Australian Season Passes

Guest 239

Do we feel that our parks need to embrace a different season pass scheme? I find it surprising that both Dreamworld and VRTP only offer very basic season pass offerings unlike a lot of parks overseas. Personally I'd be interested in seeing some more expensive passes introduced with discounts, further additions and benefits. 

I believe the easiest way they could implement this is to keep the current season pass as the base offering so that the general public doesn't lose their minds over increased prices and then add 'levels' above that with increased benefits. For example you could leave the base One Pass at $250 which just includes entry into the parks, then have a Gold pass with 10% off food and merchandise for $350, and perhaps a platinum pass for $499 which includes unlimited entry into events such as FN & Carnivale, 20% of food and merchandise and some other exclusive offerings. 

This means that their offerings essentially remain the same but for those wanting to get more out of the parks they can pay for it. Also I wouldn't be against them adding a cheaper Season Pass with block out days for weekends and holidays which could eventually become the base pass.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think our parks are fine the way they are or do you think they should start offering tiered passes?

Edited by CaptainLazerGuns
  • Like 2

I think the passes are fine the way they are now. They don't need to always emulate their brother and sister parks overseas. 

As far as i'm aware, my current Dreamworld pass already has a fair few member benefits, including 10% food and merchandise, unlimited photo pass and discounted/free entry to their events - which is something i think is certainly lacking from VRTP's offerings. 

As for the idea of a platinum pass, i think it could work, but certainly not with unlimited entry to their after-park events - in a financial sense, at least.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, themagician said:

Right now you can get 50% (or up to $50) off pass a through the Destination Gold Coast website with the promo code PLAYMONEY. So it’s $50 for DW pass or $110 for VRTP

DW ones sold out overnight. None available anymore. At $50 for an annual pass that’s not surprising  though 

There was indeed a short period when Dreamworld passes were "unavailable" under the Destination GC promo.

Personally I wish a premium pass offering were available, I liked how Dreamworld previously had the Platinum Pass with 2 Years validity and 15% discount rather than 10%.

VRTP recently emailed out a survey to some One Pass holders asking about longer length passes (18-36 moths) and if you would visit the night events if they were not included. 

Edited by Park Addict 93

23 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Well with a Dreamworld pass costing 99 dollars, and now only 50, I am not going to be impressed by higher attendance... 

To clarify this promotion was not Dreamworld specifically, it was Destination Gold Coast (Gold Coast Tourism) and ExperienceOz offering 50% off up to $50 on a variety of experiences for Gold Coast Locals. They have already "sold out" (10000 codes were made available). 

Adventure World's platinum pass usually retails for above $200. It gives you great discounts on food and entry to their night events. It also includes a couple of fast passes, discounted entry for up to 8 friends and a reduced price for a cabana.

https://adventureworld.net.au/pricing/platinum-season-pass/

Copy-of-Benefits-3.png

• Like 1

11 years ago these were the offerings and prices for DW/WWW passes 

35D783F2-A2D8-4784-B498-565622A1B1E2.jpeg

BCCEAA3B-BF4B-4ACD-9C24-3DA804A5FE0B.jpeg

F7510913-A6E9-455D-B4D9-F60A2BF00DE7.jpeg

And an annual pass just for MW was $180

2FC4B21B-516E-4EAB-AB3C-E0AB3F8C7E61.thumb.jpeg.a888c9b1d5c06db2ec2955596a2d4077.jpeg
People would be outraged today if they had to pay those prices. To think 11 years ago the price for a 12 month pass for just one park is the same for all 4 parks today

Edited by themagician
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, themagician said:

People would be outraged today if they had to pay those prices. To think 11 years ago the price for a 12 month pass for just one park is the same for all 4 parks today

It is pretty wild that overtime as the parks have expanded and improved their offerings that the passes have technically gotten cheaper. I'd say the justification is that the more people they can get through their gates the better but I honestly wonder whether it's a quantity over quality issue?

Also I agree that people would be outraged if they had to pay those prices for Movie World but I wonder why they got away with it back in the day. Has the quality of the park changed?

On 10/10/2020 at 9:52 PM, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Well with a Dreamworld pass costing 99 dollars, and now only 50, I am not going to be impressed by higher attendance... 

$50 is way too cheap for a season pass. Hell even $99 is. I honestly can't fathom how they make a profit with those prices.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

$50 is way too cheap for a season pass. Hell even $99 is. I honestly can't fathom how they make a profit with those prices.

Food & beverage sales, plus merch.

And also it gets the place looking busier, which attracts people. Plus those cheap pass people might drag friends along who pay more.

And ultimately, 1000 passes at $50 is a greater income of 0 passes at $99. Many of those purchases will be impulse buys, rather than price watchers waiting for a cheaper option (as $99 is a reasonably good price anyway). We have no plans to buy a pass in the next 6 months at the moment, but had I have qualified, I would have bought one for each of my family.

Edited by red dragin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, red dragin said:

Definitely some good and fair points. I guess if the park is busier then you're going to second guess whenever you jump into a line which leaves you open to more opportunities to purchasing upcharges, food and drink whereas if you blast through the park because it's quiet then you're going to leave earlier or go off property for food. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, red dragin said:

And also it gets the place looking busier, which attracts people. Plus those cheap pass people might drag friends along who pay more.

And ultimately, 1000 passes at $50 is a greater income of 0 passes at $99. Many of those purchases will be impulse buys, rather than price watchers waiting for a cheaper option (as $99 is a reasonably good price anyway). We have no plans to buy a pass in the next 6 months at the moment, but had I have qualified, I would have bought one for each of my family.

I wasn't aware of this until now. We have 0 plans to go but would have bought 1 each for our family if there were any left.

