Weight restriction Gold Coast theme parks

Megan

Village roadshow parks are overall going to be more forgiving than Dreamworld.

Most of the Dreamworld issues come down to the fact that the seatbelts (supplemental restraints) are shorter than they used to be.

Giant drop will be touch-and-go, based on EXACTLY where you carry the weight around your hips. Operators on GD are good at helping you get it tighter if needed, but if that seatbelt won't go in, you can't ride.

If Giant drop is a close fit, don't even bother with The Claw. The seatbelts are WAY shorter than GD, and despite the harnesses locking in on much larger folk, if the seatbelt doesn't reach, you won't ride. Escape from Madagascar is in between Claw and Giant Drop, so if you can do Claw, EFM is fine. If GD is a struggle, be prepared for EFM to be tougher still. I've had no issues with anything else at Dreamworld, but i've not ridden Shockwave since the bondage harnesses went in, and i've never done Panda. Sky Voyager is quite accommodating.

As for Movie World - If you make it on Giant Drop, Pretty much everything at Movie World will be fine. Rivals is the closest you'll come to not fitting - and again, the operators are good at helping you fit in if it is close. Scooby is the only other potential issue. The lapbar has several clicks before it locks. The front seat has more leg room. If you carry it in the tummy, lift it upand let the lapbar go under it so it presses on your legs, not the stomach. You'll know when you're all locked in because all the white lights on the operator's console will stop flashing and just be steady white lights. Operators will, again, do everything they can to get you to fit. They know all the tricks, they'll try all they can, and they're very discreet if you can't lock in.

Don't be embarrassed if you don't fit. I'm a bit taller and a bit heavier than you, and Claw is the only thing i've not been able to ride. So try everything, let the operators help get you stapled in if you need it, and enjoy what you can!

• Love it! 1

I used to be around 125kg, and I only had a couple of issues. 

If youre stressed about it just pop into the test seats where available to try yourself before getting onto the station, but usually the ops are quite nice and handle it everyday. 

MW:

Rivals on a few encounters the ops didn't get the green light but after a couple of pushes down on my lap bar they got the all good. 

Scooby Doo I always had issues in the front seat especially being quite tall aswell, but no issues in the back seats so I just started requesting them to avoid embarrassment of having to switch. 

DW:

Only had an issue with Claw restraint not closing, I think the op probably couldve pushed it down to get it to lock, but I decided to just bail before they came around as it was quiet. 

MDMC is uncomfortable, but its always uncomfortable no matter your weight, but I still fit. 

On 13/12/2020 at 12:20 PM, AlexB said:

Village roadshow parks are overall going to be more forgiving than Dreamworld.

Most of the Dreamworld issues come down to the fact that the seatbelts (supplemental restraints) are shorter than they used to be.

Giant drop will be touch-and-go, based on EXACTLY where you carry the weight around your hips. Operators on GD are good at helping you get it tighter if needed, but if that seatbelt won't go in, you can't ride.

If Giant drop is a close fit, don't even bother with The Claw. The seatbelts are WAY shorter than GD, and despite the harnesses locking in on much larger folk, if the seatbelt doesn't reach, you won't ride. Escape from Madagascar is in between Claw and Giant Drop, so if you can do Claw, EFM is fine. If GD is a struggle, be prepared for EFM to be tougher still. I've had no issues with anything else at Dreamworld, but i've not ridden Shockwave since the bondage harnesses went in, and i've never done Panda. Sky Voyager is quite accommodating.

As for Movie World - If you make it on Giant Drop, Pretty much everything at Movie World will be fine. Rivals is the closest you'll come to not fitting - and again, the operators are good at helping you fit in if it is close. Scooby is the only other potential issue. The lapbar has several clicks before it locks. The front seat has more leg room. If you carry it in the tummy, lift it upand let the lapbar go under it so it presses on your legs, not the stomach. You'll know when you're all locked in because all the white lights on the operator's console will stop flashing and just be steady white lights. Operators will, again, do everything they can to get you to fit. They know all the tricks, they'll try all they can, and they're very discreet if you can't lock in.

