Dreamworld Maintenance 2021

Coasterlife

2 hours ago, westical said:

Wait, we're assuming the DreamWorks licence is permanently expiring because they gave away free showbags and some horses were spotted on a truck?

I mean the timing does also add up since the DreamWorks agreement has been in place for nearly 10 years. I would also say its unlikey that DreamWorks parent company Universal Studios is keen to renew a licensing agreement at a potentially competing theme park made infamous for a tragic accident. I would say its most likely the deal will expire soon and Dreamworld will be forced to rebrand either to a new IP or more likely in my mind something generic and free of licensing agreements and obligations. If I was Dreameorld I would turn the DreamWorks area into a Worlds Fair themed section with Madagascar themed to Tanzania, Shrek turned into Britain and Kung Fu Panda rethemed to china and it wouldn't suprise me if this idea or something similar to it is what they end up actually doing.

Edited by Park Fan

4 minutes ago, Park Fan said:

If I was Dreameorld I would turn the DreamWorks area into a Worlds Fair themed section

I mean not the worst idea at all really. Maybe I'm old school but I think IP is a bit over rated. DreamWorks is a really good one and well is worth it, but not all IP is. If you're DW and going IP less, totally redoing one of the few areas of the park that works really well from scratch would be a huge diversion from where the money needs to be spent. World's Fair would be a very cheap, almost cynical way of getting rid of DreamWorks, but they almost need a bit of that with the cash situation as it is.

2 minutes ago, joz said:

I mean not the worst idea at all really. Maybe I'm old school but I think IP is a bit over rated. DreamWorks is a really good one and well is worth it, but not all IP is. If you're DW and going IP less, totally redoing one of the few areas of the park that works really well from scratch would be a huge diversion from where the money needs to be spent. World's Fair would be a very cheap, almost cynical way of getting rid of DreamWorks, but they almost need a bit of that with the cash situation as it is.

The best part is the only work that would need to be done is removing a few statues and renaming the rides the general theming for each area could remain. I mean theres no use letting that oriental atmosphere from kung fu panda go to waste when it could be kept in for a more generic chinese themed section.

Edited by Park Fan

9 hours ago, westical said:

Wait, we're assuming the DreamWorks licence is permanently expiring because they gave away free showbags and some horses were spotted on a truck?

I think it's a little bit more than that...

• The licence is near-on 10 years. A nice round number that has been suggested as the term of the agreement.
  • The park is cash strapped. They had to borrow money from the gov to build Taipan by all accounts. They probably can't afford to renew it
  • Dronkey has been completely removed and no suggestion of its return yet. Maintenance dates on website say May 31st, but last look at the ride it was completely missing
  • Gingy's gliders is also down, until Jun 22nd according to the website
  • Now the carousel is gone too. Suggested here that it was for repainting, but the park should have its own paint shop, so why?
  • They gave away free showbags full of licenced merch for no apparent reason

This is likely all conjecture, and i'm quite happy to be proven wrong - Dreamworks is the best themed area in the park and I doubt they could do 'as good' a job with a generic or alternate IP without a buttload of money they don't have right now, but there is quite a few points stacking up against them and nothing else to refute it right now.

If Dronkey returns on Monday, then we're probably missing the mark. But if Dronkey gets extended.... let the speculation begin! Continue!

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

An apology letter has just gone out to all Passholders explaining the large number of rides down for maintenance.

Passholders have been given a free Winterfest Park After Dark entry as an apology gift.

All passholders? Aww. I guess that means my pass is expired or i'm been banned from the property. It's weird because i'd normally get 2-3 of the same email whenever they do a mailout

28 minutes ago, Jdude95 said:

All passholders? Aww. I guess that means my pass is expired or i'm been banned from the property. It's weird because i'd normally get 2-3 of the same email whenever they do a mailout

Can confirm it has not gone to all pass holders, just those that have been recently with more rides down than usual.

Edited by Park Addict 93

*stands and applauds*

I'm pretty certain somewhere on the forums, I recently said 'be upfront about the current maintenance situation' instead of just pretending everything is normal. Whether that was prompted by the discussions on Parkz or whether someone in Dreamworld's corporate area just woke from a nap and realised it didn't look that good, either way - a big Kudos to them for not only explaining the issue, but also offering a token freebie as compensation - which is more than I would have expected - just a transparent explanation of what is beyond their control would have been enough, so kudos for going the extra mile... 

I won't go into detail about what non-passholder guests should take from this message though...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

*stands and applauds*

I'm pretty certain somewhere on the forums, I recently said 'be upfront about the current maintenance situation' instead of just pretending everything is normal.

- And by maintenance do you mean the Dreamworks license ending? Saying maintenance is definitely being "upfront about the current maintenance situation."

- Didn't the same 10-year line get pulled by John Osborne?

- This is the same company that including just a week ago, will push back maintenance dates back on the day they said they will re-open. Very upfront about the current maintenance situation.

On 20/05/2021 at 8:53 PM, Slick said:

So hang on, is Madagascar the only open coaster right now?

Turns out everyone has short memories. If enthusiasts looked through Parkz articles over the last few years they'd see It's the same old same old. But Because everyone's beloved Greg Yong is at top dog it looks like it is all smiles and roses.

Edited by Retardent