened.

It’s why the flume wasn’t swiftly removed and likely why it’s not one of the attractions earmarked for removal this year, so there’s hope yet. 

• Like 1

In-house job. But a concrete channel is a concrete channel, and that new section that snakes under Storm is all that would remain on a resurrected flume. If it's to spec in terms of dimensions/gradient/water depth then no reason a manufacturer and/or local engineers wouldn't sign off on it. And you can bet given it was built in 2012, actual engineering with a solid paper trail went into its design and construction.

I think the challenge is finding a boat that simultaneously fits the geometry of that channel whist meeting the latest standards.

My personal view is that by recycling that 100m stretch of trough, you are then locking in the current location of the station and various other aspects of the course, when you probably could do a better layout with modern elements if you just flattened it and stopped caring about a castle that looks like a motor inn.

Castle Motor Lodge - Bowen | Accommodation Deals from Travelmate

Bell Tower Motor Inn - Picture of Shepparton Bell Tower Motor Inn -  Tripadvisor

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard said:

In-house job. But a concrete channel is a concrete channel, and that new section that snakes under Storm is all that would remain on a resurrected flume. If it's to spec in terms of dimensions/gradient/water depth then no reason a manufacturer and/or local engineers wouldn't sign off on it. And you can bet given it was built in 2012, actual engineering with a solid paper trail went into its design and construction.

That's not how it works though. Who do you buy all the replacement components from? Forget about the boats, what about the control system and the conveyors? You don't get them from local suppliers, you go back to whoever built the ride and they take all the responsibility for supplying you with the correct goods. They guarantee the parts are fit for service, park has no responsibility if they fit things in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines and something happens. It's a lot of responsibility, and I reckon its a big reason why these type of rides are being phased out.