Luna Park Sydney to invest $30 million on major upgrade, new rides

Parkz News

I wonder if after this expansion, Coney Island will get some attention? It has soo much potential and I feel that if they remodel the interior, they could really maximise their space.

(Don’t get me wrong - I’m far beyond grateful for the expansion we’re getting now. Just got me thinking on what would be next as this basically leaves the wild mouse and rotor to be the oldest  attractions in the park - of which I don’t see getting removed anytime soon.)

2 minutes ago, BringADecentParkToSydney said:

I feel that if they remodel the interior, they could really maximise their space.

You're joking, right? I don't think they'd be able to do that, let alone want to. The only thing i feel they should do to Coney Island is paint the ugly silver part on the front when the park's closed.

Screenshot_854.png.5b6e8aacf8b79ecd7ff4d161da42efe2.png

1 minute ago, Yyosh said:

You're joking, right? I don't think they'd be able to do that, let alone want to. The only thing i feel they should do to Coney Island is paint the ugly silver part on the front when the park's closed.

Screenshot_854.png.5b6e8aacf8b79ecd7ff4d161da42efe2.png

Well at least refurbish it - some of the functions/features on the walkway in don’t even work, plus some areas could do with a paint job (I didn’t mean stray away from the “fun house” aspect - my bad, I should have made myself clearer).

I definitely wish they would extend the facade all the way around too - especially considering those lined up for BP will get a view of it. 

3 minutes ago, BringADecentParkToSydney said:

Well at least refurbish it - some of the functions/features on the walkway in don’t even work, plus some areas could do with a paint job (I didn’t mean stray away from the “fun house” aspect - my bad, I should have made myself clearer).

I definitely wish they would extend the facade all the way around too - especially considering those lined up for BP will get a view of it. 

I agree with you partly, they should definitely refurbish it (the clown face on top of the rope maze is full of dust), but the interior layout's been mostly the same since 1938. IMO, changing it wouldn't be very smart.

33 minutes ago, BringADecentParkToSydney said:

Seriously? Look lets get this idea out of yours and everyone else who thinks it would be a good idea heads. Coney Island is one of the last remaining 1930's Funhouses left intact in the WORLD. That alone should give you pause. It is the only remaining attraction from the opening in 1935. It is largely unchanged inside ( except for some minor cosmetic changes) with the exception of moving the Mirror Maze under the slides. Even then this had to be accomplished by appealing to the Heritage council for approval. Its protected by state government legislation and is placed on the State Heritage listing along with the Towers, Face and Crystal Palace as structures of immense historical value. It does not need extending. Any operator who runs the park is bound by legislation to ensure that the upkeep of Coney Island is kept in strict working order and condition  pursuant to the legislative requirements. ( As is Wild Mouse). It does not need extending. It needs maintaining and protecting. Its a miracle that it is in the excellent condition it is in. It is a living museum and a testatment to those times past and quite frankly is the soul of the park and a good reason that the park has the unique charm it has. It is internationally known and recognised as being an item of significant amusement park history. It just needs to be maintained exactly as it is with the sole goal of preserving it in its current, historical state. You just do not tinker with that.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BringADecentParkToSydney said:

I wonder if after this expansion, Coney Island will get some attention? It has soo much potential and I feel that if they remodel the interior, they could really maximise their space.

(Don’t get me wrong - I’m far beyond grateful for the expansion we’re getting now. Just got me thinking on what would be next as this basically leaves the wild mouse and rotor to be the oldest  attractions in the park - of which I don’t see getting removed anytime soon.)

Oh my 🤯. Remodel the interior of the last remaining 1930's heritage-listed funhouse to maximise space. 

Takes a deep breath.

