Carnivale 2020

Brad2912

3 minutes ago, Rabbit2014 said:

Im taking the family on second night, tho it’s a shame storm coaster doesn’t run at night but it is my first chance to finally come to this event and it sounds like it will be a good event

Storm coaster generally does run at night, it’s just down for maintenance from Feb 1

6 hours ago, Rabbit2014 said:

Im taking the family on second night, tho it’s a shame storm coaster doesn’t run at night but it is my first chance to finally come to this event and it sounds like it will be a good event

Storm coaster was running last night well at least while it was still light it was still in operation 

9 hours ago, Rabbit2014 said:

Ignore all this. Other replied didn't load.

Edited by Naazon
I'm an idiot

Carnivale 2021 could be described in one word: Generic. 

I want applaud them for taking a new approach this year and trying to implement themed areas with specific entertainment and food offerings. It is really refreshing to see a park attempt to give the event a cohesive feel, it just disheartens me that it was executed in the cheapest possible manner. Each area was a small collection of vaguely relevant performers, a printed canvas sign and an often out-of-sorts float. Boundaries between each area were more often than not an afterthought. Why is the Tex-Mex truck in New Orleans and not in the relevant Mexico section of the park? Why is the Bayou float located in Africa? Why is Rio’s defining feature a set of wall lights and a third-party vendor? Rather than standing as strong individual experiences that come to together to form the pastiche that is Carnivale, each world is a hodgepodge that stems from a desire to market the event in a different manner. 

Within each section there is one thing I must praise: the food. Like the years preceding it, Carnivale 2021 has some great food. Options stem from traditional theme park fare of burgers, fries and hot dogs, through to curries and grill plates. As a more adventurous eater, I would’ve loved to have seen a few more “exotic” options through the park. A missed chance from some jambalaya and beignets.

Aquacolour stands as what may be the only attempt at a nighttime finale in any Australian park, and I think it the type of show that can really cap off the night and leave a lasting impression in guests before they leave. It is a real shame to say that I didn't enjoy the show this year. While they dropped last years vague attempt at a narrative, they also dropped any personality or unique identity the show had. Royalty-free EDM and Dubstep scores the entire performance, seasoned with plenty Dramatic Rise sound effects for good measure. Clip-Art covers each and every foundation of water, so much so that I can't even recall what was projected. 

Aquacolour grabs your attention right at showtime with a literal bang; fireworks. It is a move that reminds me of the former Illuminations at EPCOT, one of my personal favourite shows of all time. Unlike that show, Aquacolour doesn't maintain your attention. There are no peaks and valleys, no variation between scenes; it stays at a constant, middling pace as if it was put in cruise control. While I understand that it may be hard to pace a show when you have no narrative or dramatic arc, it can still be done, and it must be done to make an engaging show. Simply put, contrast is exciting, monotony isn't. Aquacolour 2021 doesn't carve an identity or leave a lasting impression, it just simply exists.

I wanted to like this year, believe me, and there's plenty that I did enjoy. It such a shame to say that Carnivale 2021 just didn't leave an impression in the slightest. For whatever happens to the event in the coming years, I hope that Village can push themselves a little bit further and make an event that doesn't just satisfy but exceed.

Edited by Zanstabar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile my whole group loved it and are excited for next years.

The older members loved the roaming entertainment and watching their grandson go on rides. They also enjoyed relaxing at the end watching the show.

Orur son loved the ambiance brought on by the added music, both live and recordings and enjoyed the rides at night and was so captivated by the final show his ice cream wasn't touched (waste of money :( ).

My partner and I enjoyed watching her parents and our son have a great night. 

None of us have ever experienced any themed night outside of Australia so maybe thats why we didn't fine it "generic" or maybe our expectations are lower. 

Either way we had a great family night.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2021 at 11:34 PM, colonelbmx said:

I went in thinking so poorly I had no hope but wow what a show hats off to them from last year to this year %100 improvement I would pay to go again we enjoyed the entire experience that much.

When their standards and attempts are so lackluster, any improvement is sung with praise.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah must admit, I'm not normally a fan of that sort of thing (lighting a closed ride), but I think you're right on this. I've been getting photos from non theme park people who are like 'Woah' and getting all excited for when it does open, so light it up pretty all you like! Wooden coasters do look kind of magic at night too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Move it back to Movie World.

Look that was my thoughts up until this year, but the Aqua show this time around was next level. It made the event and it wouldn’t have been possible at MW. 

if they can deliver that standard (and higher) in future years then it has its home at SW for mine based purely on that signature attraction alone. 

Unlike FN and WC which really have shown little to no improvement in the past 3-4 years,  Carnivale has improved year on year. 

• Like 5