Arkham Asylum dismantling

If a ride is good enough it doesn't even need a popular theme to be relevant to the general public. I realise Movie World is in the position where it kind of HAS to theme it to a movie property but pretty sure Green Lantern movie or otherwise is on anyone's mind and yet it still remains a popular ride (when its not closed for maintenance).

4 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

That gives them a single ride theme at best.

So similar to Wild West Falls and Lethal Weapon. 

4 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

After 10 years Mad Max could be just another cult hit from the past. 

10+ years great time for a rebrand (scooby doo, cyclone/hot wheels/Gold coaster etc.) as long as they don't brand it as world class or completely new experience. Lols I'm still let down from riding scooby. 

48 minutes ago, Cactus_Matt said:

If a ride is good enough it doesn't even need a popular theme to be relevant to the general public.

Spot on. Wild West Falls is great example. Mad Max would work well if themed properly. 

Edited by TomiJ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, westical said:

Would the hypercoaster’s popularity be any different if it had been themed to Mad Max rather than DC?

If we’re talking a hypercoaster like rivals, it realistically doesn’t need a theme. As it is it barely has a theme. 

19 minutes ago, TomiJ said:

So similar to Wild West Falls and Lethal Weapon. 

10+ years great time for a rebrand (scooby doo, cyclone/hot wheels/Gold coaster etc.) as long as they don't brand it as world class or completely new experience. Lols I'm still let down from riding scooby. 

Spot on. Wild West Falls is great example. Mad Max would work well if themed properly. 

wild west falls, oh, that ride that was themed to a movie once but then reverted back to its generic “western theme”?

lethal weapon lasted a long time... until DC hit the park and they realised there was more appeal by calling it Arkham asylum because no one cared about lethal weapon anymore. 

again with there isn’t much in the village IP bag that they can pull out which is why everything is just DC. I’m not saying they can’t use Mad Max, hell I’ve been campaigning for that since fury road came out. I’m saying besides this one franchise that may hold its own, what else can they use that will last? 

The movie IP doesn't always need to stand up in however many years time, as long as the ride and theme is strong. 

I still don't think PA dated, sure the movie was old and forgotten by many, but the show was strong and had those movie/theme/story elements that made it a fantastic show. Anyone coming through the gates today to see PA would see it for a great show... Not the fact its name is tied to an old movie, its just a show about bumbling Police cadets. Plus Rodney was brilliant as the warm up act. 

Wild West is the same, that isn't even tied to the movie, it was just great timing, so the name of the ride was changed to be the same as the movie, but eventually ditched it. It still stands because there have been so many old western movies. The ride really has nothing to do with movies, just takes you to a western world. 

Mad Max would work because the theme is a apocalyptic world and look how many movies run with that theme. It also makes theming easier because you can leave things a bit bearer, strip it back, and it works. What works even better when you go out of your way to age things as well, such as painting the track and supports to age them. 

Another theme that works is using the "stunt car" theme, a coaster works, but for me I'd love to see a simulator ride, which I remember many years ago @Gazza came up with the idea for such a ride sitting where the dodgems are now. Hell, remember this was the loose theme LW ran with when it first opened up and the movie that was shown in the cinema was going on a car chase to see what it feels like in the movies before they abandoned it and you just walked through the cinema. 

Flight is another great theme, it would be great if they could strike a deal for a Top Gun IP. 

You don't always need to rely on the IP, it sure as shit helps because the public already know it, but if it can tie to the movies in some way and last on that theme long after that IP is gone, then job done. 

Edited by Original

Again, not pulling on any of their IP's, just suiting a more generic theme. Which is perfectly fine if done right but still means they have no strong, relevant IP to pull from if it's not DC related. Which is why we have primarily DC themes or generic themes.

1 hour ago, Original said:

Flight is another great theme, it would be great if they could strike a deal for a Top Gun IP. 

There is another Top Gun movie in the works too... 

Exactly, you need an IP that can be generic, or you have to ask other movie companies for licenses and again they can become dated too, hence keeping the ride strong enough that once the IP fades the GP just see it as a great ride e.g. that Police Academy was. 