Its a 1930's funhouse. Coney island is a fun park within an amusement park. To make any changes would also ruin its patina. This funhouse has survived so many things its not funny. It has been flooded, bad birds living in it for years. The roof caved in during the late 80's I think also even the floor rotted away. Resident artists Ashely has updated new murals to tie in nicely but refuses to touch the old ones. Yes its got some dust and yeah some of the original artworks are faded but seriously that's the charm of the place. To even do dusting on something like the clown head above the ropes maze usually involves a lot of paperwork and someone from the national heritage trust I'm sure.

When they have to conduct a repair on a body slide or even the joy wheel it needs to be done in such a way because the building and original items inside are heritage listed. This is why the joy wheel has had an unvarnished piece of plywood on It for a while.

Building codes have changed also throughout the years. If you have ever been to Coney Island you will notice "drains" on the floor throughout it. They are true drains (kind of) but also act as part of the fire suppression system. As for the "steel" look yeah I can't lie. It looks annoying but services its fire purpose. We might see a giant vinyl tarp go over this area much as they did with the backside of Coney Island.

At the end of the day, it is a heritage-listed building with heritage-listed items inside. 

• Like 2

I can now confirm that Spider's last day of operation was on Sunday the 22nd of November. Dismantling started this morning, and the ride will be gone by tomorrow. The exciting news is that the truck that's being moved has the Joylands logo on there! It's going to now operate as a carnival ride by Joylands!

Here are some photo's from this evening at Luna Park showing Maloney's Corner. Watch this space as it's already changed. And will continue to change throughout next year.

IMG20201125190802.jpg

IMG20201125190417.jpg

IMG20201125190054.jpg

IMG20201125185952.jpg

IMG20201125185841.jpg

IMG20201125184839.jpg

IMG20201125184249.jpg

IMG20201125184436.jpg

IMG20201125184308.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

I can now confirm that Spider's last day of operation was on Sunday the 22nd of November. Dismantling started this morning, and the ride will be gone by tomorrow. The exciting news is that the truck that's being moved has the Joylands logo on there! It's going to now operate as a carnival ride by Joylands!

Here are some photo's from this evening at Luna Park showing Maloney's Corner. Watch this space as it's already changed. And will continue to change throughout next year.

IMG20201125190802.jpg

IMG20201125190417.jpg

IMG20201125190054.jpg

IMG20201125185952.jpg

IMG20201125185841.jpg

IMG20201125184839.jpg

IMG20201125184249.jpg

IMG20201125184436.jpg

IMG20201125184308.jpg

Damn, I was expecting spider to close at the end of January when the park starts renovating. Gutted I didn't ride it when I was there on Sunday.

3 hours ago, Jobe said:

Seriously? Look lets get this idea out of yours and everyone else who thinks it would be a good idea heads. Coney Island is one of the last remaining 1930's Funhouses left intact in the WORLD. That alone should give you pause. It is the only remaining attraction from the opening in 1935. It is largely unchanged inside ( except for some minor cosmetic changes) with the exception of moving the Mirror Maze under the slides. Even then this had to be accomplished by appealing to the Heritage council for approval. Its protected by state government legislation and is placed on the State Heritage listing along with the Towers, Face and Crystal Palace as structures of immense historical value. It does not need extending. Any operator who runs the park is bound by legislation to ensure that the upkeep of Coney Island is kept in strict working order and condition  pursuant to the legislative requirements. ( As is Wild Mouse). It does not need extending. It needs maintaining and protecting. Its a miracle that it is in the excellent condition it is in. It is a living museum and a testatment to those times past and quite frankly is the soul of the park and a good reason that the park has the unique charm it has. It is internationally known and recognised as being an item of significant amusement park history. It just needs to be maintained exactly as it is with the sole goal of preserving it in its current, historical state. You just do not tinker with that.

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

Oh my 🤯. Remodel the interior of the last remaining 1930's heritage-listed funhouse to maximise space. 

Takes a deep breath.

