Leviathan Construction Updates

themagician

14 hours ago, Gazza said:

SBF Visa by the look of the renderings.

@HussRainbow87 the prospect of a genuine 80m star flyer sounds good.

Do you think we will continue to see more of these smaller pop up "State Fair" type carnivals happening this year too? Obviously they were borne out of Covid causing the capital city shows to be cancelled.

But to be honest, I think we should have more of these free admission carnivals happening everywhere (As you see in Germany and the Netherlands). Seems a waste to have large rides that only get used like 4-5 times per year at the main captial city shows.

Depends really, I can only really say for the Beast as it works the most out of any of the XXL’s worldwide. When I travelled with it in 2019, we finished the year on 23 (approx 46 setups/pack ups combined) jobs. Pretty impressive to say the least for a 3 trailer ride. 

The current fair we’re at in Epping (Melb) has been exceptionally popular and the public have really gotten behind it. Looks like most country shows will be back this year, so I’m guessing these “state fairs” will probably come to an end eventually. 

Interesting to see SBF possibly taking the manufacturing for this one. Not the biggest fan of their models, but it will be popular nonetheless. 

• Like 1

I'm always conflicted by SBF. Something about their models feels very coin-operated-mall-ride-ish. Their spinning coasters feel like what you would get if you ordered a spinning coaster on Wish.

That being said, some of their thrill models on their website look decent, so I'll withhold judgment until I ride Trident for myself.

Trident

undefined

image.thumb.png.904577eec215ec5f6b9375b50a3896b3.png

Compare the design of the tower with the bracing at the base, the method for hanging the seat, the "hamburger" thing that forms the central hub etc. Points to SBF Visa.

Could well be a taller version.

The trident and the height above water wouldn't be enough to make the 32m model reach 42m As per the description.... 

(Towering in the heart of The New Atlantis precinct, defy gravity as you soar and spin freely 42 metres above the realm of the utopian destination)

On 10/02/2021 at 12:14 PM, jhunt2 said:

I'm always conflicted by SBF. Something about their models feels very coin-operated-mall-ride-ish. Their spinning coasters feel like what you would get if you ordered a spinning coaster on Wish.

That being said, some of their thrill models on their website look decent, so I'll withhold judgment until I ride Trident for myself.

Totally agree. Their stuff isn’t the nicest designed. 

• 2 weeks later...

For our area, it’s exciting to see a modern wooden coaster in the country again. Thumbs up to those at village who signed off and got this going, shows some major planning to foresight to get this. 

it should be a very good roller coaster ride, but for that little corner of the park, it is quite ugly..

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

Thumbs up to those at village who signed off and got this going

You should direct your thumb towards Dreamworld then...

57 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

for that little corner of the park, it is quite ugly..

That little corner used to be under water. As an enthusiast, there's nothing more picturesque for me than the angles, shadows and shapes that make up a woody structure.

It’s not exactly an architectural beauty. With all the issues sea world has had on the spit previously, I’m surprised there wasn’t more uproar about this ride going in.

As an enthusiast, it’s a mix of wood, steel, and nails, and it looks like a good roller coaster, but it’s not exactly pretty. Pretty is something I’d consider the Tree of Life, the floating mountains in avatar, and so on. This roller coaster is as beautiful as scaffolding on a construction site. 

Don’t get me wrong, i’m excited for this ride, I love wooden roller coasters. When I did the DCP in Orlando, I would hog Gwazi, even in its limped form. 

I do not quite understand your dreamworld comment though. 

...and you call yourself an enthusiast.

The reason you should direct your thumbs up to Dreamworld is because the person who 'signed off and got this going' now works for Dreamworld.

As for the structure - I never said 'pretty' nor did I say 'architectural beauty' I just said picturesque. And it is. Heck, the wooden coaster aesthetic was so desirable for the theme Disney even made a Steel Coaster that looks like a woodie to suit.

As for the issues on the spit, while I CBF finding it for you, i'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find that the spit height restrictions previously the demise of the Sea World Eye are no longer a problem for the park.

45 minutes ago, Jdude95 said:

Been speaking to the Dippin Dots guy again? 
If you ask the current leadership team, they will take full responsibility for every aspect of New Atlantis because why credit a guy who doesn't even work here anymore? 

Nope. But I'm pretty sure Bikash went on a trip to China and rode the Jungle Blazer (or whatever they're called) wooden coasters by MVR in China, which convinced him to get one for SW. I also believe the decision to create a whole new 'precinct' only came about not too long before the announcement (ie. it certainly hasn't been years in the planning). I could be wrong on this, but don't think I am.

• Like 1

Whoever at village found this ride and managed to encourage the board to spend the money on it should be thanked. It’s a good ride for Australia. I never thought I would see the day where Australia is getting a new wooden roller coaster. The rest of the Atlantis project seems so lacklustre, but the coaster is something else..

28 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

Nope. But I'm pretty sure Bikash went on a trip to China and rode the Jungle Blazer (or whatever they're called) wooden coasters by MVR in China, which convinced him to get one for SW. I also believe the decision to create a whole new 'precinct' only came about not too long before the announcement (ie. it certainly hasn't been years in the planning). I could be wrong on this, but don't think I am.

I rode Blue Fire at Europa, so you can personally thank me for Steel Taipan...

23 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

Slight difference between a theme park enthusiast going for a joy ride and a theme park executive on a fact finding mission to purchase a new attraction.

Tbf it doesn’t make any difference when both the enthusiast and the executive can claim the same amount of credit for actually securing the ride. 

4 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

Tbf it doesn’t make any difference when both the enthusiast and the executive can claim the same amount of credit for actually securing the ride. 

It wasn't the executive claiming credit, it was me suggesting that the comment that a Village executive who is no longer with the company is responsible for the New Atlantis is not correct. I agree that there are former Village execs who deserve a lot of credit for their contributions. But my understanding is that the New Atlantis was decided on and signed off by execs who are still with the company 

Edited by GoGoBoy

9 minutes ago, TomiJ said:

Does it really mater, who actually cares. 

I do think it's useful to know who's responsible for making the big decisions that essentially change the face of our parks. It gives an idea of possible future direction. Just look at the attractions we got when John Menzies was in charge - absolutely world class.