Yep, that’s why I suggested it, the movie has always been a fan favourite, even today and now we have a new one coming and Paramount aren’t really in the park game these days so there’s money to be made from the theme parks licensing. 

Warner Bros. did the second Willy Wonka and that’s a fan favourite that has lasted, but also has a great story that doesn’t necessarily need the movie to lean on. But while Warner did the movie doesn’t necessarily mean they have the park rights. E.g. Harry Potter, the movie is there’s, but now Universal does the parks. 

Plus Village Parks aren’t tied to Warner anymore, so they don’t need it to be their movie. Just pay a licensing fee for the IP you want, then opportunities then can become endless. 

On 02/01/2021 at 7:31 AM, westical said:

Would the hypercoaster’s popularity be any different if it had been themed to Mad Max rather than DC?

I think it would have been more popular in terms of visitation, just makes the ride sound that little bit more hardcore for potential visitors. Perfect nexus of a movie theme and appealing to visitors who love something "Aussie".

Whatever they choose to replace AA with, in my opinion, needs to be big. Arkham was tucked away in a small corner of the park hence almost being forgotten about by the GP. It should either be something which towers over superman, or a good theme which forces people to not forget about. It’s a shame that the budget probably isn’t going to allow for this however.

45 minutes ago, themagician said:

@AlexB I haven’t got access to Nearmap anymore, would you mind doing an area calculation for the entire AA footprint please. Including Courtyard, coaster, queue building.

They are also commenting on posts confirming to those who ask

726ABC7E-AC6A-4C7C-88EF-AE9C502675BD.jpeg

What even is google maps:

image.thumb.png.1df7f51dfa3068abb6a6dcea75ab3605.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Zac Beckwith said:

Whatever they choose to replace AA with, in my opinion, needs to be big. Arkham was tucked away in a small corner of the park hence almost being forgotten about by the GP.

I won’t disagree about feeling tucked away, not to mention dead end, but as Spotty did point out who worked on the ride, the GP still flocked to it as one of the parks busiest rides. 

It would be nice with the new ride to begin to open this part of the park up, creating a loop and connecting it with DC arrivals, Doomsday and West. But from a business standpoint doesn’t make sense because then the public miss going past all the stores. It only works if you’re creating a new land out the back and opening park land with new food and merch stores there. 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2021 at 10:19 AM, themagician said:

@AlexB I haven’t got access to Nearmap anymore, would you mind doing an area calculation for the entire AA footprint please. Including Courtyard, coaster, queue building.

On 04/01/2021 at 11:06 AM, Gazza said:

What even is google maps:

image.thumb.png.1df7f51dfa3068abb6a6dcea75ab3605.png

I got a bit more liberal with my outline, but either way, there's still a fair bit of space that can be utilised.

image.thumb.png.cba677bdd21b1a27da17e0e0e5ca0e5c.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I got a bit more liberal with my outline, but either way, there's still a fair bit of space that can be utilised.

I actually think with some negotiation with the Studio, there could be even more space if required. Even if just for the quieter elements like Sub station, maintenance shed or even the station (can be easily sound blocked), or possibly a 'tunnel' built into the ride.

• 2 weeks later...

As Superman Escape is closed for a month, could this be related to the demolition of AA?

BD58798A-B004-4A1B-8CA2-291DDB43C9FE.thumb.jpeg.1107f7846c78182c6dc843baeb923d12.jpeg

Usually SE is closed during the winter, but this year it has been brought forward. If MW are set to announce a replacement attraction this year, so we see work starting soon to prepare the site?

The coaster didn’t operate for over a year and during that time I’m sure they explored plenty of ideas. I’ve been told that there are couples of ride options and themes they are looking into. But the decision will be effected by licensing and costing. 

• Like 1

I doubt we’ll see any substantial spend at MW this year, that includes removal of AA. The focus is all on Leviathan, are revenue wise they are still a long way from normal expectations. 

whilst we may get an announcement of the AA replacement towards the end of the year, I wouldn’t expect we’ll be riding whatever it is until late 2022

From my very quick google search, price of scrap metal has increased quite a lot due to COVID so I wonder if they will rush the demo to get a good price on it (and more or less may for the demo its self).

Edit:

Further thoughts, I wonder if COVID has reduced the cost of the demo crew also since they may be doing less work?