Its a 1930's funhouse. Coney island is a fun park within an amusement park. To make any changes would also ruin its patina. This funhouse has survived so many things its not funny. It has been flooded, bad birds living in it for years. The roof caved in during the late 80's I think also even the floor rotted away. Resident artists Ashely has updated new murals to tie in nicely but refuses to touch the old ones. Yes its got some dust and yeah some of the original artworks are faded but seriously that's the charm of the place. To even do dusting on something like the clown head above the ropes maze usually involves a lot of paperwork and someone from the national heritage trust I'm sure.

When they have to conduct a repair on a body slide or even the joy wheel it needs to be done in such a way because the building and original items inside are heritage listed. This is why the joy wheel has had an unvarnished piece of plywood on It for a while.

Building codes have changed also throughout the years. If you have ever been to Coney Island you will notice "drains" on the floor throughout it. They are true drains (kind of) but also act as part of the fire suppression system. As for the "steel" look yeah I can't lie. It looks annoying but services its fire purpose. We might see a giant vinyl tarp go over this area much as they did with the backside of Coney Island.

At the end of the day, it is a heritage-listed building with heritage-listed items inside. 

Yikes.. to say I’m guilty would have to be a major understatement - honestly did not mean to upset anyone with that notion. I always knew Coney Island was heritage listed but had thought that the interior had more flexibility within those restraints (i.e. the mirror maze). My bad. Apologies for that. 

1 hour ago, Jobe said:

Looks like for January it’s going to have to be filled with travelling rides to fill the space. Maybe Joylands will fill it up with just about every ride in their roster?

On a different note - I wonder if enough room remains for pirates revenge? I suppose if roundup was moved to where Spider was it could be feasible, at least for the Summer heat.

Most of Joyland's rides will be heading to their annual Christmas carnival at Jervis Bay, so doubt anything of value will be added (unless Pirates Revenge makes a surprise return for the summer). Spider will be returning (hopefully) at a later date, definitely not to the park and not for a few years at least, but there's the chance you could see it around at one point or another. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BringADecentParkToSydney said:

On a different note - I wonder if enough room remains for pirates revenge? I suppose if roundup was moved to where Spider was it could be feasible, at least for the Summer heat.

I can confirm pirates revenge will not return to luna park and that's coming from my dad's friend that works there

Edited by Coasterlife
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BringADecentParkToSydney said:

Yikes.. to say I’m guilty would have to be a major understatement - honestly did not mean to upset anyone with that notion. I always knew Coney Island was heritage listed but had thought that the interior had more flexibility within those restraints (i.e. the mirror maze). My bad. Apologies for that. 

Didn't offend me. Just was worried you didn't understand it was heritage listed.

I do not believe pirates revenge will make an appearance at the park again. The current lineup is what they'll use.

On 25/11/2020 at 7:38 PM, AheadMatthewawsome said:

IMG20201125190802.jpg

IMG20201125190417.jpg

IMG20201125190054.jpg

IMG20201125185952.jpg

IMG20201125185841.jpg

IMG20201125184839.jpg

IMG20201125184249.jpg

IMG20201125184436.jpg

IMG20201125184308.jpg

Lol... best comment all week...

"It's now going to operate as a carnival ride by Joylands"

Sure.

15 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

Lol... best comment all week...

"It's now going to operate as a carnival ride by Joylands"

Sure.

Can you give us the inside goss then?. You commented the other day you would see Trokia & Ranger. So I gather you might know the company or new owner whos purchased it up north?.

13 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Can you give us the inside goss then?. You commented the other day you would see Trokia & Ranger. So I gather you might know the company or new owner whos purchased it up north?.

Troika definitely won’t be seeing the light of day again, Ranger is being used for parts, Break Dance... well who knows, but just because Joylands are removing these rides, doesn’t mean they’ll be travelling 

Can confirm that the Round Up, Power Surge, Rockin Tug and Body Rock will be at Luna Park for the school holidays until they close the park for the start of the renovations on January 27th 2021. Was hopeful that the Hurricane might make an appearance as well but unfortunately that is not the case.

