Luna Park Sydney to invest $30 million on major upgrade, new rides

Parkz News

Early reports in the media are showing that LPS is closing at the end of January 2021 and will be refurbished with new rides and - a new Big Dipper!

Luna Park's iconic grinning facade has loomed large over Sydney Harbour for 85 years and it's about to get a $30 million facelift.

A plan to transform the fun park next year into a world-class amusement park and tourist destination fit for the 21st century was unveiled on Tuesday.

The upgrade will include nine new rides, with six new children's rides, a thrill ride, a family roller coaster as well as The Big Dipper - which will be the first inline seating launch rollercoaster in the world.

This state-of-the-art "one-seat wide" train is smaller than the previous Big Dipper at Luna Park, to limit the impact on neighbours.

Tourism Minister Stuart Ayres said every ride and attraction would comply with regulations relating to noise, height, lights, and hours of operation that had been in place since 2004.

The investment will create more than 2500 direct and indirect jobs during construction, boost tourism, and help in the economic recovery of NSW post-COVID-19, he said.

"This investment will attract more people to Sydney and ensure that Luna Park continues providing joy and excitement to millions of families and children for the next 85 years and beyond," he said on Tuesday.

"It is yet another sign of confidence in NSW and our economic future - and a sign of confidence that Sydney is back in business."

Luna Park managing director Peter Hearne said the upgrade would respect the heritage and history of the much-loved Sydney destination.

"We are just going to make it even better than it is now, while still preserving its wonderful heritage," he said.

The park will close for renovations on January 27 and re-open in mid-June.

More details to follow I guess:

Here is the link:

https://7news.com.au/entertainment/sydneys-luna-park-getting-30m-facelift-c-1640479

Yep.

Big Dipper is going to be one heck of a little coaster, it should easily be the best roller coaster in the country outside the Gold Coast, even then, better than most of what’s on offer up there, probably only behind Leviathan and DCR in terms of thrill. A truly elite offering out of nowhere I’d never have expected from management. 

Combined with heaps of new flats. Gyro swings are not everyone’s cup of tea but I don’t mind them. Kids area offers a lot for the family compared to how it used to be. Vekoma Family Boomerang is a great touch also. This is really indeed an excellent set of changes that has taken nearly 10 years to get through. These rides combined with Volare, Hair Raiser, Tango Train, Rotor, Wild Mouse being kept should be an awesome use of the plot.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Love it! 1

19 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

Yep.

Big Dipper is going to be one heck of a little coaster, it should easily be the best roller coaster in the country outside the Gold Coast, even then, better than most of what’s on offer up there, probably only behind Leviathan and DCR in terms of thrill. A truly elite offering out of nowhere I’d never have expected from management. 

Combined with heaps of new flats. Gyro swings are not everyone’s cup of tea but I don’t mind them. Kids area offers a lot for the family compared to how it used to be. Vekoma Family Boomerang is a great touch also. This is really indeed an excellent set of changes that has taken nearly 10 years to get through. These rides combined with Volare, Hair Raiser, Tango Train, Rotor, Wild Mouse being kept should be an awesome use of the plot.

My dad's mate works there so 'maybe fingers crossed' I can get more info on it that's also why I made the forum about tumble bug and moon ranger possibly going and it turned out to be true

Edited by Coasterlife

I cannot believe this. LPS really is the little park that could. Finally, we get the same attention and treatment at the parks up north. This is going to be great. The expanded lineup is welcomed after years of having the same stuff pretty much.

As a Sydney sider, I hold a special spot for LPS. 

Well done to the management team for securing these deals and making this all become a reality.

• Like 1

Holy crap, good work LPS, very happy to see this!

Overall a good layout, particularly towards the end, i would have liked to have seen them spice up the bit between the first and 2nd launch, eg slightly more aggressive hills, and a wavy launch track as seen on Pantheon. 

The 2nd largest  coaster appears to be a Gerstlauer family shuttle coaster,  and there also appears to be a clone of Klein Tsar / Veggie Tales Sideshow Spin:

Good choices all around!

image.thumb.png.85d85e1f76dae08827580de09100beb7.png

Edited by Gazza
  • Thanks 4