Leviathan Construction Updates

themagician

On 06/12/2020 at 10:50 PM, HussRainbow87 said:

Be interesting to see if the Sky Flyer is still being made by Funtime.... arguably the best chain ride manufacturer in the world, the 80m models are just beautiful machines!

Just seen it reported that the Seaworld SkyFlyer is NOT from Funtime. There is a Funtime model coming to Australia however and it appears to be a travelling model.

Global ride manufacturer Funtime has announced that one of their premier attractions - the Star Flyer - is coming to Australia.

The 85 metre high, 24-seat Star Flyer will be themed and be seen at numerous high-profile locations around Australia, especially the Gold Coast.

The market leader in the large chair ride market having developed the product over the last 15 years, Funtime has sold and installed 51 large Star Flyer rides around the world.

One of its most recent installations has been a 145 metre version in Orlando, Florida, USA with the company advising “demand for the super tall attraction has been amazing”.

Representatives from Funtime are excited about the prospect of one of their top attractions coming to Australia as, they advise “the rides have been the absolute standout at locations and events all round the world”.

Having been linked with an installation within Sea World’s New Atlantis precinct, a Funtime spokesperson told Australasian Leisure Management “they say imitation is a form of flattery, but (not securing that sale was) hard to take after such a long and expensive development process.

“So instead of having to see somehting that we feel is not as good as our fine product … a deal has been reached and a 24-seat Star Flyer chair ride is Australia bound.

“Australia deserves a proper large chair ride not an inferior small product.”

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/funtime-star-flyer-ride-coming-to-australia/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=7th December&utm_content=7th December+CID_1234f70e91dddcbb28

4 minutes ago, Jobe said:

Just seen it reported that the Seaworld SkyFlyer is NOT from Funtime. There is a Funtime model coming to Australia however and it appears to be a travelling model.

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/funtime-star-flyer-ride-coming-to-australia/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=7th December&utm_content=7th December+CID_1234f70e91dddcbb28

Ok well that’s news to all of us! Interesting to see how something like that could travel here because they’re enormous! Excited none the less

On 06/12/2020 at 6:52 PM, colonelbmx said:

What goes up must come down. 

B790B7B2-B91C-45C0-9283-288EDC9A88AC.jpeg

I mentioned the bracing on this one being quite beefy. Leviathan is said to be 32 metres high, according to RCDB. For comparison, Bush Beast was 27.5 metres high.

image.png.dfdc27a4c65a2d072acf43ac3158849d.png

Just a comparison - i understand why Leviathan has so much more bracing, just giving a visual to those who don't see many woodies.

• Like 3

On 06/12/2020 at 9:30 PM, Smol bean said:

Ngl I would love this song to be played in the queue of leviathan considering the water theme 

It's the wrong type of water theme though, needs to sound more mysterious and dramatic given its themed around a sea monster.

Spongebob music is too summery and upbeat, but might suit something like a family ride, or the reef themed area at Castaway Bay.

It'll likely be something like this

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1

On 09/12/2020 at 7:11 AM, AlexB said:

I mentioned the bracing on this one being quite beefy. Leviathan is said to be 32 metres high, according to RCDB. For comparison, Bush Beast was 27.5 metres high.

image.png.dfdc27a4c65a2d072acf43ac3158849d.png

Just a comparison - i understand why Leviathan has so much more bracing, just giving a visual to those who don't see many woodies.

Also this picture of Leviathan has 4 tracks running through this one area where bush beast only has 2 

Actually i've been discussing this with other folks interested in this sort of thing, and it turns out there may be another reason for the differences in bracing - Beast had a large concrete anchor on the inside of the two large curves, and had numerous support cables anchored to it that extended up to various points around the curves.

I'm lead to believe this method is not employed by gravity group \ leviathan, so this may be the main explanation for the differences rather than the number of track crossovers.

image.png.66a5f00d07d3645d188e84449f300d29.png

• Love it! 1

12 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

I'd be curious to see how many new build woodies have anchored tension cables. 

Generally, none.  They have largely been phased out in favor of batter-based structures.  Plus, companies typically prefer to provide lateral support on the outside of a curve.  There are a few outliers though.  For instance, when Georgia Cyclone was RMCed, it retained some of the tension cables.  However, those areas were also reinforced with more heavy duty tie rods.

Ok, I'm done nerding. 

• Like 2

On 06/12/2020 at 11:20 PM, Jdude95 said:

@StingRay That didn't take long for them to Bush Beast it

well ill never. I cant believe they finally did it.

On 10/12/2020 at 5:30 PM, AlexB said:

Actually i've been discussing this with other folks interested in this sort of thing, and it turns out there may be another reason for the differences in bracing - Beast had a large concrete anchor on the inside of the two large curves, and had numerous support cables anchored to it that extended up to various points around the curves.

I'm lead to believe this method is not employed by gravity group \ leviathan, so this may be the main explanation for the differences rather than the number of track crossovers.

image.png.66a5f00d07d3645d188e84449f300d29.png

Never forget the "fan curve".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...