Which former attraction do you miss the most?

HyprCoastr19

On 05/09/2020 at 6:08 PM, rappa said:

Serious question because that’s a valid point...

To ‘fix’ the current issue what would be the solution? Replace the projections with basic scenery? Change the media?

Realistic answers only, 3 million dollars worth of animatronics is not a fix, that’s blue sky...

On 06/09/2020 at 6:56 AM, Levithian said:

Spend money on decent video/animation and leave the projectors. They arent the issue.

I disagree - i don't think the projectors are the best things they could have used - the 'black' still bleeds light, and its clear where the edges are.

I'm sure there is projection technology out there that wouldn't stick out like such a sore thumb. Get truer blacks for the areas that aren't part of the animation. Maybe mask the area with some 3 dimensional props to help the projection 'blend' into the surroundings better?

I mean - I know we can't spend Disney money - but the little waterfall on N'avi river journey is such a well done example of 3d sets coming to life with projection.

Honestly we have a lot of computer animation talent in Aus with realistic imagery - the scenes could be animated better than they are.

And lastly - that green screen effect just doesn't work. I don't know if the contrast isn't enough, or if the processor power behind it just isn't up to the task of doing it real time - but hell - Zoom meetings do a better job at superimposing images on a live video feed, surely it could be done better than it is?

eta: the screens in the lifts only really work if you're in the front car. the back car really doesn't get the whole story or the whole image. I don't know what can be done to fix this given the limited space, but full height screens would be far more immersive...

On 05/09/2020 at 5:38 PM, rappa said:

Serious question because that’s a valid point...

To ‘fix’ the current issue what would be the solution? Replace the projections with basic scenery? Change the media?

Realistic answers only, 3 million dollars worth of animatronics is not a fix, that’s blue sky...

Upgrade the animations at the very least, the animation is somehow worse than the ones in the 2002 movie. Also fix the story line, there really isn't one at the moment. Finally what they need to add is some of the old animatronics back. Just put them in the gaps to help provide added theming.

I definitely miss Gremlins and the original Bermuda Triangle from the Gold Coast parks, but here comes what may be an unpopular opinion, I really miss Bounty's Revenge from Wonderland. I remember being mesmerised by it as a kid and then finally being able to go on it when I got older. Any rides that took you upside down were crazy for me as a kid and I never understood why people would do that to themselves, then I did it and now I can't get enough of going upside down lol.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Slick said:

- Police Academy - everyone, and I mean everyone, will remember the plant in the hawaiian shirt for the rest of their lives, but no one will remember what car did sick burn-outs at Stunt Driver.

For me, not just his shirt, but the belittling way in which they pronounced "Rodney".

• Like 1

I'd say the Mine Ride and Bermuda triangle would be my two main picks.
Having said that Dreamworld is going to feel so quiet without the ToT and wipeout.

I also miss the Koala Country Puppet Show, fond memories of escaping the summer heat and relaxing in the aircon. I watch the video of it sometimes and the songs stay in my head all day.

Health and safety means lots of things just cant happen anymore. Its also jacked up the price of alternatives, as a lot of things were probably done that way because this was all they had to spend, so you had to make it work by producing it all yourself. 

Just about everything these days seems to be about minimising risk, so i imagine that kills invention/adaptability. Nobody wants to be responsible for a product, they want to be able to point to a supplier or manufacturer in the event something goes wrong. That and the people signing the cheques seem to be even further out of touch with reality. 

We frequently quote for the spec given on the job, then get knocked down on price 3 or 4 times before its approved by the owners. Each time something is being sacrificed. Its usually material quality and finishing that suffers first. Seems the majority of people only care about something passing a casual glance test, not caring about longevity. Its like things are being built to the day, nobody cares after its built and what itll be like in 5 years time even when you warn them about it being a false economy. We've pulled out of a few tenders recently because the budget has been slashed so many times the quality of the work cant be delivered. The amount of return work is too risky to make the job worth while. Youll be back on site trying to keep the client happy even though you warned them about cutting costs. 

I can imagine something similar happens in theme parks. Only difference is it probably doesnt get done/approved at all. Why do a good job once when you can cheap out and spend 4 times the amount repairing and patching it up before cutting your losses and being forced to do it properly (or not at all) in the end.

• Like 1

In no particular order:

Movie World Studio Tour (trams)

Movie Magic Special Effects Show

Western Action Show

The Maverick Show

Eureka Mountain Mine Ride

Creature Cruise

Country Jamboree

Segaworld Sydney

Wonderland Sydney

Magic Mountain

Fox Studios Backlot

Edited by taronga
add words I didn't have before
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I never got to do LLMR at SeaWorld I think that looked better then Bermuda Triangle and had a better theme. While I do miss BT (well from memory it was good but I was really young when I went on so I can’t remember it too well) I prefer Storm coaster. BT’s theme was very 90s and would look out of date now

I too miss TOT but unfortunately it got to old and hard to maintain and keep operating. Dreamworld can now spend that money on getting there park back after being neglected. Who knows maybe on their 50th they will bring back a tribute to TOT but I highly doubt it. (one can hope though!)

and I mean DW now is better then in 2020. ST saved DW

Edited by REGIE

Bermuda Triangle kicked ass - it’s kind of crazy we were able to pull something like that off (and in-house!) that had that many animatronics and special effects (the pepper’s ghost UFO was stunning as a nine year old). Storm’s good, but it’s not better.