Edited by Jobe
  • Like 4

With Luna Land now being built. That’s where all the rides from Joylands go! Would it be an idea to stop having rides from Joylands at LPS? Or probably just have very small rides (at most Body Rock or Hurricane). But that might change if the Sydney Harbour Highland Line project goes ahead. They could give some land to Luna Park to have more rides where some of the sidings are now at.

2 hours ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

With Luna Land now being built. That’s where all the rides from Joylands go! Would it be an idea to stop having rides from Joylands at LPS? Or probably just have very small rides (at most Body Rock or Hurricane). But that might change if the Sydney Harbour Highland Line project goes ahead. They could give some land to Luna Park to have more rides where some of the sidings are now at.

Seriously. Think about it. Where are they going to put ANY temporary rides once the new refurbishment is finished?? The temporary rides were just additions for the school holidays as they had the room to do so. Now that Maloney's Corner is a fully fleshed out area and with the addition of Big Dipper 3.0 , there will not be any need for extra rides. 

The Sydney Harbour Highline is just a project in development and a proposal at this stage- NOTHING has been green lit or signed off.

Even if it were so, they would NEVER gift Luna Park any more land from the sidings- they will be in existence for quite a while. Also the recent failed attempt by Luna Park to have a DA for the Lavender Green and the subsequent opposition from residents has put paid to any further expansion by the park down this route.

The only way moving forward for LPS to have temporary rides of any sort is to source land/ room within their current boundarys. There are only really 2 options for mine- the grassed area on top of the car park has a significant space that could be utilised for smaller attractions but the problem remains that this must be connected back to the Midway somehow. A solution to this is certainly feasible with a bit of vision.

Lastly, during holiday periods, they could utilise the Big Top as an all weather site to base temporary attractions- they did set up rides inside a few years ago to test this concept. This could also work and could be the site of a holiday walkthrough attraction if they desired. This entirely depends on the amount of use and bookings that the Big Top is experiencing, of course. Its a major revenue stream for the park and they would not decrease its use as a function centre for temporary rides.

• Like 2

Long time, no post!

I like so many of you am thrilled to see our theme park industry burgeoning into a world-class offering by next year.  A prospective total of up to six (if not five) coasters is a huge win for Aussie's tourism and just the shot the in the arm we'll need after the year we've had (vaccine pun very much intended).

Will 2021 be an unprecedented year? Perhaps those older than I could shed some light. I've never heard of such a strong offering across multiple Aussie parks within a single year.

The only other thing I'll say about the Big Dipper, that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that it's not going to be an RMC-killer. Sure, it's a fantastic looking coaster and all, but the pitch seems to be that it's a high-thrill machine among family coasters and rides. Ignoring height/length restrictions (that would be an unfair sleight against LPS), it's just not going to have the forces or the speed of Jersey Devil, or even Wonder Woman Golden Lasso/RailBlazer. And there's Intamin's track record on reliability to consider, which I think should speak for itself.

Not to piss on anyone's bonfire and I'm still excited to be riding a new Intamin at my home park next year. This is still fantastic news. It's just got me thinking... If DCR wasn't yet the saviour our parks needed, this may not be either...

• Like 2

I think it'll be fairly close to the RMCs, but you're right probably a little less intense.

It seems Intamin responded fairly quickly to RMCs design style, starting with Steel Dolphin

https://rcdb.com/15797.htm#p=98246

And then seemingly going all out with the Walibi mega coaster and Velocicoaster.

Walibi Belgium]'s 2021 Intamin Mega Coaster looks AMAZING! The first train  is set to arrive this month, while the second the second one will be  delivered in November. Credit: EDB Attraction :

Pic of Velocicoaster's roll, stall, and...whatever the hell that is  (@bioreconstruct) : rollercoasters

I reckon the higher centre of gravity of the Intamin one will add a bit of force too.

• Like 1