Dreamworld Maintenance 2021

Coasterlife

shockwave had a couple of breakdowns same with one on tailspin but everything else was running as normal. The park was very busy with a nearly 30min wait just to get food and all the lines full (gold coaster being half way down the spiral one point today.) a couple takeaways from today:

- little parts of Escape From Madagascar seem to be repainted, hopefully a full repaint soon 

- heard from a staff member MDMC has or will be getting a second train again, was unable to go on today to confirm. 

- heard from same staff member Buzzsaw’s building will be staying for the long term future as it is in good condition and will be used for events in the future.

- Claw was having some issues locking back into place after some of the cycles but was easily fixed with the gondola just slightly moving.

- rest of the Corroboree area has been reopened 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Not really comparing apples to apples though.

DCR didn’t launch in a covid arena with highly impacted domestic travel, community trepidation with crowds, and mandates stopping many families and/or groups of people from attending. The La Niña weather pattern doesn’t help planning a day out with certainty either at the moment 

Oh not at all. Dreamworld has also been plagued with attendance issues since 2016 so it's very optimistic to assume it would be packed and queued as far as Sky Voyager for example. It still would have been nice to see larger crowds than what there have been. A lot of factors have gone into their low attendance and with their razor thin margins at the moment, we (I?) can only hope that the attendance improves enough to at least build the next ride they have planned. 

Steel Taipan is great but if Dreamworld can't get the attendance and ROI, it alone is not enough to save the park from their current situation. 

7 minutes ago, Rivals said:

- heard from same staff member Buzzsaw’s building will be staying for the long term future as it is in good condition and will be used for events in the future.

Let's cram people into this small wooden shed for an event? I really hope this is just an idea and not a locked in plan.

23 minutes ago, themagician said:

How was the wait for Steel Taipan?

the line was filled up most of the day but due to how fast they were getting the trains out (by the time the second train stopped on the breaks the other one was going) it ended up being 15-20. looked a longer then it actually was which was a good thing. by the end of the day it was walk on really with still 2 train operations. 

• Love it! 1

2 hours ago, TaipanLover said:

Let's cram people into this small wooden shed for an event? I really hope this is just an idea and not a locked in plan.

By using it for an event i mean like placing stuff in their such as food options or other activities based around the theme of the event (example; moving barnyard buddies into the old buzzsaw queue space or a new food area opened for special events such as old trolls precinct) 

From what i know it isn’t locked into place yet but they see use in the building as it’s in great condition and don’t see the point of removing it as of now

Edited by Rivals

7 hours ago, OgreMagic said:

Was the Nocturnal House open?

it was open but there sadly wasn’t any Tasmanian devils in there (i didn’t even know the nocturnal house existed so to me it appeared to all be open) 

Speaking on the corroboree, it appears they have changed the name to Native Wildlife, yesterday i did notice some signs saying native wildlife but i didn’t think anything of it till i checked the website

https://www.dreamworld.com.au/rides-attractions/wildlife/native-wildlife/

14 hours ago, Rivals said:

Speaking on the corroboree, it appears they have changed the name to Native Wildlife, yesterday i did notice some signs saying native wildlife but i didn’t think anything of it till i checked the website

Present day leadership did not see any value in the indigenous program and are only interested in the most profitable animals. This is why Corroboree is no more (the team were made redundant or forced in to other departments) and only key animals are left.

On 29/12/21 at 7:41 PM, Rivals said:

From what i know it isn’t locked into place yet but they see use in the building as it’s in great condition and don’t see the point of removing it as of now

This is a great idea. I find the best first impression you can make is to hide your new ride's launch with a closed ride's abandoned building that was once part of the area that caused an international incident.

Edited by Slick

On 29/12/2021 at 6:48 PM, Rivals said:

The park as a whole had an overall amazing vibe today, the only negative was getting off Taipan and hearing a group of Gp’s saying they prefer the Gold Coaster🥲

Thats what happens when you take most of the good high up operations supervisors from Village and put them at Dreamworld. Glad that the park has a competent team running the operations department finally. And it's really starting to show with their operations and staff morale as well.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Thats what happens when you take most of the good high up operations supervisors from Village and put them at Dreamworld. Glad that the park has a competent team running the operations department finally. And it's really starting to show with their operations and staff morale as well.

