Most Iconic Australian Theme Park Attraction

HyprCoastr19

6 minutes ago, Jdude95 said:

Rivals is a great icon to drive past on the M1 with the illuminated joker head but Superman is still regarded as one of the best launched coasters in the world. I guess it would depend on whether we're looking from an enthusiast point of view or from the GP perspective.

I'm asking more about GP, since DC Rivals is certainly the most famous in the enthusiast community. 

Iconic means so many things. For me it's which rides feature in Gold Coast ads/which ones inspire the public's imagination. For my taste that would be 

SW 

Corkscrew Ski Show Dolhpin Show, maybe Polar Bears but probs not.

MW

Superman, Lethal Weapon, PA. Rivals will be just by pure scale but I think its still too new to be 'Iconic'

DW

TIgers, ToT,  Wipeout  Thunderbolt, Log Ride, MAYBE Claw.

WnW

Just the concept of water slides, Dive in Movies.

Overall, probably ToT or Corkscrew. These days Superman and Dolphins.

Edited by joz

Yeah I’m with Joz on this definition. 

It’s not whats the park’s biggest ride, it’s what is actually an icon. And that’s always going to take a good few years to establish. 
It’s also why you give you ride a kick ass name like Thunderbolt or Wild West or Superman!

Not some wishy washy crap like DC Rivals Hypercoaster...

Lets hope Dreamworld keep that in mind when they get to their big coaster. 

10 minutes ago, rappa said:

It’s also why you give you ride a kick ass nam

You know it's funny but there is a point to this. Like I listed Lethal Weapon deliberately, not Arkham, Corkscrew not Sea Viper. Rivals really doesn't have that same thing about it. I think it will be an icon given time (just the scale and impact off the highway), but it doesn't really hit the way it should. I'm sure people are constantly saying let's ride the Hyper Coaster (Which goes against marketing calling it HyperCoaster). Suicide Squad would not have been better, nor would Batman V Joker. Jist Joker might've worked though.

• Like 1

I would say the most iconic ride Australia has ever had was the Tower of Terror.

It might of only had the world record because of a delay, but it is that it held that record is what is important. I think it is what put Australia on the map in terms of theme parks. 

DC Rivals might be too young to be called an icon, but it will definitely grow to become synonymous with the Australian theme park industry. I mean, one can argue it is already the star attraction.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, joz said:

You know it's funny but there is a point to this. Like I listed Lethal Weapon deliberately, not Arkham, Corkscrew not Sea Viper. Rivals really doesn't have that same thing about it. I think it will be an icon given time (just the scale and impact off the highway), but it doesn't really hit the way it should. I'm sure people are constantly saying let's ride the Hyper Coaster (Which goes against marketing calling it HyperCoaster). Suicide Squad would not have been better, nor would Batman V Joker. Jist Joker might've worked though.

Just gotta wait about 10 years for it to find a new, hopefully less awkward, name. Something more fitting of being the first behemoth of its kind in the country. 

I like to judge 'iconic' by public recognition and international fame. And for that, it's an easy pick and it isn't even on the Gold Coast.

Building on Jobe's point, I'd throw in the Wild Mouse or Coney Island at LPS, or the Scenic Railway at LPM. 100%.

All three are well known for their historical value considering they have been around for 50+ years (100+ for scenic railway), are well known on a global level and are pretty significant reasons as to why both parks are tourist attractions for many visiting those cities.

