Woman falls 30m from ride in Cairns

Jdude95

Still a developing story but it's being reported that a woman has fallen from a ride, possibly a "hangover", in Cairns at Showfest. Mixed reports saying that the woman has died and that she is still fighting for her life. 
Local reporters who are on the scene are saying that the woman has been transported to hospital in a critical condition. I'm more inclined to believe their reports than the likes of Courier Mail and 9News

I'll update with any further details as they appear. 

https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2020/october/24/person-dies-after-falling-from-ride-at-cairns-showground

Courier Mail is now reporting that the woman is trapped
https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/a-woman-is-being-treated-for-critical-injuries-after-falling-from-a-ride-at-cairns-showfest/news-story/a109a5bfdf9e9ddf413b4519a5dca583 

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 6.18.14 pm.png

Edited by Jdude95

3 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

Still a developing story but it's being reported that a woman has fallen from a ride, possibly a "hangover", in Cairns at Showfest. Mixed reports saying that the woman has died and that she is still fighting for her life. 
Local reporters who are on the scene are saying that the woman has been transported to hospital in a critical condition. I'm more inclined to believe their reports than the likes of Courier Mail and 9News

I'll update with any further details as they appear. 

https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2020/october/24/person-dies-after-falling-from-ride-at-cairns-showground

Courier Mail is now reporting that the woman is trapped
https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/a-woman-is-being-treated-for-critical-injuries-after-falling-from-a-ride-at-cairns-showfest/news-story/a109a5bfdf9e9ddf413b4519a5dca583 

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 6.18.14 pm.png

So, so sad. I find it quite appalling that the show decided it would be a good idea to continue on and finish the night. Just out of respect alone they should've closed the doors. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jjuttp said:

Wonder how long they're going to milk this for?

To be fair, it probably should raise some eyebrows. Obviously the investigation has only just begun, but considering the semi-recent overhaul in the safety standards and procedures of amusement rides, this should be a major concern if it turns out the operators are at fault. 

In saying that, it was only back in 2013 or 2014 i believe, when the young girl at the Adelaide show was killed from the Air Max 360? That accident is very rarely mentioned anymore, and hasn't been for quite some time. 

18 minutes ago, Flynn_Smith said:

In saying that, it was only back in 2013 or 2014 i believe, when the young girl at the Adelaide show was killed from the Air Max 360? That accident is very rarely mentioned anymore, and hasn't been for quite some time. 

If it's not at one of the big theme parks, it doesn't count 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

30metres..... untrue. The ride isn’t even that tall

I mean, they also reported that she was both dead and alive. Sometimes she was trapped. 
I'm waiting for the full story to be that an old man jumped from the ride and kicked someone on the way down, since no company seems to be able to report consistently 

Hangover seems to be the one owned by Verfurth. Max height they could have fallen from without being thrown into the air first would be about 20m. 

Edited by Jdude95

ABC report 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-25/woman-critical-after-falling-from-carnival-ride-cairns/12811058

25 year old lady, fell from the top of the cycle, critical but stable. Ride OP reportedly said to a bystander "ride is on a timer, I can't stop it".

That last bit doesn't sound right as we all know though (E-Stop). 

e-stops on those things bring them straight home. If that's not quick enough, cut the whole thing. Ops seem to have responded appropriately. There have been reports from bystanders of wildly different things. From her being thrown and dying instantly to her clinging on as the ride was still running and even that the ride ops didn't/couldn't do anything. I'd wait for an actual investigation because this has just been a big mess of here say 

Another incident to further tarnish the already struggling amusement/themed entertainment industry in Australia. So sad....

Just over a year ago, at last year's RMS, there was an incident on the "Fury". It occurred 4 days into the show, and then was SBNO for the rest of the event.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/terror-of-a-ride-fury-shut-down-after-young-girl-injured-at-show-20190925-p52ut3.html

Edited by Luke

The woman is stable. There is also video available of immediately after she fell where the ride can still be seen running (and quoting someone else "with music still playing").

It appears it completes 1 full rotation before then slowing down. I don't know much about the ride but it does take a while for the arms on the the ride to stop.

27 minutes ago, AlexB said:

you've got to allow reaction time for that too. 

Bang> thud> what the...? > oh shit > slam Estop. 

Judging by what I saw there wasn't much of a delay for the operator.

Also the e-stop would bring it home, it would complete whatever rotation it is currently in and brake at home position. 

Having operated a similar ride before (A Kamikaze) Looking at the video the E-Stop was hit within 1 swing and the ride immediately started to slow down so in this case the operator has done the right thing. From a full swing height an e-stop would take approx 3 swings to slow down to an almost stop in the home position. The brakes would be applied much harder during an e-stop than a simple ride stop or cycle abort. Also I heard someone allegedly saying they heard a ride operator state that they couldn't stop the ride as it was on a timer. Total BS as the ride is ran manually. I am curious to see what happened whether it was a mechanical failure, rider error or what has caused it. Here's hoping everyone involved ends up okay though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jdude95 said:

9News are now reporting that the woman became trapped in the rides machinery too. I'm sure we'll get a full and consistent story eventually...

Clearly not the case as seen in the video, she’s just between the loading decks, nothing there to become trapped in just infront of the tower. 

more false news....

• Like 1