Leviathan Construction Updates

themagician

2 minutes ago, themagician said:

So we started out with this opening schedule

Vortex - Dec 2019

Trident - April 2020

Leviathan - Dec 2020

Then Trident and Leviathan swapped opening dates.

Then Vortex changed to April 2020, then September 2020 and finally opening in Dec 2020.

Trident and Leviathan then had a September 2021, then a December 2021 and now Easter 2022.

When they finally open, it would’ve been at least 3 years since they were announced. That’s Disney level announcement to opening time frames. Obviously Covid had a part in the majority of this, but it’s interesting to look at the long opening timeframes that these attractions have gone through.

How’s that compare with Taipan’s schedule?

11 minutes ago, themagician said:

Obviously Covid had a part in the majority of this, but it’s interesting to look at the long opening timeframes that these attractions have gone through.

Does Covid really wash as an excuse with Trident having a 2 year delay?

@DaptoFunlandGuyDW started the tender process in June/July 2019. 

Edited by New display name

7 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

How’s that compare with Taipan’s schedule?

Taipan was originally meant to open in "Late 2020" I believe so a years delay... Trident's delay is double that and Leviathan's will be about 30% longer (If they all open as currently advertised)

14 minutes ago, themagician said:

Obviously Covid had a part in the majority of this, but it’s interesting to look at the long opening timeframes that these attractions have gone through.

It's hard to say it was mostly Covid when one attraction originally should have opened before Covid hit our shores, and the second a couple of weeks after businesses closed down in Queensland, hardly enough time to construct the ride.

Can you blame them though? They'll be wanting to get as much return on their investment as possible - not sure they'd love sending out half empty cycles a week after opening a la Vortex. March/April is a solid bet that domestic tourism will be back in full swing.

I'm genuinely surprised DW are pushing ahead with ST's opening this year.

1 hour ago, Flea said:

Can you blame them though? They'll be wanting to get as much return on their investment as possible - not sure they'd love sending out half empty cycles a week after opening a la Vortex. March/April is a solid bet that domestic tourism will be back in full swing.

If i'm honest, i think DW might be on the money with this one...

Both VIC and NSW are hitting their vaccine targets 1-2 months before Christmas. There genuinely could be a good chance the borders open for the fully vaccinated - and if that happens in time for Christmas, there'll be an enormous influx of tourists from the south. I can dream right? 

• Like 1

Borders reopening in time for the Summer holidays is a big if. If you were top dog would you take a punt on that if? I’d say with DW essentially committing to a 2021 opening, they’ve weighed up the risks v benefits of going head to head and decided the local market won’t really sustain two major attraction openings.

Don’t really buy the part shipping delays they mentioned earlier in the year. This is tactical

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Flea said:

If you watch any state premier deliver the morning's covid update on any given day, you'll be less surprised - once you see the amount of people who comment 'FIRST!' - despite not being first.

I'm sure Village can afford to wait (although, the ride construction timeline so far does not suggest they're 'intentionally waiting') - but Dreamworld really can't afford to limp on any longer - they need something now to bring people back - and beating Village to the punch means they'll get a solid couple months where the "Movie world or Dreamworld" question is  for a short time an easy answer for many. (before anyone asks - still not for me).

There's a reason we've almost never seen a ride launch in the Easter holidays. It's a weak offering. Easter is the last hurrah before seasonal parks shut down for the Winter (which now includes two on the Gold Coast)

TL:DR - I get why Village is waiting, and they can afford to. Dreamworld can't. Honestly I think it benefits them both to be staggered rather than fighting over the same piece of pie.

• Like 2

It certainly gives a strong leg up to DW this holiday period. Room occupancy is looking strong so far for the holiday period on the coast, and thats currently based purely on regional/state based travel, and will be further buoyed if some level of interstate travel gets the tick. 

It is super disappointing thought, especially in Leviathan's case, given from the outside looking in to the average punter, the ride looks basically completed and has done for a quite some time, and little to no visible work is being done on it. To hear it will be another 6 months + months away isnt great....

16 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

It is super disappointing thought, especially in Leviathan's case, given from the outside looking in to the average punter, the ride looks basically completed and has done for a quite some time, and little to no visible work is being done on it. To hear it will be another 6 months + months away isnt great....

It is super disappointing that I won't be in the country when this thing opens now.  Maybe I can set up another dummy testing gig before I go @DaptoFunlandGuy.

15 minutes ago, New display name said:

It is super disappointing that I won't be in the country when this thing opens now.  Maybe I can set up another dummy testing gig before I go @DaptoFunlandGuy.

That's a really good point - will Village be screwing the pooch with all this pent up desire for overseas travel, if travel is starting to get its legs by Easter (and warmer climates hitting the northern hemisphere) - will all those out-of-staters they're holding out for be going elsewhere?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

desire for overseas travel

For me it's the desire to see family which I haven't seen for a few years.  Family reunions might dictate where people travel more than people wanting to go to a theme park.  Sneaking in a couple of theme parks is the cream on the top.

On 08/10/2021 at 11:47 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

That's a really good point - will Village be screwing the pooch with all this pent up desire for overseas travel, if travel is starting to get its legs by Easter (and warmer climates hitting the northern hemisphere) - will all those out-of-staters they're holding out for be going elsewhere?

I think people will want to venture overseas mainly. 

The local market will have some positive growth but I see it being a slow growth. Even with cheaper passes on sale via a 3rd party fr Dreamworld, I don't think it's enough to sway people. However, they might get good numbers over Christmas but have a slump during that Easter period when we know international travel is all good again. 

I don't think VRTP are intentionally holding out for easter as I've already mentioned. They've said easter as it gives them a good amount of time to ensure the project is finally delivered. 

It will be a game of wait and see. 

I guess it depends on how much of their marketing campaign focussed on 'buy this to ride this'.

I'm sure a lot of social media comments talked about this very question, but i'm sure a lot of folks would have bought regardless. I don't think this should be an automatic blanket extension (although if someone wants a refund, and hasn't \ has barely used it because they were waiting for the new big ride maybe).

But if Village's primary one pass marketing was 'buy this to ride this' I think they probably should be considering some good faith gestures since they haven't delivered anything in Atlantis on time, and more than one isn't even going to hit its second revised opening date.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Naazon said:

20211023_172538.jpg

Cream is an interesting choice. I know a lot of people are going to argue that they'll hide this foliage or something, but it's going to be very hard to hide the giant cream coloured shed when the entrance is like 10 metres away and it'll be an eye sore from areas like the Nick Jr. precinct. There is hope that the metal frame work will hold some sort of theming but considering that angle you're still going to see a vast majority of that shed. 

Sea Viper - Sea World (Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia)

I would have much preferred to see something similar to Sea Viper but for those playing Aussie coaster bingo you can tick off Colourbond shed. 

Edited by Dom
  • Like 1