IMO I do not think any of the current attractions on the Gold Coast are more 'iconic' than any of these, with the exception of maybe GD on its own. Literally nobody cares about Superman or WWF outside of Australia. DC Rivals is still relatively new. Sea World has the dolphins but not sure on how 'iconic' they are. DW has nothing other than GD (that I get to later)

If we go by past attractions I'd say there's a few more that can be considered. Corkscrew at SW (and Vikings to a lesser extent) was used quite extensively in marketing materials for the Gold Coast from the 80's to 2000's that also gave it a lot of recognition. On a similar note to Corkscrew, Thunderbolt was the poster boy for early life Dreamworld and the Gold Coast theme parks in general for much of its life. Wipeout saved the park and was a park favourite for many people but not on the level of ToT or Thunderbolt. Finally, the Dreamworld Tower rides combined have a lot of international recognition, broke records, arguably put the Gold Coast on the map and were easily the signature attraction at DW for its entire lifespan (and can be argued it still is, for GD anyway)

Edited by Baconjack

Our parks don't have international recognition. If you're thinking 'What rides do overseas enthusiasts know about?' It's ToT, and maybe Superman, Rivals or Scooby, or just the concept of a third 'Warner Brothers Park'

If you're thinking what do international tourists know about It's probably lorrikeet feeding. Nothing about our parks is special on an international level to normal people. Same as most normal people in Australia haven't heard of Six Flags. Personally, I couldn't think of a group I care about less than international enthusiasts. If they happen to enjoy our stuff then great, but I don't think what's popular in enthusiast circles matters in any meaningful way.

SW:

- Corckscrew

- Dolphin Show

- Ski Show

- Bermuda

- Heck even the Monorail (the iconic promotional shot of the Corkscrew going over the monorail... And the fact it was Australia's first)

- Honourable mentions to Skyway, Vikings and the helicopters. 

- This park also gets my vote as the Gold Coast's most iconic park.

MW: 

- Police Academy 

- Superman 

- Scooby 

- Looney Tunes River Ride 

- Batman Adventure

- I'd also say the characters themselves out in the park i.e. Marilyn Monroe singing in the gold limo 

- WWF for the size of that mountain

- Honourable mention to Lethal Weapon (if it wasn't so rough) Gremlins (Was it there long enough to bed in as an icon? Great dark ride though) and Studio Tour and Movie Magic Special Effects show. 

DW: 

- Wipeout

- Thunderbolt

- Tower of Terror

- Tigers

- Giant Drop

- Paddle Steamer

- Controversially you might say, but pre 2016 tragedy I would have put the Thunder River Rapids in there

- Honourable mention to the IMax theatre (being our first here in Aus and something Longhurst was so proud of), Blue Lagoon & Kenny the Koala, Model T Ford's before they were moved, Steam Train... Maybe Claw 

WnW: 

- Aquaracer 

- White Water Mountain (When they had Terror Canyon) 

- Double Screamer

- Dive In Movies 

- Mammoth Falls 

- Honourable mention to Tornado 

Some of those rides and attractions have been replaced by other iconic attractions i.e. Scooby, others definitely not. 

What I'd like to ask is, most of these rides and attractions were built in the 80's & 90's, bar Scooby and Superman (which arguably are two of the best rides the Coast has produced). 80's & 90's almost seemed like the golden age for doing things real kick ass. What in the last decade (apart from Rivals in the future) have the parks produced that could be considered "iconic"?

Edited by Original

1 hour ago, Original said:

What in the last decade (apart from Rivals in the future) have the parks produced that could be considered "iconic"?

Leviathan has the potential to be almost an instant icon, wooden coaster on the beach in Australia. 

When I think iconic I think, wipeout or bounty’s revenge really unique rides to Oz. 
Superman with its picture ops as you enter movie world, 

Iconic is the thing that pops in your head when you think of that park or that state or country,  Sea world it’s the corkscrew going over the monorail. Luna park the face you walk through 

1 hour ago, Original said:

What in the last decade (apart from Rivals in the future) have the parks produced that could be considered "iconic"?

Leviathan has the potential to be almost an instant icon, wooden coaster on the beach in Australia. 

When I think iconic I think, wipeout or bounty’s revenge really unique rides to Oz. 
Superman with its picture ops as you enter movie world, 

Iconic is the thing that pops in your head when you think of that park or that state or country,  Sea world it’s the corkscrew going over the monorail. Luna park the face you walk through 

I’d agree with that, but I would say Leviathan will actually be in the next decade, opening in 2021. 