Anyone in this area of work able to confirm?

Edited by Naazon

16 hours ago, Naazon said:

From my very quick google search, price of scrap metal has increased quite a lot due to COVID so I wonder if they will rush the demo to get a good price on it (and more or less may for the demo its self).

Edit:

Further thoughts, I wonder if COVID has reduced the cost of the demo crew also since they may be doing less work?

Anyone in this area of work able to confirm?

They could always choose to sell the coaster to another park and have it relocated, I would have thought they's make more money that way than to scrap it?

34 minutes ago, ATI said:

They could always choose to sell the coaster to another park and have it relocated, I would have thought they's make more money that way than to scrap it?

It's about 5 years past it's used by date, and from what i seem to gather the maintenance and upkeep required have rendered it financially impracticable. Was nothing special to begin with, bar theming, and there wouldn't be that many parks around interested in a vekoma SLC let alone a 25 year old dead one.

2 hours ago, Aw hype said:

It's about 5 years past it's used by date, and from what i seem to gather the maintenance and upkeep required have rendered it financially impracticable. Was nothing special to begin with, bar theming, and there wouldn't be that many parks around interested in a vekoma SLC let alone a 25 year old dead one.

Ahem...

https://rcdb.com/18891.htm

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ATI said:

I mean its a possibility but the ride is 25 years old, sitting outdoors in the extreme heat, wet and at least 3 cyclones or ex cyclones have passed through the area too. Thats a whole lot of metal fatigue. Add onto that the possibilities of the new trains causing stress fractures as some people have raised (not sure if this was confirmed or debunked?). Now we're also mid pandemic, although Australia have it pretty good most countries are not going so well, so their spending is down.

So you're likely looking for a small or new, privately owned theme park who wants to buy a 25 year old, weathered and possibly damaged rollercoaster that only has 1 fully functioning train, and then likely ship it half way around the world.

If thats the case the GM of this theme part must LOVE the extended SLC as I'm sure there would be much better, cheaper, longer life options available from the multitude of parks based in the US, or other parks around the world, some of which may be closing up from lack of revenue during the pandemic, rather than just selling off old rides.

Happy for the more knowledgeable people to come through and correct me.

Edited by Naazon

7 hours ago, Aw hype said:

Sea World determined their pirate ship was financially impractical to maintain, and yet it found new life in Victoria I believe.

Vekoma SLCs are regarded similarly to Boomerangs. The Expo 88 Titan (Constructed in 1987) found new life at Wonderland as The Demon ('92-'04), Alabama Adventure as Zoomerang ('05-'11) and currently resides at Wonderla Park in Hyderabad as Recoil since 2016. That's 33 years old, and it's most recent relocation was at age 29. And in this particular case, the track isn't 'bolt together' pieces - but physically welded together on-site. I think that is the case with Arkham also - so it can be done.

The problems with Arkham, as I understand them, involve a very costly and expensive control systems overhaul. Coupled with the new ride safety requirements for teardown maintenance, etc etc, it wasn't financially worth it for MW to continue to operate - however, in another jurisdiction where the requirements aren't so 'Australian', the control systems might be a really cheap cost to acquire - essentially - a brand new ride for some lucky small regional park.

Just as Dreamworld relocated Cyclone from Luna Park for next to nothing, there are many parks over the world that might consider purchasing Arkham. It's not outside the realm of possible for it to happen.

As @ATIpoints out, people are still building these things.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ATI said:

Ratanga Junction in Cape Town was a seasonal park similar to Adventure world, and the SLC in said park was only in operation for 20 years. Arkham was 25 years old, operated for at least 300 days in each of those 25 years, the first 12 of which would've been as the parks major thrill ride (so i'm assuming with extremely high patronage during that period). Arkham was the the 4th SLC built and Cobra was the 21st (https://rcdb.com/r.htm?order=-8&ot=2&ml=8106) so I'd assume there would've been some technological and/or structural optimisation within that time to the SLC model that would contribute to its longevity and viability. I get what you're saying, but this particular ride is just dead, and as @AlexBindicated, the cost to fix up and get the ride into operable condition would not be worth the experience an SLC actually provides.

• Like 1