Arkham Asylum dismantling

8 hours ago, Aw hype said:

as @AlexBindicated, the cost to fix up and get the ride into operable condition would not be worth the experience an SLC actually provides.

You are correct that the costs for Movie World to do so may be prohibitive, but as I said, for a small, regional park without the same maintenance requirements, this is a blockbuster essentially for the cost of the new systems, plus a few mil to acquire and a few mil to construct - far cheaper than building something this size brand new. Arkham is essentially greenfields capable - all the supports are on relatively flat, level ground, with the dugout for the dive next to the station. Anyone with the space would be able to acquire this cheaply. If the structure is sound, everything else is minimal to gain such a mammoth coaster.

• Like 1

I wouldn't rule anything out.

It might have not been worth it for MW to overhaul, not for any technical reason, but simply because it's been around in the park for ages with declining popularity.

But in a brand new location, the cost of a new train and new systems probably would be worthwhile since it's a brand new attraction.

Could well turn up in Asia or India like many other older Vekoma rides.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ATI said:

Is it not weird that the park having made an official public announcement regarding the closure? Surely they'd want to put it out there to start up the hype in mainstream for any new ride they will be getting.

Probably not worth hyping it too much with covid ongoing and interstate travel still on shaky ground.

25 minutes ago, joz said:

Controversial thought: this current trend of announcing rides 18+ months out can piss off.

Agreed. Back when Rivals was overdue to be announced (that was sub-3 months prior to opening, yikes) I did some research on what the general trend was for announcing a ride of similar size:

1. Valravn - 8 months
  2. Mako - 14 months
  3. Karnan - 18 months
  4. Cannibal - 10 months
  5. Fury 325 - 7 months
  6. Skyrush - 9 months
  7. Shambhala - 7 months
  8. Leviathan - 10 months
  9. Wild Eagle - 7 months
  10. Intimidator 305 - 8 months
  11. Intimidator - 7 months
  12. Diamondback - 8 month

Putting all that together, that means most coasters are announced officially 9.4 months (mean average) or 8 months (median) prior to opening. When you compare that to construction timelines it's easy enough then to apply this rule for announcements - unless you've got shit in the ground it's not worth mentioning. Conversely, if you don't have anyone covering construction, like enthusiasts in-house content creators or PR, you're throwing away millions of dollars in potential free marketing.

Food for thought.

Edited by Slick

9 hours ago, Slick said:

Putting all that together, that means most coasters are announced officially 9.4 months

But even then most of those parks are closed for the majority of that. If you're seasonal you announce before haunt to drive pass renewals for next year, like there's a purpose to it. These days the trend is to announce stuff long before the passes are even on sale, so you get no sales boost, and carry no momentum. By the time it's built it's already yesterday's news.

In Australia, I think the sweet spot is about 6 months prior to opening for something big; you can tie pass sales to it, and get people who don't buy passes starting to plan a visit. For something like Vortex or any DW flatride from the past 2 decades, a month is plenty.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I contacted MW a little while ago, and got a call back from guest services saying they can't disclose what was going to happen to AA, but that there was an addition to the area on it's way that would be announced later this year. I doubt it will be anything above 20m, as VRTP just invested 50m into SW new expansion and DC Rivals was 30m when added in 2017. I think a B&M is never gonna happen, but maybe in future years it might.

Edited by fletch

Let's all remember that guest services are generally the last folks to know what's going on. Capex speculation is also just that, speculation, and it'd be crazy to use the four most turbulent years in industry history as a benchmark for spending. BGH Capital have openly stated their focus is investing in the parks so it wouldn't surprise me to see a major cash injection at all parks in the coming few years.

15 minutes ago, Slick said:

Let's all remember that guest services are generally the last folks to know what's going on. Capex speculation is also just that, speculation, and it'd be crazy to use the four most turbulent years in industry history as a benchmark for spending. BGH Capital have openly stated their focus is investing in the parks so it wouldn't surprise me to see a major cash injection at all parks in the coming few years.

yeah the second they said "Guest services" on the phone call I knew I wouldn't get a proper answer. Oh well.

• Like 2