Australian Season Passes

Guest 239

28 minutes ago, Park Addict 93 said:

I highly doubt the average family would be willing to fork over over $1000 for four passes.

What makes you say that though?

I know many many families that fork out more than that per year for season tickets to their NRL/AFL team, and that’s only for 12 games over the course of 6 months.

cost is irrelevant, it’s all about value, or perceived value. 

If a family of 4 pays $1000 for the 4 passes, if that family attends the parks 2 times per month,  that’s $41.66 per visit for the family, or a tick of $10pp. Compare that to any other activity on the GC. Movies, bowling, putt putt, time zone etc etc costs more, and only for a limited 2 hour window. 

plenty of families had passes back when they were $250-$300 each with the 3 park passes back in the day, myself included. 

Edited by Brad2912

I get the point you are making but I think VRTP have done the maths and that’s why we have the price structure you see today, I doubt the amount of people willing to pay more would offset those they lose for drastically increasing the price (or removing access during holidays).

I would happily pay $309 for the product you described, heck I paid $299 for a “MyFun Mega Pass” with access to SW/MW/WNW and less benefits than a current One Pass. But outside the enthusiast community I don’t think many would be willing to pay much more for inclusions you get today.

6 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

What makes you say that though?

Talking to colleagues for one, those with kids and are current pass holders. 

6 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

cost is irrelevant, it’s all about value, or perceived value.

Cost isn’t irrelevant it’s a factor, and many would see last year I got all this for $159 and now they want $200+ for the exact same thing. Instead I’m going to Dreamworld/Australia Zoo.

I don’t disagree that the parks are worth the money, but when they decided to offer $99 yearly access (and cheaper with promotions such as Buy 3 Get 1 free) they devalued the parks in the eyes of the general public.

Edited by Park Addict 93

38 minutes ago, Park Addict 93 said:

I get the point you are making but I think VRTP have done the maths and that’s why we have the price structure you see today, 

That's what gets me with these discussions. 

The bean counters at the various companies know what they need to charge to keep the lights on and make a profit. Certainly much better than the enthusiast community. 

Edited by red dragin
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Park Addict 93 said:

I don’t disagree that the parks are worth the money, but when they decided to offer $99 yearly access (and cheaper with promotions such as Buy 3 Get 1 free) they devalued the parks in the eyes of the general public.

What you describe makes it sound like they'll never leave the $99 price point. But price increases are inevitable. 

Scenario 1

Village: We're charging $99 for a yearly pass!

Everyone: Sold!

Scenario 2

Village: We're increasing the price of our yearly passes!

Everyone: I AM OUTRAGED!

Scenario 3

Village: We're keeping a $99 pass!

Everyone: YAY!

Village: but you get a little less.

Everyone: Awww.

Village: but you can get a little more if you pay a little extra!

Everyone: Hmmm. I'll consider whether I value those extras for the extra cost, but I guess I can still pay what i've always paid for a YEARS worth of entertainment if I don't think the extras are worth it!

I haven't attended fright nights in at least 4-5 years. I've been to white christmas once in the past 6 years. I went to the first Carnivale. So night events aren't really a big interest for me right now. But i'd still be spending $309 on the top tier in my previous post for the value and inclusions I mentioned earlier - even if I didn't go to night events.

The point is, just because YOU don't think other people will see value in things, doesn't mean they don't. Because to you, I am 'other people' and I see value in it. Pre-2008, clearly that pricing model worked. 2008 was GFC time. The parks needed to drive visitation. But they waited too long in the race to the bottom that everyone got used to the idea and now they're stuck there. The only way to get out of the hole they've dug is to lift it up again despite whatever backlash they get, until people get used to the new normal. 

20 minutes ago, red dragin said:

The bean counters at the various companies know what they need to charge to keep the lights on and make a profit. Certainly much better than the enthusiast community. 

Do the bean counters rely on government grants to build infrastructure and attractions in all theme parks these days? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, red dragin said:

Not sure how many financial results you’ve looked at, but our parks haven’t been pulling much of a profit for a long time. Punters (not just enthusiasts) are demanding more rides, experiences, upgrades - and the only way to provide that is with increased prices. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AlexB said:

What you describe makes it sound like they'll never leave the $99 price point. But price increases are inevitable. 

You mean like the ones I mentioned in my initial post? 

1 hour ago, Park Addict 93 said:

We have already had two increases to the One Pass price ($139 at launch, then $149 and now $159). 

22 minutes ago, AlexB said:

The point is, just because YOU don't think other people will see value in things, doesn't mean they don't. Because to you, I am 'other people' and I see value in it. Pre-2008, clearly that pricing model worked. 2008 was GFC time. The parks needed to drive visitation. But they waited too long in the race to the bottom that everyone got used to the idea and now they're stuck there. The only way to get out of the hole they've dug is to lift it up again despite whatever backlash they get, until people get used to the new normal. 

