Village Roadshow releases full year results, commits to ride removals and new additions

Parkz News

Village Roadshow releases full year results, commits to ride removals and new additions

Closure and downturn from COVID-19 led to predictably disappointing financial results for Village Roadshow's theme park division, where 900,000 fewer guests visited. Despite uncertainty the company is pressing head to have the forthcoming Leviathan wooden roller coaster up and running by Easter while also announcing that they will be removing two yet-unnamed rides at their Gold Coast theme parks.

Click here to continue reading

15 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Dreamworld might as well just shut down at this point. 

I swear dreamworld has just lost its magic, There are little to none rides for adult's and teens and more children rides remain as so many rides have closed for example Tower of terror II, Rocky hollow log ride, Wipeout, FlowRider, Big red car rides like what's next shockwave or sidewinder?  Honest opinions dreamworld should after the multi-launch coaster opens invest in way more rides to keep attendance up

and personally, if White Water World is seasonal push it back until March-April for a closing date it's still quite warm in those months

Edited by Coasterlife
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rachelkinks said:

Really starting to think Green Lantern might be getting removed, no opening date listed on the site even though its just had a repaint.

I highly doubt that but most likely it could just be that they need a ride part from its manufacturer like a sensor or something 

• Like 1

Have a read through this (in particular the first bulleted paragraph) and look at rides that are going through extended maintenance and rides that are old and sbno

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/laws-and-compliance/workplace-health-and-safety-laws/laws-and-legislation/work-health-and-safety-amusement-devices-public-safety-amendment-regulation-2019

Edited by Levithian

Arkham is gone for sure 100% given its closure has essentially been a foregone conclusion for a very long time. My guess is the monorail is the other ride that closes.  Don't know much about WnW so I won't comment on what could go there.

3 hours ago, Coasterlife said:

I swear dreamworld has just lost its magic, There are little to none rides for adult's and teens and more children rides remain as so many rides have closed for example Tower of terror II, Rocky hollow log ride, Wipeout, FlowRider, Big red car rides like what's next shockwave or sidewinder?  Honest opinions dreamworld should after the multi-launch coaster opens invest in way more rides to keep attendance up

I think you're forgetting DW still has 6 major thrill rides, soon to be 7. Their three coasters they have may be a laughable joke especially when compared to whats down the road but flats wise they are still well ahead of Village's offerings even after losing Wipeout. Same goes for family and kids rides although ABC kids losing its anchor in Big Red Car Ride doesn't help.

The figure Ardent committed to spending last year ($50 million) leaves room for around $20m of capex when discounting the coaster. I think it was discussed at the time as being allocated towards a flat to replace Wipeout and the ABC Kids World expansion which was going to take over TOT and BRCC. These plans obviously being mothballed nowadays given corona.

Sidewinder won't be going anywhere given Dreamworld are repainting it at the minute and the coaster is quite simple mechanically when compared to let's say, Wipeout or TOT. Neither will Shockwave given its a very common ride type that's not very old with plenty of manufacturer support and spare parts.

Edited by Baconjack

The whole H2O Zone is going to be closed for some time due to pump issues, so maybe it’s one of them. Jet Rescue has also been closed for some time and they are doing extensive work on the track. I really hope not, but it could be that. Or maybe even WWF

Edited by themagician
  • Like 1

I would be very surprised if Wild West Falls gets removed, it is a very popular and iconic ride at the park. Also, it is one of the only water rides in the entire park, so removing it would leave a massive hole. Is there even any evidence to suggest it would be Wild West Falls? 

But Arkham Asylum is certainly gone, and i am quite happy about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcgoldcoast said:

Could they finally be removing Vikings Revenge at Sea World?

Vikings Revenge was announced as being closed to make way for a world class attraction that would rival anything on the coast coming in 2019. Which has been canceled. However it was announced already, these 2 rides closures are drone rides that aren’t already announced as closed.

Edited by Tim Dasco