Arkham Asylum dismantling

It's too bad Village jumped the gun and worked with Kumbak, shortly before they realised their products were shit. What MW was looking to do was ahead of its time, if they waited a few more years they could have gotten the new Vekoma trains (with the vest restraints just like Sidewinder's restraints) which would have imo allowed AA to run for many more years to come.

I won't be shedding a tear though it was a leg basher especially in its last years and quite an uncomfortable ride. MW now have some decent real estate to put something new in, I'd love to see them work with RMC to build a raptor in that spot, or get a compact hybrid going on in the spot. 

Edited by Baconjack

2 hours ago, Baconjack said:

It's too bad Village jumped the gun and worked with Kumbak, shortly before they realised their products were shit. What MW was looking to do was ahead of its time, if they waited a few more years they could have gotten the new Vekoma trains (with the vest restraints just like Sidewinder's restraints) which would have imo allowed AA to run for many more years to come.

I won't be shedding a tear though it was a leg basher especially in its last years and quite an uncomfortable ride. MW now have some decent real estate to put something new in, I'd love to see them work with RMC to build a raptor in that spot, or get a compact hybrid going on in the spot. 

Big assumption being made that it has anything at all to do with the train though, nobody knows what the problem is. Maybe you aren't old enough to remember the original restraints?. Id take the kumbak ones over the original vekoma ones every day of the week. The legs really aren't that bad, its not like getting off with smashed up ears and headaches of the old restraints, plus they give you much more freedom when riding. 

I don't think a raptor would have the capacity village would be looking for even if the price was ok. Single rows, even with 3 trains. If the ride capacity per hour was something like 500-600 guests, village would at least halve, maybe even 1/3rd of that with their slow loads. So I can't see them putting in another coaster that would be lucky to achieve 200 people an hour. They would just look at it like its a waste of money. 

33 minutes ago, Brendo88 said:

AA is still referenced on the website and still listed as under maintenance. Are village ever going to actually confirm it’s going? 

I doubt it, not until they have news on their future plans and/or it's replacement to share. They don't seem to like delivering bad news without something positive to go with it. 

Edited by Levithian
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Baconjack said:

The Next Gen Vekoma trains turned up in 2008 at Moreys Piers on Great Nor Easter, Arkham was 2012, they could have done it if they wanted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flynn_Smith said:

There would be notable damage all over the structure, not just at the top - which is what has been removed. 

The facde of the building is attached to steal beams, so if the wind took out part of the facde, then for safety reasons they would have removed the whole section. Cant leave it to flap in the wind. That's what it looks like to me. I was at Dreamworld and the only part that was damaged was a shade sail that was taken down for the same reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pyro said:

The facde of the building is attached to steal beams, so if the wind took out part of the facde, then for safety reasons they would have removed the whole section. Cant leave it to flap in the wind. That's what it looks like to me. I was at Dreamworld and the only part that was damaged was a shade sail that was taken down for the same reason.

its completely plausible, but i find it very hard to believe that nobody noticed anything flapping in the wind in the 4 days between when the storm hit and when the crane was on site.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Levithian said:

I don't think a raptor would have the capacity village would be looking for even if the price was ok. Single rows, even with 3 trains. If the ride capacity per hour was something like 500-600 guests, village would at least halve, maybe even 1/3rd of that with their slow loads. So I can't see them putting in another coaster that would be lucky to achieve 200 people an hour. They would just look at it like its a waste of money. 

Superman with 1 train operations is lucky to dispatch 6 times every 30 mins, so fully loaded that's 240 a hour... totally within Village's capacity! If you have operators really on the ball and guests that actually listen you can maybe do 7 every half hour (very hard with 1 train and the crazy procedures village have)

9 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

*wishes for a B&M Dive Coaster*

will never happen. 

Yeah see I think that these are a little underwhelming and a one trick pony for mine. Dont get me wrong , they are B&M's and that means quality and it would be a quantum leap over anything we currently have but I think there are far better models in the B & M lineup which i would rather see installed. I rode Shreikra at Busch Gardens Tampa and whilst i enjoyed the ride, for mine, it paled in comparison to Kumba and even Cheetah Hunt. Still, if one was announced, I would take it!! It would make more sense installing one at Dreamworld IMHO.

19 hours ago, Levithian said:

Big assumption being made that it has anything at all to do with the train though, nobody knows what the problem is. Maybe you aren't old enough to remember the original restraints?. Id take the kumbak ones over the original vekoma ones every day of the week. The legs really aren't that bad, its not like getting off with smashed up ears and headaches of the old restraints, plus they give you much more freedom when riding. 

I rode AA as Lethal Weapon I didn't like either restraint. It was either ear bashing on the original, or hip/leg bashing on the new (it was fine when new, but by the end, it was horribly rough). Bear in mind i'm 6'5" so it might have been a different experience for taller people. 

Considering that the similar kumbak trains which were installed on Sea Viper reportedly put heaps of stress on the track & structure (which was a major factor in the decision to retire the ride), I wouldn't be surprised to learn of something similar with AA. Other Kumbak installations on SLC's have also been problem childs so far so it mostly adds up to a shitty product made by a shitty manufacturer. 

I'm sure a raptor is sufficient for MW's capacity needs. In the grand scheme of things MW is a smaller park in terms of attendance (smaller than that of the American regional parks which these coasters currently sit in without any crowd problems). Even in summer season, you have Green Lantern in the lineup and based on its loads would imo come close to raptor capacity (as did AA with its single train, and Superman last summer) This is a bad take imo, MW usually runs around 200 guest per hour on all of their major attractions (bar WWF, DCR in summer peak and probably SDSC). I've been saying an Australian park should get one of these for years. If not MW, DW should, or Aussie World, Adventure World, LPS, so on and so on. It's an honest no brainer to me.

I'd love to see a dive coaster in our parks, I think it would be a good supporting attraction to DCR and its a guest magnet but we don't have the money for B&M. I dont believe we will see Village spending that much on a single attraction on anywhere near the scale of DCR for some time yet. Its why I don't see the site being replaced by another invert or a flying coaster.

Edited by Baconjack

20 hours ago, Levithian said:

I dont understand this thought process? So 8 person  trains on GL are ok but 8 person trains on a Raptor are not enough capaciity?

2 hours ago, Gazza said:

I dont understand this thought process? So 8 person  trains on GL are ok but 8 person trains on a Raptor are not enough capaciity?

I'm pretty sure a Raptor can only run 1 train, and I am not 100% sure on how many trains run on Green Lantern at a single point in time. But I am 100% sure it is more than 1.

9 minutes ago, Prequel said:

I'm pretty sure a Raptor can only run 1 train, and I am not 100% sure on how many trains run on Green Lantern at a single point in time. But I am 100% sure it is more than 1.

Number of trains out on the track is irrelevant, its dispatch interval that matters. 

FWIW they have up to 3 trains on raptors, or if you get the big version seen at SF Great Adventure its four 12 person trains.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, coasterdude44 said:

it has to be a B&M

It really doesn't.

Rivals took the Australian market to a new level. And its a Mack.

MW dropped $30+ Million on that. And it's still commanding big queues. The Rivals wave hasn't ended yet. Even with the loss of Arkham, they don't need a billboard coaster just yet.

We're still Toyota country. Solid, reliable, reasonably affordable. We don't have the lifestyle for a Rolls Royce. Need to see a few more jumps in AP prices before we can start thinking about that.

Unfortunately the shopping list for Australian Parks usually doesn't include the criteria "must please enthusiasts". They're usually shooting for a broader market - one who doesn't know the difference between manufacturers, or... care.

• Like 2