Leviathan Construction Updates

themagician

20 hours ago, StingRay said:

I know many want it to be a theme park. But technically its a marine park but with rides. Many tourists mainly for the Dolphins a polar bears etc. I know some people just go for the rides tho.

This is just a personal view that's all.

Then why don't you just call DW a zoo with rides?

13 minutes ago, Original said:

That's completely different. Sea World is based around marine conservation, and has always intended to be focussed on that. Whereas Dreamworld was originally intended as a theme park with a few Australian animals, and has slowly expanded to also include Tigers. Dreamworld also has far more rides and attractions than Seaworld does.

25 minutes ago, Original said:

@Flynn_Smith pretty just said what I would. If you look back at history Seaworld Australia was set up as a marine park. Yes, there have added rides and attractions and I support that. But at the core of the business its not all about rides and slides. It is about animal conservation. Self-explanatory really.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flynn_Smith said:

That's completely different. Sea World is based around marine conservation, and has always intended to be focussed on that. Whereas Dreamworld was originally intended as a theme park with a few Australian animals, and has slowly expanded to also include Tigers. Dreamworld also has far more rides and attractions than Seaworld does.

7 minutes ago, StingRay said:

If you look back at history Seaworld Australia was set up as a marine park. Yes, there have added rides and attractions and I support that.

Nope. Seaworld started as a ski show and gradually added animals and rides. The heavy reliance on animals only came about in the late 90's. They had heavily themed rides like lassiters (which became Bermuda Triangle) long before there was any conservation message or animals were the main thing.

DW and SW are both theme parks that are severely lacking in rides and good theming. But both are theme parks and this is a really stupid debate to be having.

Edited by auspicious
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

@Flynn_Smith pretty just said what I would. If you look back at history Seaworld Australia was set up as a marine park. Yes, there have added rides and attractions and I support that. But at the core of the business its not all about rides and slides. It is about animal conservation. Self-explanatory really.

I think in more recent years it has become that certainly in response to visitor attitudes and expectations, but when SW first started it was very much ski shows, seals doing tricks and whatever basic amusement rides people liked (without really having a relationship to the sea, eg the Train, Carousel, Lasseters Lost Mine etc.

2 hours ago, Gazza said:

I think in more recent years it has become that certainly in response to visitor attitudes and expectations, but when SW first started it was very much ski shows, seals doing tricks and whatever basic amusement rides people liked (without really having a relationship to the sea, eg the Train, Carousel, Lasseters Lost Mine etc.

100% I should have worded myself a lot better. I was meaning within the recent 20 years. I should have pointed out the period  I was referring too. Most definitely when the park opened it was about the Ski Show and those basic sea animal interactions. 

But over time they have added to that more with the animal experiences including the animals they have now. 

3 hours ago, themagician said:

Straight from the Sea World website 

BCDA3167-8AE0-42C0-9C04-5316FA49C324.jpeg

I don’t think anyones disputing that its a marine park in the vein of the US Seaworlds. Its whether it is a theme park. And the answer is absolutely yes.

Themed areas and rides have been integral to SW for 30+ years. They’ve continued to add new themed rides every few years. 

Also should point out VRT only really started calling it a marine park very recently to soften their image after all the animal activist nonsense. That’s just branding and marketing. It’s still a theme park by any reasonable definition. 

Edited by auspicious

Like, if you have 4 coasters and a Nickelodeon land, then clearly you are in theme park territory.

A marine park would be something like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sea+Life+Park+Hawaii/@21.3139106,-157.6627516,279m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x5def94f09ab5dc01!8m2!3d21.3134069!4d-157.6633398

I could agree Marine Park when the park only had two adult rides. But once Atlantis opens that changes again and it is definitely a theme park. 

Interestingly in my mind Marine Park, but has rides is worse branding wise than a theme park. I don't think rides really have a place in them. But a theme park it does. But hey its one of those that was probably researched and focused grouped to the hilt and for now is the friendliest option. 

But hey I'm going for the hybrid, marine theme park! 😂

I compare Dreamworld to the likes of Busch Gardens. A mix of a theme park and a zoo. I'd compare Seaworld Aus to Seaworld USA but Seaworld USA gives no shits about their animals and has a huge focus on very well done, high impact rides. Seaworld Aus has become a conservation effort as the focus on rides dropped. Now that we are seeing more rides being built, we might finally get a good mix of rides and caring about the animals.

Edited by Jdude95