Leviathan Construction Updates

themagician

5 hours ago, themagician said:

The lift hill is only half way to reaching its full height 

do you mean the handrails are only half way up, I hope the lift hill supports were only up half way atm but they seem to be running out of slab to go to much higher, they have some timber footers ready for the next lot to go on top of so I guess we will see soon enough if she goes up or starts levelling off?

Does anyone have the height listed for the coast or the drop at least?

It is also advertised as a family coaster so guess it can't go that high

15 minutes ago, colonelbmx said:Does anyone have the height listed for the coast or the drop at least?

It is also advertised as a family coaster so guess it can't go that high

Its per the press release it’s going to be 30 metres. Very similar in height to Storm. 

You can also build very tall and big family coasters. Height doesn’t always mean thrill. EG you can have a very tall mine train terrain coaster that’s not thrilling. 

55 minutes ago, Whombex said:

It's probably inside the no-fly zone for SW's helipad.

Should be fine. 

• If your drone weighs more than 100 grams, you must fly at least 5.5 kilometres away from a controlled airport, which generally have a control tower at them.
  • If you're near a helicopter landing site or smaller aerodrome without a control tower, you can fly your drone within 5.5 kilometres. If you become aware of manned aircraft nearby, you will have to manoeuvre away and land your drone as quickly and safely as possible.
  • Remember, you must not operate your drone in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, person or property.

From https://www.casa.gov.au/knowyourdrone/drone-rules

I don't know if point 1 or 2 applies to SW, I'm assuming point 2, which then allows drones over 100grams, provided there are no helicopers taking off or landing.

• Like 1

Thanks Naazon,

The DJI Geo-map shows restricted flight areas - and of course Coolangatta and it's approaches are marked as you can see on the bottom-half of this picture - it does not extend up to the spit.

image.thumb.png.6ddb772e0523821e006fd3e0413c9496.png

As you say, helicopter landing zones are permitted flight areas, unless manned aircraft are in operation - Sea World helicopters don't usually operate outside of park hours, so early morning prior to 10, or post-closure after 5pm would be a safe bet, although you could fly at any time during the day provided you observed aircraft operations, and didn't fly over people.

Again, I think even from 20 metres above the dunes would get some killer shots of the coaster construction.

• Like 1

As long as you're not flying over people or buildings then you're generally fairly safe to fly up to like 50m as a general rule. That way you still have visibility and there's little chance of it interrupting any form of air traffic... unless you're launching it right next to a helipad or airport. I might see if I can get down there sometime this week and launch mine and get some cool higher level shots.

I investigated this heavily a few months ago when I got my new drone. 

The rules are pretty straightforward, but become incredibly muddled when airports, roads and private property come into play.

As a general rule, you cannot fly any higher than 120 metres (about the height of the Giant Drop). There is also a rule about keeping 20 metres away from all vehicles, buildings and pedestrians. When it comes to the Seaworld helipads, you can fly within their radius (of 5.5km), however you must bring down the drone as soon as a helicopter takes off (regardless of where you are). 

My tip - fly to the eastern side of Seaworld Drive (at least 20 metres to the side of the road), to avoid any legal issues.

I spoke to Bikash a few months back, and after a couple of incidents at the parks regarding drones, VRTP are quite strict on this issue.

TLDR:

Yes, it's safe to fly the drone, so long as you adhere to the Helipad rules and the 20m road/building rules.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 4.02.24 pm.png

• Like 2

Really excited for this ride. I can already start to imagine how zippy it will be & how much it will pack into a small/medium size woodie. 

It will probably be most Aussie’s first wooden coaster credit, & it will be great to see their reactions. 

I really think it will pave the way for new family coasters here in Aus showing that you don’t need huge stats to be a standout attraction. 

• Like 2