On 10/10/2020 at 1:41 PM, CaptainLazerGuns said:

Do we feel that our parks need to embrace a different season pass scheme? I find it surprising that both Dreamworld and VRTP only offer very basic season pass offerings unlike a lot of parks overseas. Personally I'd be interested in seeing some more expensive passes introduced with discounts, further additions and benefits. 

I believe the easiest way they could implement this is to keep the current season pass as the base offering so that the general public doesn't lose their minds over increased prices and then add 'levels' above that with increased benefits. For example you could leave the base One Pass at $250 which just includes entry into the parks, then have a Gold pass with 10% off food and merchandise for $350, and perhaps a platinum pass for $499 which includes unlimited entry into events such as FN & Carnivale, 20% of food and merchandise and some other exclusive offerings. 

This means that their offerings essentially remain the same but for those wanting to get more out of the parks they can pay for it. Also I wouldn't be against them adding a cheaper Season Pass with block out days for weekends and holidays which could eventually become the base pass.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think our parks are fine the way they are or do you think they should start offering tiered passes?

100%. Our parks struggle to even break even. I am all for this method. I hear people mention sometimes things like extending the pass for two years etc. That does not benefit the company tho. Only the pass holder. Different companies go about this differently. VRTP could easily do this seeing they have multiple sites across the GC. This could also include accommodation and even cheaper movie tickets.

Consumers want benefits. You don't get them with a cheap pass. A company sells a cheap ticket knowing they've just lost a lot of money. They have then inadvertently ensured you don't spend a whole lot of cash within their property (potentially) because they passed on a cheap ticket.

So having these different levels of memberships is a great idea. It shows exactly what benefits one would get and why. Dreamworld I feel do this slightly better as you get the F&B cheaper discounts along with merchandise. That's a small win for any company. Why VRTP has not followed that in recent years I don't understand.

The biggest issue is we saturated the market with lower prices and people get the shits even when the price goes up by a small amount. If you live on the GC great. You get locals pass. Being interstate I get slugged with the expensive version but I don't mind it honestly. Because I know the true value of the ticket. I don't also visit regularly so maybe that's why I appreciate my pass a little more.

I think two simple tiers would work well. Unlimited entry to standard operating days and events with a small discount (10%) on f&b and merchandise. Second is unlimited entry to all standard operating days and events and five special events with (25/30%) f&b and merchandise. These two tiers have a massive price chance tho. The first option stays around the $200 range and the second would be around $400/450 given you get the specials events included.

Sounds a lot yes. You need to look at the big picture tho.

Obviously, I don't see parks wanting o up the prices for at least another year at this stage. All the parks need all the ticket sales they can get currently.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with you @CaptainLazerGuns that they need to start lifting the price point, and leaving a 'basic' pass at the current pricing levels would reduce the ire they would receive, and then, slowly, removing the lower tiers, or lifting them up without giving away the gate.

Our pass prices have been too low for too long that everyone just expects a years' entertainment for $100. Village could probably quite easily command $300+ a year with the current (and soon to be constructed) offerings.

As has been said previously, Dreamworld would do well to (slightly) undercut that pricepoint.

The practice of bargain-basement all-inclusive pass pricing, $100-200 for year-round access, with night events and photo passes and fast passes and discounts needs to stop.

8 hours ago, AlexB said:

Our pass prices have been too low for too long that everyone just expects a years' entertainment for $100. Village could probably quite easily command $300+ a year with the current (and soon to be constructed) offerings.

I don't disagree that access to VRTP's parks is currently undervalued but I highly doubt the average family would be willing to fork over over $1000 for four passes. We have already had two increases to the One Pass price ($139 at launch, then $149 and now $159). I think that VRTP and the pricing review they undertook prior to the launch of One Pass means they have a reasonable idea of the price they can expect from most consumers. 

I would hope they can reach the $200 mark with the current inclusions within 5 years but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't.

Dreamworld is about to end their $99 pass special at the end of the month, will be interesting to see what they offer in November and if they simply return to their pre covid closing price of $139.

VRTP actually do have a discounted 12m pass currently that does not include night events or discounts and can only be purchased from third party's (and has also been previously offered as an incentive for TVC filming).

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 6.28.36 pm.png

Edited by Park Addict 93

2 minutes ago, Park Addict 93 said:

I highly doubt the average family would be willing to fork over over $1000 for four passes

Good.

I've said it before. Put simply, those who don't buy them will be offset by the increased price of those who do. 

But the tiered offerings mentioned above lessen the blow of that even further. Keep your $159 One Pass. Hell - keep charging less for Locals One Pass - just don't give away the gate with it.

The base price for both chains should include entry to parks. nothing more. no night events. no discounts. no fastpasses or photopasses. Maybe even block them out for Peak periods (and then don't give in to the whingers who complain, like they did with the non-VIP-GOLD passes years back)....

So, your average family can still have their average access to the parks. They just don't get the upper inclusions unless they value them - and the price difference should be competitive enough to encourage that. For example, if the next tier up includes White Christmas and Carnivale (or whatever the hell they're doing now) for an extra $50 - some people will see value in that. Charge another $50 to include Fright Nights and Spooky Nights. So now you've got another $100 just to attend the night events. Chuck in a free drink on the night to sweeten the deal. Make exclusive merch to encourage spending. Go up another $50 from there, and for that price, remove block out dates, and allow fastpass reservations on the app (1 ride at a time) - that's got you up to $309 for what is essentially a premium product. I'd pay that. For my whole family. And I know others that would too. There's probably quite a few people here that would as well. 

And the lower tiers with block out dates wouldn't be choking the parks during peak periods, making the holidaymakers and one-time visitors experiences even better. 

Bring it on. 

• Like 4