Luna Park Sydney to invest $30 million on major upgrade, new rides

Parkz News

3 minutes ago, StingRay said:

The Wildmouse has low capacity also with only three cars on track (max) at once. I know you are more into the thrilling flat rides of Europe slammed into a car park 😉. They have pulled off a miracle.

Given how small the park makes this more impressive.

Look at the artwork. Tell we where Spider is. I can tell you it's partially dismantled right now. 

Gotta make room for those new toys.

I know that it would go for this new expansion. But I didn't know it's gonna close tomorrow! When I was there just 2 weeks ago. I went on it and everything was fine!

1 minute ago, HussRainbow87 said:

I wouldn’t say impressive really. The only thing I’m kinda interested in is that pendulum thing that actually goes 360 which people seemed to have missed. There is a counterweight arm in the renders. 

And as for the European comment, they put far more effort into their attractions than anywhere in the world, best atmosphere that no park or fair elsewhere could match. 

You'd be surprised many noticed the swinging 360-degree gyro first. Just they didn't mention it much here.

I brought up Europe cause you mentioned it first.

1 minute ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

I know that it would go for this new expansion. But I didn't know it's gonna close tomorrow! When I was there just 2 weeks ago. I went on it and everything was fine!

So easy to tear down a flat ride. Shame it is going. Was also unique that breakdance because it had the modifications to allow children over 110cm to ride. Floor step added to each car and then eventually the "bucket" seats got added.

I'm actually going to make a trip for this coaster, which will mark the first time I've been ever been compelled to travel anywhere in Australia for a ride since Wonderland closed. I've been to Luna Park once before when I was in Sydney for other stuff, but haven't really felt a desire to go back even on subsequent trips to Sydney when I've been bored and looking for stuff to do.

Huss may well make the best fairground rides, but fairground rides don't get me to go to places, so yeah good move IMHO.

• Like 2

You'd be surprised many noticed the swinging 360-degree gyro first. Just they didn't mention it much here.

So easy to tear down a flat ride. Shame it is going. Was also unique that breakdance because it had the modifications to allow children over 110cm to ride. Floor step added to each car and then eventually the "bucket" seats got added.

It was also run terribly and probably the worlds worst example of a HUSS Break Dance. 

And I was gonna go and get a GoPro and film inside the ride as well!

1 minute ago, HussRainbow87 said:

No, I would say the ride specifically.... you don’t need to take it soo personally. Facts are facts. It wasn’t looked after and it wasn’t run very well. 

It was run alright. Only so much a ride operator can do when it runs in automatic mode. You'd know this more than everyone else. I find it odd you say this ride was in terrible shape. Yet you don't mention the Ranger. Cause that was in a very bad way.

It was run alright. Only so much a ride operator can do when it runs in automatic mode. You'd know this more than everyone else. I find it odd you say this ride was in terrible shape. Yet you don't mention the Ranger. Cause that was in a very bad way.

Didn’t really need to be mentioned as it was common knowledge. There was more to it than just operation of the ride.

also why would I know this more?

Edited by HussRainbow87

2 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

Didn’t really need to be mentioned as it was common knowledge. There was more to it than just operation of the ride.

It's not very common knowledge for the other 99.99% of the population who are not theme park enthusiasts. 

Edited by AheadMatthewawsome

2 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

I wouldn’t say impressive really. The only thing I’m kinda interested in is that pendulum thing that actually goes 360 which people seemed to have missed.

And look, you're entitled to your opinion on it. We know the fondness you have for Huss and travellers in general, but if you can't see how amazing this is, what is really the biggest single expansion outside of a second gate \ greenfields park in Australia, then I don't really know what else to say to you.

Like others have said, while i've been, there's nothing there at present that would make me keen to revisit on subsequent visits. This new expansion certainly will do that for me too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

I wouldn’t say impressive really. The only thing I’m kinda interested in is that pendulum thing that actually goes 360 which people seemed to have missed. There is a counterweight arm in the renders. 

And as for the European comment, they put far more effort into their attractions than anywhere in the world, best atmosphere that no park or fair elsewhere could match. 

@HussRainbow87 Actually I did notice that yesterday.

I get you're a Huss fan, but to be honest its coming across like Pushbutton when he was "It's not a monorail or a dark ride therefore ill turn my nose up"

As @joz said, the Intamin launch coaster would be worth a trip alone, I don't think the capacity will be a problem. GL and Abyss run with 8 person trains at short intervals so therefore a 7 seater at a park that is less peaky like LPS should be fine.

Objectivley, for a constrained park they've picked a good balanced selection of rides that will be popular with the public. Signature big impressive flat ride, good launch coaster, good family shuttle and a decent kiddyland. The park has had an over reliance on spin and spew rides until now.

I think the only thing missing is some sort of water ride, but that could come in the future.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1

Let’s just hope all the rich kids who bought a fancy apartment overlooking a theme park don’t get their way again. The last Big Dipper was severely limited in opening hours, there’s already residents on the news stories complaining that they weren’t consulted about the new rides. A kind of loop hole allows for replacements,  modifications and upgrades of existing rides. 
I for one can’t understand living in a place overlooking a theme park only to complain about the noise.

