Arkham Asylum dismantling

The whole thing looks very 'low to ground' for most of the layout - i just thought having it over water would be a cool little plus.

Neither of the GC theme parks have shown any interest so far in furthering explorations into flume rides, and in today's climate, the safety risks associated with such devices and the lack of restraints puts it too high on the risk matrix for anything meaningful to occur. I'd love to see both parks bring back their log flumes, I just don't think its practical right now.

26 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The whole thing looks very 'low to ground' for most of the layout - i just thought having it over water would be a cool little plus.

Neither of the GC theme parks have shown any interest so far in furthering explorations into flume rides, and in today's climate, the safety risks associated with such devices and the lack of restraints puts it too high on the risk matrix for anything meaningful to occur. I'd love to see both parks bring back their log flumes, I just don't think its practical right now.

Agreed - I think having a chunk hang out over the water would be awesome.

As for log flumes, both Rocky Hollow & Vikings were made in-house and had their own sets of unique problems, and I'd say it's fair to assume both parks didn't want to take on that responsibility. On the other hand, Aussie World's log flume is going strong (which is made by I think Reverchon or Fabbri, not sure, but a reputable enough OEM none the less.) For the million or so it'd take for Intamin to refurbish either one is a steal and is something that should've been looked into years ago, but maybe that's just me spiralling this off-topic now. 😅

51 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

A few years ago I visited California's Great America and rode Flight Deck (Which has to be the shortest B&M Invert out there) which has a low swooping helix out over water and it was pretty cool as there was a corkscrew then small dive into the helix over water. POV below.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, OgreMagic said:

Visted the AA area today and spotted a familiar face! Looks like he's still on some of the tower facade.

DSC01517.thumb.JPG.d7778e702e724c2a024a05fbb5b367bb.JPG

Its been sitting there since the tower was taken off. When the AA area was closed off you could see it by turning around on DC Rivals lifthill and looking underneath AA's lifthill.

1 hour ago, themagician said:

Since they have removed the top of the Batwing during its current maintenance, could there be a possibility so a mounting point is being added to the tower of the tower for Batman to be fixed too?

Would that make sense? Isn't Batwing supposed to be a vehicle launching to space?
If you put batman on top wouldn't that just be launching his rocket into him?

That's if I got the theme right...

16 hours ago, fletch said:

Its been sitting there since the tower was taken off. When the AA area was closed off you could see it by turning around on DC Rivals lifthill and looking underneath AA's lifthill.

Interesting! I'll have to try that. I'm surprised you could see it from that height.

13 hours ago, Naazon said:

Would that make sense? Isn't Batwing supposed to be a vehicle launching to space?
If you put batman on top wouldn't that just be launching his rocket into him?

That's if I got the theme right...

I don't think theming consistency would stop them from putting him there

Edited by OgreMagic

Just wondering, for the whole time the AA area was closed off, MW decided to not remove any of the theming? Like not even the barrels or the cars in the area have been removed. I would of thought they would be gone by now considering how long the areas been closed off? Unless they plan to keep the same theme for the new attraction... but this is all just speculation.

You don't remove theming elements from a themed area just because you've decided to close the ride. You remove the ride name signs and thrill guides and such, because the ride isn't "there" but all the themed elements can stand on their own as themed elements. Why spend money to remove them? why task employees to the work when there is other work to do?

Why didn't Dreamworld demolish the tower of terror station \ tunnel \ tower-track? Because you don't, unless you need to (or unless you already have a crane on site for other purposes and you can make the most of its down-time).

If the area can still be accessed and used by guests, maintaining the theme is, for now, desirable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 06/11/2020 at 10:21 AM, Gazza said:

I dont understand this thought process? So 8 person  trains on GL are ok but 8 person trains on a Raptor are not enough capaciity?

On 06/11/2020 at 10:21 AM, Gazza said:

I dont understand this thought process? So 8 person  trains on GL are ok but 8 person trains on a Raptor are not enough capaciity?

The difference is green lantern has multiple block sections and the ability to load to trains at once, giving it a better throughput of riders

Edited by Billy
Didn't know how to add text

11 hours ago, Billy said:

The difference is green lantern has multiple block sections and the ability to load to trains at once, giving it a better throughput of riders

They may have more blocks but it's irrelevant when it takes the ops 10 minutes to cycle a train and everyone is just banked on the brake run. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Forgive me for being unaware, but what is a block section?

On rollercoasters a block zone is a section of ride that only one train may occupy at a time. At the end of a block zone there is a method to stop the train, in case the block zone ahead is still occupied. This is the safety system that prevents rollercoaster trains from colliding with one another.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gazza said:

And so can a raptor:

image.thumb.png.ef17fceac01ed1bc5bc96639a8b7896c.png

One brake run doesn't necessarily mean one block zone. Some modern coasters are able to use the lift hill as a block zone (the lift chain adjusts it's speed depending on whether or not the block zone ahead is occupied, so that it does not send a car into that zone when occupied). They can also stack multiple trains on the final brake run, that being a block zone in itself, along with the load/unload (some rides have seperate 'load' and 'unload' platforms which are their own individual blocks) station being a block. The problem with raptors vs el locos is that whilst the trains are similar capacity, by nature of raptor trains being a lot longer, the ability to stack and effectively run multiple block zones in close proximity is inhibited, baring in mind no two trains can occupy the singular block zone at a given time.