I would argue this is what they are already doing/have done, screenshot from a 2019 Strategy ASX presentation.

If it was as easy as pricing as you believe and that everyone would see the value why have they not done so? Gradual incremental price increases are the way to do it, not shock guests away from your product altogether into alternatives. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 8.29.32 pm.png

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

So, your average family can still have their average access to the parks. They just don't get the upper inclusions unless they value them - and the price difference should be competitive enough to encourage that. For example, if the next tier up includes White Christmas and Carnivale (or whatever the hell they're doing now) for an extra $50 - some people will see value in that. Charge another $50 to include Fright Nights and Spooky Nights. So now you've got another $100 just to attend the night events. Chuck in a free drink on the night to sweeten the deal. Make exclusive merch to encourage spending. Go up another $50 from there, and for that price, remove block out dates, and allow fastpass reservations on the app (1 ride at a time) - that's got you up to $309 for what is essentially a premium product. I'd pay that. For my whole family. And I know others that would too. There's probably quite a few people here that would as well. 

Not only would I pay that, I would have much more incentive to use my pass and go to the parks rather than just knowing I can go whenever I want because they direct debit $10 a month. 

10 hours ago, Park Addict 93 said:

If it was as easy as pricing as you believe and that everyone would see the value why have they not done so? Gradual incremental price increases are the way to do it, not shock guests away from your product altogether into alternatives. 

They tried a tiered pass a while ago - VIP Gold. gold passholders got extra benefits, including early access. Then, slowly, they whittled away the benefits the gold passholders got, or gave those benefits back to the regular passholders, negating the whole purpose of the gold pass in the first place.

They've tried several things already, each time they face a social media backlash, and each time they relent. Remember when VIP had blockout dates? And then blocked passholders turned up on blocked dates and rained fury on them because they knowingly signed up for blockouts and then complained?

I think we are still where we are at today because they've tried, got scared, and backpedalled. They need someone to have the courage to take a big step. Covid is a perfect excuse to raise the bar and shrug 'but covid! *shrug*'

People will complain. But if they really want to be annual passholders they'll figure out a way. And if they don't, it might alleviate the pressure on the park capacity to a point where day pass holders can actually do the park in a day again (outside of off-peak times).

15 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Remember when VIP had blockout dates? And then blocked passholders turned up on blocked dates and rained fury on them because they knowingly signed up for blockouts and then complained?

They lifted the blackout dates on QLD VIP passes prior them ever taking effect...

D63E5F40-D2C2-4EBB-B867-E2AA69B2D02D.jpeg

Edited by Park Addict 93

On 11/06/2010 at 8:17 PM, Richard said:

I don't think attendance/spending patterns will have a lot to do with it other than recognising that they lost out bigtime to WVTP over the past year or so. To me it's about remaining competitive, and also recognising that in milking tourists for everything they can, they've been increasingly pricing themselves out of the local market. The end date of July 17 does seem to be a logical tie-in with any promotional activities they have planned for TOT. The idea of ending the passes on December 24 is great, and not a repeat of the downright stupid decision WVTP made last year to repeal the blockout dates during the peak period. As themeparkgc suggested, the significance of the image was simply the "staying put" pun.

On 13/06/2010 at 4:00 PM, Park Addict 93 said:

I saw the following "renewal" offer for the VIP pass today. newqldvip.jpg So it looks like the new VIP pass is $99 and comes with $10 WVTP giftcard or $299 for 4 people/passes. Valid through till the end of June 2011 and I didn't see any blackout dates, this poster/offer had a August 31st expiry.

The above thread ends in October 2009, so as to precisely when they canned the blackouts, I don't know, and your email doesn't necessarily confirm that. Either way - they had them, received backlash, and then reversed the decision, so my point still stands regardless of the timing.

11 minutes ago, AlexB said:

and your email doesn't necessarily confirm that. Either way - they had them, received backlash, and then reversed the decision, so my point still stands regardless of the timing.

It does... It is dated Dec 24, addressed to QLD VIP Holders and suggests people visit SW and MW as WNW will be at its busiest. Also advises a performance taking place during the period that was previously going to be blacked out. I don’t recall any huge backlash,they simply made the business decision to allow locals to visit during the busiest time of the year for whatever reason.

The initial QLD VIP pass (July 2009- 30 June 2010) is the only time I am aware of blackout dates being listed.

You're assuming it does. There is no formal statement that stipulates 'the previously contractually agreed blackout dates on your passes no longer apply', but this is semantics. The last info I had was from October (after they stopped selling the passes) and the dates still applied at that time. You are correct it appears it was removed prior to the first blockout - i'll stand corrected on that point.