Don't be embarrassed if you don't fit. I'm a bit taller and a bit heavier than you, and Claw is the only thing i've not been able to ride. So try everything, let the operators help get you stapled in if you need it, and enjoy what you can!

As an ex operator on Scooby I beg to differ, we always told larger guests and taller guests to sit in the back row as it actually does have more leg room than the front as your legs can slide under the seat in front of you. AFAIK they have actually lowered the tolerance on Scooby in the last few years as I know some people who are exactly the same size / build who could easily ride back around 2014 and now they suddenly can't ride at all. I also have a sneaking suspicion Rivals has also had their tolerances tweaked a little bit as well but not sure. 

1 hour ago, Jdude95 said:

As someone who is 6'2, back seat of Scooby is lovely and any seat on Escape from Madagascar will kill your shoulders

I'm 6ft 1 and my shoulders say a big fat NOPE to Escape from Madagascar, same for the Giant Drop and The Claw... I can't do the seatbelt up due to my shoulders, the harness doesn't even end up touching my stomach! The old seatbelts they had a few years ago (Before the rapids incident) would do up just fine but now... not happening. Would love to see the Giant Drop get a refit down the track with the new gondola's and seats like Doomsday as the seatbelts on them are plenty long enough. The Claw would be a nice refit as well, but I don't ever see that one happening.

13 hours ago, Spotty said:

As an ex operator on Scooby I beg to differ, we always told larger guests and taller guests to sit in the back row as it actually does have more leg room than the front as your legs can slide under the seat in front of you. AFAIK they have actually lowered the tolerance on Scooby in the last few years as I know some people who are exactly the same size / build who could easily ride back around 2014 and now they suddenly can't ride at all. I also have a sneaking suspicion Rivals has also had their tolerances tweaked a little bit as well but not sure. 

Thanks for chiming in Spotty. You are right. I knew one row was better than the other, but my most recent ride on Scoob was in the front, and my mind naturally went to 'that one must be the bigger space'.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I’d say on a quieter day where they aren’t filling every gondola, if someone were just over the weight limit, it would be okay. Or even if there were some kids on the ride with larger adults. But if everyone on the gondola is almost at or over the weight limit, then there would be an issue 

On 10/12/2021 at 1:08 PM, MWgirl247365 said:

Sky voyager has a weight limit now 

I wonder how that works out with making sure larger people are under the limit?

Can confirm SV has had a weight limit on it's signage since opening day. I have not ever seen anyone being asked to stand on scales though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWgirl247365 said:

Well the first time I saw a weight limit online was when dreamworld reopened last year after the pandemic 

Perhaps you just need to be more observant?

It was even on the Dreamworld website in March 2020 - Prior to the pandemic closures:
(this is the most recent wayback machine update after the ride opened).

image.thumb.png.acf4fd906275ec34aa704a183fff6beb.png

• 3 months later...
On 13/12/2020 at 11:51 AM, Megan said:

Hi. I am 173cm tall and weigh 120kg. I hold a lot of my weight in my stomach. Can anyone around the same size let me know how they went fitting into the rides at Dreamworld and also Movieworld. Thanks 

How did you go?? 

• 3 months later...

I went to Movie World yesterday and thought I’d share my experience for others who might be stressing before they go (like I was).

I am about 173cm, 110kg, about a size 18 in clothes. Waist 114cm and hips 128cm. 
I fit into every ride I went on, but a few were a bit squishy. 

Doomsday destroyer - this one was the tightest fit, a lot of pressure around the chest area, not very comfortable but there seemed to still be some slack in the seat belt. 

Green lantern - this one had a lap seat belt (like a car) that you put before the harness comes down, this was quite tight maybe only a cm or two bigger and it wouldn’t close. Not sure if this would stop the ride. The actual harness was fine. 

Super man escape, DC rivals, Wild West falls were all totally fine. 

I didn’t really see anyone bigger than me on the rides but I think you could fit. The staff were all really nice too. 

• Like 1