Naturally Tower of Terror is an obvious nod - it’s the thing that put Dreamworld on the thrillseeker’s map globally, particularly at a time where we were all jumping online for the first time. It was the thing we were all proud of and it had some crazy cool technology to boot. Also the skull and the original pod design was badass. F*cking t-bar restraints 100m+ in the air? Yes please. I was lucky to do a few cycles where I was the only one in the pod and getting just that little bit closer to the top of the tower made it feel unsettlingly bonkers. 

Shoutout to Wipeout which is still one of the best themed flat rides ever. Never should’ve been replaced with nothing. I can appreciate a Dreamworld without Tower of Terror because it regularly ruined the ambience of the park and aged poorly, but Wipeout? It’s still not Dreamworld without Wipeout. It’s the ride that literally saved the park. It's iconic. When they said it was going to close and the Ardent price dipped lower to a market cap that was far lower than the cost of a replacement thrill ride, they should've course corrected instead of doubling down on shaded seating.

Special mention to the IMAX theatre and the steam trains. The majesty of the IMAX theatre was how unassuming and how well integrated it was into the Central Plaza. It also was a stunning experience that folks couldn’t get anywhere else. It was so good it was the lynch pin in having the park achieve 10,000 pax days in its first years. Imagine that, a Dreamworld with less rides but with the same pax as Movie World on a busy day? Mental. Sky Voyager is good, and has the potential to be great, but that facade is tragic and did incredible damage to the success of the ride and the immersion of the greater area, as will the Zierer Swinger when they knock out the fountain. Real shame that.  As for steam trains, the topic’s been done to death. They’re iconic, and leaving one out the front is a bit average, imo. 

EDIT: new adds

Batman: The ride - like Tower of Terror, aged horribly. But again, as a nine-year-old, it was spectacular. As a young kid, I had just come back from Disneyland and it genuinely felt more iconic than Star Tours. From the massive cavernous library into the tiny little caves back open into Batman's lair and the animatronic that you could never quite tell was real or not. Suffice to say, whilst I am nostalgic for it, I do think Justice League just eeks out as being slightly better.

Also, Police Academy. Everything from the gags (including pre-show) to the stunts was as captivating for kids as they were for adults. There's a special magic to getting something like that so spot on - I think it's why Bluey and Pixar films have had so much success. Funnily enough, I still haven't ever seen a single Police Academy movie and I dare say I never will. And that's the beauty of that show, you really didn't need to. I'll be bold and say that Movie World's single biggest mistake in its history was axing that show.

EDIT: Interesting to see that I've already posted in this thread, and even after two years the under-currents of Police Academy, Bermuda Triangle and Wipeout still ring true.

Edited by Slick
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 2

Wipeout still hurts but I can see why it had to go. It was old, and was rarely open in its last years. For it to run for 25 years is a great innings, when most parks could barely run it for 10. Ardent missed a huge opportunity to replace it with another top spin IMO - ocean parade isn't the same without it.

Loved Tower - but it was noisy and the restraints when they swapped the car around were awful. Never got to ride it with the t-bars. Riding it in its opening year when it reached the top would have been incredible.

While I'm here, will make mention of Lethal Weapon. Terrible coaster, but had some really cool theming, arguably the best themed coaster ever built here until very recently. Corkscrew hurts too, but Leviathan is by all accounts a brilliant replacement.

Edited by Baconjack

It's all subjective because it's all nostalgia berries.

I've often thought that if Lasseter's was at Wonderland people would be singing it's praises as the best themed ride Australia ever had. Seeing it was at SW, and only for a fairly short time, I think it gets forgotten about far more than it deserves. I mean don't get me wrong, Bermuda was much better and definitely an upgrade, but Lasseter's really was a great ride. My memory of it is very hazy though, so if there was one ride I could go on again, that would be my pick, just so I can join the dots on it. Bermuda was better, but I well and truly got my fill there. Also vrry honourable mention to Lil Puff at DW. Fucking loved that shit as a kid, would be nice to be able to remember it properly.

I think for me the stuff I miss is the stuff I have the best memories on, not what was the best. I think DW should have replaced Wipeout with something equivalent, and it was the most beautifully executed flat ride in the country by a fair margin, but I don't miss it as such. What I miss about it was my first ride on it when I was 9. I miss the playground. I miss that feeling of going on an epic adventure on pretty much all of DW's old rides (Log ride, rapids, Captain Sturt, Eureka, The Train and even the vintage cars to an extent back in the day. It's not that they were great rides, but in all cases you didn't know what you were going to see when you went on them. It was like you were going on a journey. I know that's weird to explain to kids today; these days if you started getting excited about not knowing where the ride went, you'd pull out your phone and get a satellite image of the layout. Back then you could have been going anywhere.

Also objectively the best ride to have closed at MW is Gremlins. Maybe its because Scooby is amazing but I feel pretty much nothing about its demise. The park would be better if they had it AS WELL, but one or the other it's Scooby all the way.

• Like 3