However, regardless of the timing (by your suggestion, it was repealed 2 days before they came into effect), the point still stands that they HAD them, people AGREED to them, and then they REMOVED them. And there are only two reasons they'd do that; they faced a public backlash, or - Christmas holidays weren't as busy as they thought and they decided to bring in passholders to increase capacity. Now, since it appears they did that on the 24th of december, prior to the busy period (we all know its quieter in the couple weeks leading up to christmas), which one seems more likely?

I do remember reading the backlash on social media. Unfortunately, the MyFun page no longer exists, so finding that now is impossible, and the Parkz search engine isn't cooperating with me today. If I can find it, i'll be sure to share.

Just to add - the complaining started in August on Parkz. Don't tell me the wider public weren't also upset about terms and conditions that they clearly ignored:

On 21/08/2009 at 6:38 PM, whitsy said:

And if you look at the fine-print of your QLD VIP pass it says the card is invalid between 26 december and 17 of january. Find this largely unfair and bit of a rip-off, would not have a deal with it if they actually mentioned it in advertisements and at the ticket booth.

On 21/08/2009 at 6:59 PM, Gazza said:

It's not unfair at all. You're paying $99 for a whole year. If you wanted a year long pass with no blackout dates, then by all means, pay the extra $200 for a myfun mega pass, meanwhile everyone else can enjoy a great deal.

Fail: post-88-1250845163_thumb.jpg Besides, the terms and conditions are on the website: http://myfun.com.au/QLD-VIP-Pass.htm?WT.mc...motionsShowcase When I went to Universal Studios they had a deal where you would get a free annual pass with a one day admission. Granted, it too had blackout dates, but if its free I couldn't complain.

On 21/08/2009 at 8:55 PM, DonjaiInLA said:

To be fair they could have mentioned it in the advertisement that some dates are excluded, but none the less people should read the terms and conditions. I can see alot of people turning up on those dates with their families and having to pay again haha

On 23/08/2009 at 4:00 AM, AlexB said:

And if someone turns up at the gate with a VIP pass within the blackout period after having it clearly displayed on the ad, on the purchase site, and what would most certainly be on the ticket, then they deserve the disappointment, and the potential additional wallet outlay that it would cause. It is definitely going to happen, so I would suggest some conflict resolution training for front gate staff, who are inevitably going to cop flak and abuse from guests whose tickets won't be accepted by the turnstile.

On 23/08/2009 at 9:27 AM, ShadowXL said:

The block out date is on the printed card they receive, so they really have no excuse.

ok, i'm a little confused, so here's a timeline.

Q150 pass introduced - 6 months validity, expiring 30 June 2009

First VIP pass introduced 1 July 2009    which included the December-January blackout period.

Email screenshot posted above dated 24/12/2009 ie- the first year of the pass

Richard commenting on the prior year's abandonment of the blackout dates in June 2010

4 hours ago, Park Addict 93 said:

The initial QLD VIP pass (July 2009- 30 June 2010) is the only time I am aware of blackout dates being listed.

What am I missing here?

Since some of you guys don't understand here is the link to prove to you it is true about the new pass design  that they are bringing it back for nostalgic purposes https://www.instagram.com/p/CGzR5SRpu4H/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Edited by Coasterlife
someone reacted with confused before
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, themagician said:

Great to see DW have recognised that people loved the old DW and they are starting to reintroduce things like this. 

Now if they just painted non gaudy colours for the main street and cinema... #ohwait

If they just got their two steam trains runn.... #ohwait

If they could just put back all the slats on the thunder riv... #ohwait

Sorry. i think i need a coffee.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this was an appropriate thread. Last year I got Village and DW passes for Christmas, but I already had current passes, so didn't redeem the vouchers until last month for Village and yesterday for DW. The village pass worked as i expected it too, and be valid for 12m from when I first used it, as in 12 months from October. However in classic DW fassion, I discovered yesterday their passes are the opposite and are only valid from date of purchase for the voucher, so i only got the 7 months from covid otherwise would have expired in a months time. So dodgy in my opinion as so many people would be getting passes for xmas and DW ones are essentially a ticking clock, more peope should be warned not to purcahse passes for christmas for DW imo

That's a bit odd. I purchased 2 DW passes as part of the experience oz promo and don't have any intention of redeeming until next year sometime with the hope of overlapping the period of access into the new coaster opening.

The terms on that ticket are pretty explicit and state that I need to redeem my barcoded ticket before the expiry on it (oct 2021 for me) and that my 12 month pass will be valid form the date it is redeemed. 

Perhaps the different condition you encountered is valid for tickets purchased directly from the park or some other promo? Seems pretty unusual I would think not to have the period start from the first visit unless it was a pass set around a certain date ie. a 2020 season pass as opposed to a 12 month pass...