Leviathan Construction Updates

themagician

It's a fairly cheap way to add some extra impact to the construction site. Throw in a few coloured lights and you've improved the look of the whole area already. When the coaster is complete, take those away and reposition them for their final lighting design or take them away and replace it with the full planned lighting package. 

On 22/10/2020 at 6:57 PM, Jdude95 said:

I love how the "what defines a theme park" debate occurs while @AlexB is off in the middle of nowhere. 

Though, I guess PC is a park that's themed to the outback

Oh FFS - I can't leave you lot alone for five minutes!

Everything on the gold coast is a theme park. Everything in Perth is shit.

Onwards, having just come from the outback, PC is definitely not themed to the outback.

2 hours ago, Rydah Hi said:

(Once again) Is there a Nearmap update? or is it the same?

Richard

In the interests of everyone's sanity, let's try and keep these guidelines in mind when sharing photos from parks.

1. Don't ask for photos
Rest assured if someone is in a position to get photos of something interesting, they will.

Rest assured, everyone (including me) who has access to Nearmap have Nearmap Alerts set up for the parks. If there is an update, we know when it happens, and generally one of us uploads new captures within a day or so. Nearmap doesn't do monthly flyovers, and sometimes you only get one or two a year. We got an extra this year as I figure they probably had extra flights with the airspace so clear. You probably won't see another one for a little while. Please stop asking for nearmap updates!

image.thumb.png.945376c1018bd162d9e1b8b5dc15264c.png

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Rest assured, everyone (including me) who has access to Nearmap have Nearmap Alerts set up for the parks. If there is an update, we know when it happens, and generally one of us uploads new captures within a day or so. Nearmap doesn't do monthly flyovers, and sometimes you only get one or two a year. We got an extra this year as I figure they probably had extra flights with the airspace so clear. You probably won't see another one for a little while. Please stop asking for nearmap updates!

image.thumb.png.945376c1018bd162d9e1b8b5dc15264c.png

Oh, ok, i'm sorry. 

Edited by Rydah Hi

• 2 weeks later...

THE Gold Coast’s newest roller coaster will open in time for the winter school holidays in 2021.

Sea World’s $20 million Leviathan will be the first new wooden rollercoaster built in Australia since the 1980s and has already made its presence felt in the city’s skyline.

The first major peak of the attraction can already been seen soaring above the theme park, with construction only just passing the 25 per cent mark.

Village Roadshow theme parks chief operating officer Bikash Randhawa said the new ride would be a “game changer” for the city.

“We did our research and spoke to a lot of people and what we found was that every park which had a wooden roller coaster saw their attendance go up and this it is great point of difference for us because nobody has done a ride like this in decades,” he said.

“It is an impressive structure and we believe it will feature in almost every future marketing campaign for the city, because it will be the first wooden coaster in the world to also have backwards-facing seats.

“A lot of engineering has gone into this and let me say, you don’t buy a $20 million ride just because you like it, it has to hit the mark (for bringing in new patrons)”.

The Leviathan is the centrepiece of Sea World’s $50 million, 1.5ha New Atlantis precinct which is expected to be completed in mid-late 2021.

It will stand at 32m tall and its carriages will hit speeds of up to 80 km/h along its 1km track.

Village Roadshow had initially planned to open it for Christmas 2020 but construction was delayed because of the COVID-19 shutdown of theme parks.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/future-gold-coast/gold-coast-theme-parks-first-look-at-sea-worlds-new-wooden-roller-coaster/news-story/886299411d58db1e2fdc5d508c669b05

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lots of backwards coasters, not many that have backwards seats on a forward facing train. Only one I can think of is Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain. It's not as world's first as it could be, but I'm kind of willing to let them have it with an a note that says 'one one train on a modern coaster that isn't some in house cobbled together bodge job'

1 minute ago, joz said:

Lots of backwards coasters, not many that have backwards seats on a forward facing train. Only one I can think of is Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain. It's not as world's first as it could be, but I'm kind of willing to let them have it with an a note that says 'one one train on a modern coaster that isn't some in house cobbled together bodge job'

1) I cant believe I forgot LoCoSuMo. Legitimately one of the best wooden coasters in the world.

2) It was built by CCI not in house, its just that they only sold one of this type before going bust in the same year.

I mean, I was willing to let DC Rivals pass because Hollywood Dream Backdrop isn't tall enough to be a hyper.
But backwards wooden coasters are not a new thing in the slightest.

On 10/11/2020 at 2:50 PM, joz said:

the swarm has backwards seats