Movie world Maintenance 2021

Brendo88

13 minutes ago, Im Hungry said:

Park-wide blackout happened today. ALL rides and I assume most outlets were closed during this period. In the end they managed to get most of the rides back up and running again today before close.

Blackout was from Gold Coast, Brisbane up to Bundaberg, so I expect all parks would of had no power for a period.

23 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

fair enough. Strange as most of the residential on that side had no issue nor did Westfield from what i have heard.

My suburb lost power, but everything in my house stayed on as i've got solar on the roof. My two neighbours also had power despite not having solar, because my grid feed-in was sufficient for them to run also. We've long since left the dark-ages of an 'all or nothing' blackout situation - there are many places that are self-sufficient on solar, battery and so on.

As for the 'eastern side of the motorway' - Westfield Coomera installed a 2.334MW solar system as part of the build - 6 roofs on 3 separate building structures, with half the total system built into the top of their carpark shade structures - the largest solar car park in Australia at the time of opening. 

I'd suggest that many places nearby benefitted from the daytime sunlight hitting westfield around that time. My system was producing close to max output at 2pm, so chances are thats why nearby had no issues. Sadly, probably not enough to run a theme park. 

What happened at Queensland's Callide Power Station and will we lose power again? - ABC News

7 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

My suburb lost power, but everything in my house stayed on as i've got solar on the roof. My two neighbours also had power despite not having solar, because my grid feed-in was sufficient for them to run also. We've long since left the dark-ages of an 'all or nothing' blackout situation - there are many places that are self-sufficient on solar, battery and so on.

As for the 'eastern side of the motorway' - Westfield Coomera installed a 2.334MW solar system as part of the build - 6 roofs on 3 separate building structures, with half the total system built into the top of their carpark shade structures - the largest solar car park in Australia at the time of opening. 

I'd suggest that many places nearby benefitted from the daytime sunlight hitting westfield around that time. My system was producing close to max output at 2pm, so chances are thats why nearby had no issues. Sadly, probably not enough to run a theme park. 

What happened at Queensland's Callide Power Station and will we lose power again? - ABC News

Off topic, but can you point me in the right direction regarding your house and Westfield powering the suburb? My understanding of the electricity grid and solar exports is that if the property is in a blackout, unless you have a battery system, the property, and the PV system goes dark, and certainly does not export back to the grid. If the blackout is due to say a cable coming down, having PV systems which are active exporting back into that failed grid/ cable is incredibly dangerous. 

7 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

Off topic, but can you point me in the right direction regarding your house and Westfield powering the suburb? My understanding of the electricity grid and solar exports is that if the property is in a blackout, unless you have a battery system, the property, and the PV system goes dark, and certainly does not export back to the grid. If the blackout is due to say a cable coming down, having PV systems which are active exporting back into that failed grid/ cable is incredibly dangerous. 

My understanding too. I'll double check with my sparky mate on the weekend too. 

Admittedly, my solar system is brand new. This is the first outage we've had since it went active, and I can only tell you what happened here. My monitoring system shows it continued to generate and export throughout the afternoon.

Maybe I should get it checked out?

The only other thought i'm having is that it wasn't a 'blackout' and only a 'brownout' - Callide dropped about 800MW, but the network tripped out about 3000MW, but Queensland's demand at the time was around 8000MW - so clearly some folks didn't lose power. If the network was undercurrent, but not completely off - would that still trip solar cutoff? or would some areas lacking solar just not have enough generation to power everything?

Keen to hear what your sparky mate has to say @red dragin

Is it possible your area or distribution did not get affected by the outage @DaptoFunlandGuy? I’ve spoken to some solar experts that did my system last year in Gympie, and the only explanation they gave was that your house + neighbours was on a different distro, and hence not affected by the blackout. “The only way that system should have continued to generate is if the meter and inverter/s had sufficient power off the grid, or if it had a battery connected. Then again, a battery would not have powered anyone except the premises it’s connected to. The export certainly should not have powered it’s neighbour’s in a blackout. If it did, then there is something seriously wrong with that system.”

Apologies for the off topic discussion. 

Our house is right next to a padmount transformer. My wife worked for the company that built the entire estate so i've seen the plans including the civils. We are number 1 off the pad, and my two neighbours are number 2 & 3. Across the road (fed from the same tranny) lost power for about an hour. :shrug:

6 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Our house is right next to a padmount transformer. My wife worked for the company that built the entire estate so i've seen the plans including the civils. We are number 1 off the pad, and my two neighbours are number 2 & 3. Across the road (fed from the same tranny) lost power for about an hour. :shrug:

If that’s the case, I’d be getting your system checked by an independent solar installer. That’s not typical behaviour. 

back to doomsday..