Movie world Maintenance 2021

Brendo88

51 minutes ago, Levram__ said:

Wild West Falls is defiantly getting a brand new fleet of boats from White Water with each guest having their own personal lapbar. Similar intent to Road Runner however differing in design. From my understanding this will mean the station is being upgraded to a progressive station with multiple blocks (Waiting, Unload, Load). 

Individual lap bars make me super un-easy on a boat ride. I think Cedar Point’s defunct boat ride is the canary in the goldmine on why you don’t do this. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, red dragin said:

Could you please elaborate? (I know nothing about the ride you've mentioned). 

I believe the reference is against Shoot the Rapids which closed in 2013 after a mechanical failure of a lift hill causing a boat not to engage with the anti-rollback system, evidently causing the boat to descend the lift backwards and tip on its side/upside down. 

On 27/08/2021 at 4:32 PM, MrLukeCarroll said:

Did Movie World get a great deal with a sign printer or somethign? Why are they replacing their old 3D signs with these new flat ones...

I believe Movie World now has their own sign printing workshop which makes these in-house. Not sure if they've always had it? I don't think it's too bad in this case because the new RR logo is decent plus there is a little bit of relief in the signage, and it looks like it has been placed on fake track for extra dimension? The Scooby Next Gen one was terrible though. Hoping this won't become a standard for major attraction signage - they need to stick with whichever company made the Doomsday signage (Sculpt Studios?)!

On 27/08/2021 at 6:19 PM, themagician said:

Something I noticed during the testing was they have added some sound effects/audio of road runner as the train leaves and arrives at the station and ascends up the lift hill. I believe there was porky pig and maybe another character who did announcements 

Oooh, sounds awesome 🤩 

Probably age, rust, cracking, etc. Don't know if you've noticed, but they were doing a lot of cutting into the fake rocks when they were removing the sign too. Not sure if they removed any other parts in the ride like they did at yosemite sam's train where they removed all the rock theming that passed over your head. Same thing seems to have happened at Road runner. They took all the rock arch way down too, not just the sign.

On 27/08/2021 at 4:03 PM, themagician said:

And who’s ready to see the most disappointing attraction entrance sign we’ve seen from MW?

I don't know - the replacement WWF flat signwriters steel is a pretty good contender for that title...

On 27/08/2021 at 9:36 PM, Brad2912 said:

The brakes are on the track, not on the train. I’m not sure if they’ve tweaked the brake run but I wouldn’t necessarily be expecting that will be different 

I CBF going back, but i'm 100% certain we saw workers on the lift hill a few months back doing wiring all the way up. It stands to reason with those two factors that they've probably done work on the track as well as the train and we can probably expect the brakes (something notorious amongst RRRC riders) would garner some attention.

On 28/08/2021 at 8:37 PM, themagician said:

The only one that is passable is WWF

Thanks for the pictures - you're right this one isn't too bad - but do you have the earlier sign - the one of the vultures near intencity \ doomsday ?

19 hours ago, Tinter said:

Village don't understand that 'old' doesn't always equal 'needing replacement'

Wonderland used to have these 'log troughs' running overhead. They weren't functional, but they were plumbed at various points to feed water wheels and other kinetic touches to the goldrush area.

One afternoon, (some time late 2001 i think) one of these logs fell on a guest and caused minor injuries. By the following morning, every single trough that went over a walkway or guest accessible area was taken down. It REALLY changed the area (not for the better) but you don't take risks with safety. If any sort of flaw was found in the marquee, it was right to remove it. It's the standard of the replacement we should complain about, not the removal - because we don't know why it was done.

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I CBF going back, but i'm 100% certain we saw workers on the lift hill a few months back doing wiring all the way up. It stands to reason with those two factors that they've probably done work on the track as well as the train and we can probably expect the brakes (something notorious amongst RRRC riders) would garner some attention.

Thanks for the pictures - you're right this one isn't too bad - but do you have the earlier sign - the one of the vultures near intencity \ doomsday ?

You’re right about the work on the lift hill. When I was there watching it undergo testing, they were testing the train safety systems of it stopping at the top of the lift hill and roll backs. After one run, it stopped on the final brakes for some time.

I don’t have pictures, but I don’t think they’ve updated that one? Unless I haven’t noticed 

2 hours ago, themagician said:

I don’t have pictures, but I don’t think they’ve updated that one? Unless I haven’t noticed 

100% the vultures have been updated. They were a three dimensional signboard below the vultures, and they're now a digitally printed signboard in the same place. similar style, but garishly modern compared to its surrounds.

Thankfully - google is my friend.

File:Wild West Falls area sign.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Riding Wild West Falls at Movie World. - YouTube

• Like 1

I'm going to speculate here.

The reason we're not seeing 3d signage any more is because of the difficulty and effort in adhering to the guidelines of double-fixing. I remember when I was reading through the coroner report for the RTRR and in it, engineers were pointing out fixings in the ride with single fixing points and that they should be addressed.

You can see such an example in the new sign in the image above, there's the chain holding the sign as originally but also there's now an additional wire as backup.

The incident DaptoFunlandGuy described at Wonderland is why. Something actually occurred, it was risk-assessed and now probably every insurance company for theme parks in Aus is going to require double-fixings or they'll have to pay additional premiums.

When you've got a 3d manufactured sign, how do you guarantee double wired fixings for each element stuck on the front without making it look like trash? Sure, you can glue/screw/bolt but a bean counter in insurance land somewhere will probably say not good enough.

There comes a point where a standard printed sign does the job well enough and is not worth the effort in fighting the bureaucrats.

• Like 5

On 31/08/2021 at 8:43 AM, Levithian said:

Its purely cost. Someone would have paid a painter to paint those 3d signs and keep them in good condition. Same with all the signwriting and murals. 

Now they just feed them out of a printer and stick them on and do without a painter. 

I have no doubt that this is the case, but it's really disappointing. It devalues the overall product and getting frustrating when you combine this penny pinching with increased costs to visit the parks. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...