Luna Park Sydney to invest $30 million on major upgrade, new rides

Parkz News

52 minutes ago, Jobe said:

Luna Park has been hit with a $5000 fine for breaching COVID Restrictions on New Years Eve.

The report is below:

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/sydneys-luna-park-cops-covid-fine-for-nye-c-1948906?fbclid=IwAR1agjohTzqixm6CYsVOVy-jF9FMbBcSEuC23dsKVWbMzcQzgOL2nCX0c7Y

What a coincidence that I've been to LPS today! Ever since I heard about it when they started the investigation, coincidently when I was last there. Am I becoming a curse? I'm very disappointed that LPS weren't able to keep COVIDSAFE during NYE.

A few things have changed since then with the COVIDSAFE plan. For an example, staff and guests are now required to wear masks indoors. And that they should have a mask with them at all times. 

But defiantly guests during NYE could have done more stuff. Like wearing a mask, not running over security, physical distancing, or even a crazy thing called not attending and leaving!

It's very lucky that no outbreak happened, and that nobody died! It's also very lucky that it's just a $5000 fine. It might sound like a lot (it probably is). You would only need around 70 guests to pay it all off with everyone paying $50!

It'll probably be interesting how the mainstream news media thinks about this when they start broadcasting in 5 minutes! Hope things will still stay fine with no troubles!

16 hours ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

It's very lucky that no outbreak happened, and that nobody died! It's also very lucky that it's just a $5000 fine. It might sound like a lot (it probably is). You would only need around 70 guests to pay it all off with everyone paying $50!

70 people pay $50 is $3500. That would not cut it- 100 people paying $50 would equal the $5000 fine. Its the simplest of math. You should work on that.

In the grand scheme of things, I think this is a minor blip in the radar. Its not a good look now of course but it appears that that the fine was for NOT adhereing to social distancing rather than their lack of COVID plan- with the NYE fireworks and congregation this let them down. It should have been better managed and with the focus on a lack of people at the harbour by the media this gathering was always going to bring attention. The park will shut down on the 27th January to begin refurbishment- this will be hardly remembered amongst the hoopla of reopening in June. Simple mistake but not a chronic one.

Edited by Jobe

• 2 weeks later...

I visited the park for the last time until closing this morning and took a few photos. They aren't great or very interesting but there already might be some progress happening.

IMG20210123124935.thumb.jpg.5c3a8bacb9b41626072b30521ed2e4cb.jpg

Maloney's corner is pretty much unrecognisable now with its two main rides gone.

IMG20210123125243.thumb.jpg.853e5f587eeddee01a9312108cb79c1c.jpg

Screenshot_922.png.73d8e3273189c5034b7797b0124165dc.png

This excavator is digging a hole inside pink markings. Sorry about the photo quality, the best view of it was from on Round Up. This might be for a footer from Big Dipper as a support goes right to that spot on the concept art.

IMG20210123111134.thumb.jpg.6e698cac45f77a4abdfb3efd7a9dabb4.jpg

Similar pink markings were around the area. These ones here might be for the Family Shuttle Coaster.

IMG20210123130443.thumb.jpg.a16f27aeb6c2aa6332bdf5392850377c.jpg

Most of the red pool fences around the kids rides have been replaced with temporary fencing. I only just noticed that and I have no idea if it's always been like this as it's only around the ones owned by Joylands. 

Anyways, I can't wait for what 2021 will bring. This is definitely what Luna Park needed and I still can't believe we're getting this.

Edited by Yyosh
removed an extra unnecessary image of the pink markings
  • Like 2

Welp, it's official. Luna Park Sydney is now shut until at least June 26th at 10:00 AM. I was there today, and got to have a chat with everyone before it shut. As it's Australia Day, you could get a behind the scenes look into the 2021 Australia day event. Coney Island shook when the fighter jets came through at the speed of sound! There was also a helicopter during the day filming the events in the sky. It was quite quiet at the park with now only 500 people allowed per event. And there was no sign of the press at all today!  It all ended with a big parade with a certain addition to the parade. Then when the closing music turned on, everyone left. All that was left was a ghost town, with the staff getting chocolates, and a party that's happening as I speak. The only guest left was singing down at B7 in the Carpark. I will be posting more information soon!

Capture 153.PNG

Edited by AheadMatthewawsome

Quick Update: went past luna park today and they were mostly starting to pack up Maloneys corner and were removing the temporary fences, wasn't able to take photos because my phone died but i will try to get back there sometime in February 

Edited by Coasterlife
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

Yeah, it was pretty much like that! Except for it being a bit thinner and a bit of colour as well.

They've been using a mix of logos in recent times. I don't mind them having that “nostalgic” ;) feeling. 

It's what the park has always done. Use the feeling of old to move into the future. Smart marketing move (if it indeed was intentional) as the Park was last refurbed in a big way for it's 2004 reopening. 

I walked past today and it they have not removed the Zamperla rockin'tug next to hair raiser yet, It might be removed tomorrow but we will have to wait and see, Also the grass area in Maloneys corner seems to be where the rides will be placed while they await construction 

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2531 (1).jpg

Edited by Coasterlife
had to compress images
  • Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 3:58 PM, Coasterlife said:

I walked past today and it they have not removed the Zamperla rockin'tug next to hair raiser yet, It might be removed tomorrow but we will have to wait and see, Also the grass area in Maloneys corner seems to be where the rides will be placed while they await construction 

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2531 (1).jpg

There is quite considerable evidence that Rockin Tug will stay. LPS Staff operate the ride instead of Joylands Staff, and they have put up permeant signs for the ride. Probably it's because of that trade between Joylands and LPS. Joylands has gotten Spider and Moon Ranger. While LPS has gotten Rockin Tug.

11 hours ago, Jobe said:

Bit of further info for the board members who are interested. The building firm who are doing the major works at Luna Park Sydney are Lipmans. Lipmans also were the main firm used in the construction of Wet 'N'Wild Sydney so they certainly have former experience.

The work on the site will start in earnest from today ( Monday the 1st February).

Luna Park are also setting up time lapse cameras on the construction site and are planning on  sharing new footage monthly.

Onwards and upwards!!

i'll be back there this weekend

• Like 1

Anyone else think the kiddie ferris wheel should not be called just "BUG" if that turns out to be its official name, Because i just feel like they could do better on a name for that

Also possibly a Zamperla kanga bounce is going into the area left of the Loopy lighthouse?

Edited by Coasterlife
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coasterlife said:

Sorry to add on but im not 100% sure if anyone pointed this out but 

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 8.01.06 pm.png

Yea. I certainly did. Have another read! . 👍

Also, from where did you draw the conclusion of the park getting a Kanga bounce? All the new rides had been accounted for from the renderings from the park. 

Edited by Jobe