Hopefully it kicks the decade off with some great iconic attractions to come. We’ve also got DWs coaster on the way, which in time could also be iconic. 

Fingers crossed to a great decade of our parks and really showing us the creative and just plain fun attractions and shows they can give us. 

On 11/09/2020 at 10:52 PM, joz said:

Jist Joker might've worked though.

I frequently hear and read people referring to it as 'the joker ride' and honestly 'joker's revenge' probably would have been just fine.

For me, Bermuda should rise to the top of these lists, and i'm surprised most of the early replies made no mention of it. The volcano in the middle of the park spewing fire, and the amazing theming on a shoestring budget that blew away the Disney folk who visited. Obviously i'm talking about it in it's prime.

Space probe, while no Giant Drop, had an awesome marketing campaign and storyline, the tie-ins with Ann Sanders and channel 7, the effects and theming, and the overall integration into the park by using it for the night-time laser show on the lake, perched above the waterfall... but again i'm talking about it in its prime.

Iconic and good aren't really the same to me. Like I don't think of Wild West as being iconic, where as DW's log ride certainty is to me. To me it's something like if you were to ask someone from out of town, what would they know about? Same with Bermuda. Ripper of a ride, but not in the first 4 things I think of when I think of SW.

With Wonderland it's Bounty's & Bush Beast. I reckon for a certain generation Space Probe and Demon too. Space Probe dropping on '3', intentional or not was inspired. Before I knew anything else about the ride I knew it did that, it was everyone's favorite story about it

4 hours ago, joz said:

Like I don't think of Wild West as being iconic, where as DW's log ride certainty is to me. To me it's something like if you were to ask someone from out of town, what would they know about?

I guess it depends on the generation, but kids in the 90's and early 00's growing up in the 'blockbuster' era would well know the well the West teaser that appeared on a majority of VHS movies somewhere between the copyright warning and the feature presentation.

I visited MW in '94, and being from Sydney, my next was in '04 - and I didn't know about Lethal until I started planning my 04 trip. But you can bet I knew about WWF. Lethal opened in '95, and WWF opened in '98.

So I guess if your criteria is for folks out of town, its hard to argue WWF isn't a major icon as far as MW goes, but for you as a local, probably less so.

4 hours ago, joz said:

Space Probe dropping on '3', intentional or not was inspired. Before I knew anything else about the ride I knew it did that, it was everyone's favorite story about it

From what I recall, the tower effects were triggered by a separate button on the control console, so the lead operator would depress both dispatch and effect start simultaneously. (the load station had other effects including sound, smoke, lights, and also a retractable roof over the launch bay, many of which were quickly disabled)

There was no link between the drop system and the TVs and the timing was all worked out by the team that installed the effects (I believe the triggers ran off a little x486 PC backstage) based on a new ride. I don't believe they were ever updated as the ride wore in, ropes stretched, winches replaced etc, as they weren't integral to the rides PLC, so they kept their day-1 timings for the life of the ride.

Theoretically the operator could vary the timing of the drop by changing when they pressed the effects trigger.

Later in the piece, module 2 suffered some electrical issues rendering it permanently impaired compared to unit 1 and 3. (I don't remember exactly what was wrong but it was electrical, and the module was essentially kept on life support most of its life). It operated at a slower speed, which is why you'd see gondolas rising at different rates. It caused all sorts of issues with the PLCs expecting the gondola to arrive within a certain time after dispatch before a PLC error shut it down.

The maintenance techs fixed the issue by chucking some one-shot timers into the relay that essentially fooled the PLC into thinking they all arrived together. This threw out the timing of the effects which also meant drops sometimes occurred several seconds after the TVs reached zero and went blank - and in some cases the TVs finished their sequence before you even got to the top.

TL:DR - the effects were always intended to drop on zero, and the psych-out drops on anything but zero were completely unintentional. Sorry to ruin your childhood...