Staff at Dreamworld are currently treated worse than ever.

1 minute ago, Evie said:

Staff at Dreamworld are currently treated worse than ever.

my staff member friends rave about working there and how much they love the work environment, so no clue where you’ll be hearing that from. you’ll probably find the people who are saying they’re treated bad are the ones that are rude to their fellow co-workers and management, i know there is a couple of them ;) 

45 minutes ago, Spotty said:

And it was the best thing that could have happened for DW. When Greg moved, followed by other staff/management members of VRTP, DW has changed dramatically and has become a much better park. Still a lot of work to be done, but I think it’s on the right track. Unfortunately VRTP seems to have taken a bit because of that (their ride operations being one of them)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

And it's really starting to show with their operations and staff morale as well.

45 minutes ago, Rivals said:

my staff member friends rave about working there and how much they love the work environment

31 minutes ago, themagician said:

DW has changed dramatically and has become a much better park. Still a lot of work to be done, but I think it’s on the right track. Unfortunately VRTP seems to have taken a bit because of that (their ride operations being one of them)

977915218_ScreenShot2022-01-03at3_52_27pm.thumb.jpg.d314eca30314a255a91420a2bbbdfed1.jpg

51 minutes ago, Rivals said:

you’ll probably find the people who are saying they’re treated bad are the ones that are rude to their fellow co-workers and management, i know there is a couple of them ;) 

This response to worker opinions from management that are contrary to management's own opinions are how you end up with an international incident.

To all enthusiasts: just because a CEO gave you the time of day, let you see a ride before it opened or says they have grand plans does not make them a successful CEO. If that were true, Bruce Jenkins would be Dreamworld's best CEO. It is common to see here in Australia and in North America that theme park fans often confuse pleasantries and performance as the same thing and worship the ground management walk on.

Prior management tried to re-commission the mine ride. New management closed down the old money pit maintenance heavy rides and built a new, kick-ass, coaster. It's not massive but it's a big improvement from the way it has been forgotten run for the last 10 years. Doesn't mean it still can't end up as the Dreamworld Parkway Housing Estate in years to come but it's a step in the right direction.

2 hours ago, themagician said:

you can’t deny the park has improved greatly in recent years

You really can deny this. It's quantifiable and provable,and it's not an old management v new management thing. It's been going down hill for years, and that didn't stop in 2021. ST might be their best ride ever, but the park really sucks right now. Now there's an argument about declines last year being inevitable and nessicary so you can give them a pass but to ignore it entirely and say how much it's improved seems like a combination between wishful thinking and data omission. The park didn't get better when they shortened the train route. The park didn't get better when they closed a bunch of smaller attractions during the year. The park didn't get better when they removed Buzzsaw. The park isn't better because of some temporary entertainment options. Closing White Water World 5 days a week didn't male the place better.

I'll pay the whole thing of in order for a forest to grow anew you need a bush fire now and then, and I'll totally give you the idea that basically what's happened at DW recently can be compared to a deliberate purging bush fire - a clear out so the place can grow back (hopefully) better. But you don't look at a freshly blackened landscape and say 'You can't deny this is better'.

FWIW, for those who think it's a company thing, I think SW declined, WnW got better (but still off it's peak) and MW stayed pretty much flat, and despite critism for presentation, Luna Park Sydney improved massively.

• Like 5

After attending dreamworld 3 times this passed week (finally got some time off work 🤣), I can say it is a good park.. but still far from a great park.

ST & SV are the standouts for me. Maybe it’s because they are the newest attractions, but they just offer so much more vs the older rides.

Other than rides, I feel like there needs to be better themed music (and louder) in different areas. Ocean parade is just filled with house music & it just feels out of place. There’s nothing like a good score, accompanied by a themed land that makes you feel immersed in the area. E.G. Walking down Main Street at Movieworld with “Hooray for Hollywood” playing. 

As for Greg, I’ve seen him everyday I was there, he is putting in the effort and hats off to him. Even out the front in the morning greeting guests, helping with QR scanning. There really is only so much one man can do, and if he keeps dreamworld the way it’s heading, I have no doubt it will turn into a great park. 

• Like 4