6 minutes ago, colonelbmx said:

Let’s just hope all the rich kids who bought a fancy apartment overlooking a theme park don’t get their way again. The last Big Dipper was severely limited in opening hours, there’s already residents on the news stories complaining that they weren’t consulted about the new rides. A kind of loop hole allows for replacements,  modifications and upgrades of existing rides. 
I for one can’t understand living in a place overlooking a theme park only to complain about the noise.

The residents claim that they built \ bought a property that was constructed when the park was closed, and therefore they could not have foreseen that a decades old park would never reopen. They had several battles that resulted in the restrictions to the dipper, however, since that time, those sorts of decisions have been reversed.

The relevant state ministers themselves have come out supporting this proposal, and have stated it is in accord with the relevant legislation that was enacted specifically to protect Luna Park's operations.

In a nutshell, the legislation and case law to date basically says the park can do anything within the bounds of certain requirements provided they follow the right processes. The residents don't get to object to each development as it happens, if it fits within the specific criteria.

it has been stated, by the relevant minister that everything in this plan fits within that criteria. Therefore, the residents can cry in front of the media all they like - they live above an amusement park and they have to live with that choice, or they can move.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, colonelbmx said:

https://justforfun.lunaparksydney.com/9newrides/

Go down to the FAQ. They've answered this stuff already.

2 hours ago, Gazza said:

I think the only thing missing is some sort of water ride, but that could come in the future.

This and/or a proper dark ride of sorts. Although in saying that, I'm not sure it'd suit. LP to me is more of a boardwalk-esque park, rather than a fully fledged theme park like something in the Gold Coast or Florida - (Think the Santa Monica Pier in LA).

They're pretty limited for room too, so unless they expand beyond Maloney's Corner (or should I say Luna Land) to where the train yard is, I don't think any other attractions would be feasible.

• Like 1

Anyone else reckon it was a nod to prior big dipper to have a loop and sidewinder in the same spot?

image.png.7c32abcd7dd76c2a0b4f6fd29911029c.png

image.thumb.png.171925c57a6561a88e7751fac9e309b8.png

Re future expansion, i wonder what the chances are of expanding onto a deck over the water adjacent to the family shuttle coaster?

They could also eventually turn the Big Top into a new all weather ride hall....

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Anyone else reckon it was a nod to prior big dipper to have a loop and sidewinder in the same spot?

Re future expansion, i wonder what the chances are of expanding onto a deck over the water adjacent to the family shuttle coaster?

They could also eventually turn the Big Top into a new all weather ride hall....

I think there is more than a nod here - I think its very clever how they have done that. It gives a certain continuity that is comforting other than just having the name.

Expanding onto the deck over the water could be an option , however the issue is that this is outside of the park envelope and is not in control of the park. There would be some considerable resistance to this I think- the park would have to guarantee that the path would remain or free access would continue. Thats the only way it would get through- but yes I believe that it could be done.

As for using the Big Top for an all weather ride hall- that idea was floated and tried by the park years ago. They certainly would not make it a permanent fixture (after all the Big Top is an important revenue stream for the park) but they could certainly use it for holiday periods for temporary rides or attractions or exhibitions. In fact that has been utilised this way previously for holiday Lego exhibitions. I would love to see a temporary walk through attraction set up for Halloween that stays for the end of the january school holidays become an annual event but of course it all depends on what shows the Big Top has booked or attracted.

Once the new rides have been established, the park needs a good dark ride attraction. This could be done in a number of ways- in my mind moving the dodgems back to under the Wild Mouse would be number one and utilsing the space under Big Dipper to develop a new dark ride attraction. The Deck Bar and restaurant at the front of the park takes up some very valuable real estate and whilst also a considerable revenue stream in its own right, if reutilised could be a good spot for a dark ride attraction.

There has also been talk about utilsing the space on top of the carpark in previous years- which is currently grassed- and whether this space could be utilised. It could definitely be incorporated in some way in the future- they would just have to ensure that access to the midway below is somehow maintained. 

Remember also that the space where the Volare now resides and the old admin building behind was at one point going to be a cinema with a DA approval for this and then this was transformed into a flying theatre attraction that went to council but overall plans were cancelled. In future years the park could definitely go left of field just like they have done with this annoucement!!

Exciting times to be sure!

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

100% It's these little details many are missing. I realised this last night after watching BD 2.0 on youtube. What a way to salute the past. 

Even the station is almost in the same spot as the original. As for the Big Top. Tough one. Given all these new rides are coming I don't see them adding a dark ride. In fact the parks against them due to the Ghost Train. I am sure we can all appreciate that. The Big Top stands on the same site also.

The expansion onto the boardwalk. I don't think will ever happen. Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority is pretty strict about many things. Given that the back end of the park has always caused issues I don't see management wanting to push their luck with that.

I know people want a dark ride. After these announcements, they don't need one at all. Just today Sydney folk are about gobsmacked we are getting such attractions in our little park.

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

I think having a bumper boat ride would be a good idea to have. And possibly if they get that heritage train line and path through the sidings could give some more room for LPS to expand further. I wonder what will happen in another 25 years or so when we consider these rides outdated and want them replaced with new rides? Maybe even Parkz will still exist! This forum has been around for 17 years now and is still quite active.

I don't see the park expansion any further into the lavender bay area. Even with the said future plans for this area. Residents would definitely resist against this. Plus just beyond  Lavender Green is a garden that is a memorial to the victims of the ghost train fire. It was established by a local artist and residents. I don't see them wanting to relocate this.