Big Banana plans $50 million dollar expansion over the next 20 years

Jobe

13 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Think it’s essential with the bypass going in for The Big Banana to market itself as a stand-alone destination rather than just a place to stop for a drink and photo between Sydney and the GC, and this goes along way to doing it.

hope it comes to fruition 

Agree 100% here. What is extremely gratifying is that, despite the pandemic, the level of local investment in the industry in Australia is so healthy right now. When you look at the big investments on the Gold Coast with SeaWorld and Dreamworld plus the Aussie World expansion, the $30 million dollar LPS investment that came right out of left field, the earlier Jamberoo additions and now this announcement, its great to see our amusement industry bouncing back from what has been a frightful year. 

All we need now is a major announcement for Luna Park Melbourne, for the Melbourne trio of parks of Funfields, Gumbayuh World and Adventure Park plus another announcement for Adventure World in Perth to really shake the foundations! And the way things are progressing in the current landscape, it would not be unfeasible to think that one of these parks will also add to the growing list of parks in Australia with major expansion plans. Good for amusement parks Australia, good for confidence within the industry and good continued overses recognition , of which, thanks to the Dreamworld/SeaWorld/LPS announcements, has never been higher.

Who knows what the next 12 months will bring for the amusement park industry of Australia?

• Love it! 2

Small update on the expansion plans for the Big Banana. There has been another article in the Coffs Coast Advocate and its affiliate papers,but unfortunately it is behind a paywall at this stage. When I can get access to the article I will post it here.

However, the little snippet that we can see shows that the new raft ride will be open and built by as early as October this year. There are also the first pictures which accompany the article and they show the graphic for the new slides to be installed next to the existing slide tower. And more importantly, we have confirmation that the Plantation Coaster will indeed be Australia's first installation of an Alpine Coaster- which by itself is quite exciting.

The accompanying pictures with the article are attached below:

image.thumb.png.13625e57bf06e24a0539f97138963108.png

Great to see this project powering ahead!!

1 hour ago, Jobe said:

Small update on the expansion plans for the Big Banana. There has been another article in the Coffs Coast Advocate and its affiliate papers,but unfortunately it is behind a paywall at this stage. When I can get access to the article I will post it here.

However, the little snippet that we can see shows that the new raft ride will be open and built by as early as October this year. There are also the first pictures which accompany the article and they show the graphic for the new slides to be installed next to the existing slide tower. And more importantly, we have confirmation that the Plantation Coaster will indeed be Australia's first installation of an Alpine Coaster- which by itself is quite exciting.

The accompanying pictures with the article are attached below:

image.thumb.png.13625e57bf06e24a0539f97138963108.png

Great to see this project powering ahead!!

Alpine Coaster 1 looks too intense for me!

Greg B.

• Like 1

Here's an overlay of the expansion onto the current park.

The long term water park is looking much bigger, but will have that dry racing slide in the old ski slope right in the way in the middle.

The dual raft slide looks a bit meh though. They already have a raft slide, and this appears to have a very similar layout / usual Polin thing of too many helices....I would have preferred something like outback splash at least with a Boomerango type thing (or others) to add more variety.

On the masterplan at Dot (3), you can spot they've just traced the River Rapids and the old Terror Canyons at WnW and mirrored them.

The Alpine coaster appears to have two lifts, which is probably a necessity given how ridiculously short the current toboggan is.

bigbananaexpansion.jpg

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here is a little bit of vision from the Big Banana expansion from earlier in the year. Its a great interview with the operator of the Big Banana and includes some excellent historic photos of the Big Banana from years gone by.

https://www.nbnnews.com.au/2020/12/23/50-million-plan-revealed-for-big-banan

https://www.facebook.com/Prime7NewsNorthCoast/videos/434928240877888/

Edited by Jobe
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

The next part of the expansion to the Big Banana waterpark has been lodged for a DA with the Coffs Coast council.

The addition of a new Kids area and new tower complex with dueling raft slides will be a welcome addition to the small waterpark.

The full article can be read HERE

New Waterslides And Children’s Play Area Proposed For Big Banana

by News Of The Area - Modern Media - May 7, 2021
SHARES

NEWS_Big-Banana-DA_ED_PY.jpg A new children’s Water Play Area (middle) and Duelling Raft Slide (far right) is proposed for the Big Banana Waterpark. Photo: Coffs Harbour City Council.

A PROPOSED $2 million expansion of the Big Banana Water Park encompassing a Duelling Raft Slide and a new children’s Wet Play Area has been lodged with Coffs Harbour City Council.

The development application for a Recreation Facility (Outdoor) – Duelling Raft Slide and Water Play Area (extension to existing Waterpark) at a cost of $2,024,000 was lodged with Council on 15 April.

The plans form Stage 2 of the development of the Big Banana Waterpark.

The proposed Wet Play Area will be located where the current inflatable slides for young children are in the existing waterpark, and the new Duelling Raft Slide will be positioned on the far right of the waterpark beside an existing waterslide, allowing both areas to be extended.

The new Children’s Pool/Water Play area will comprise a waterslide platform, mini waterslide, three mushroom rain trees, racer slide, four tipping cones, animal slide, two water cannons, and a splash pool.

The Duelling Raft Slide will feature two slides side by side allowing waterpark visitors to race each other simultaneously down both slides.

The proposed development is envisioned to complement the waterpark’s existing waterslides and water play areas currently operating within the site and strengthen the Big Banana as a premier tourist and visitor attraction for Coffs Harbour.

The development is anticipated to create additional employment opportunities during the establishment and construction phases and increase recreational opportunities for visitors to the area and the local community.

The hours of operation are proposed to remain the same from 9am to 6pm seven days a week.

Below shows an overview of the new tower and duelling slides. This forms part of the expansion plans that were announced in December last year. The addition of the Plantation Alpine Coaster should be lodged as a DA by early next year.

c85eb5fc621a7514514846abd211cc6b

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Ground has broken on the new additions to the Big Banana’s waterpark expansion.

It also appears that work has started on the Plantation Coaster - Australia’s first ever Alpine coaster installation.

This is great news and it would not be unreasonable to see a late January opening for the new slide complex and kids play area at the water park.

The Alpine Coaster is due sometime next year.

3C0CA42F-7CE3-43FB-91DF-FFAC08C22949.jpeg

1E06C99C-B8F8-4D69-A24C-697813C3C1CC.jpeg

05064730-C7DA-4BD5-8A0C-FC6B5F1B628B.jpeg

0A15DCFE-192A-4456-886E-A777629114CA.jpeg

CF74CB30-18D4-488F-B454-5E146876E34A.jpeg

E9FA19D1-4F19-4989-A011-56F59136BE6A.jpeg

• Like 3

Good they have started groundwork, I was expecting this to be "any time in the next 10 years"

I'm happy that we are getting an Alpine Coaster down under, and with Coffs now around 3 hours from the GC I'll definitely pop down to check it out one weekend, but don't necessarily expect it to set your world alight.

2 hours ago, Gazza said:

don't necessarily expect it to set your world alight.

Honestly the toboggan is a bit underwhelming as it is - probably the most boring Toboggan\Luge style attraction i've ever done... Hopefully the alpine will allow them to have some elevated sections, but overall, the hill isn't that big to start with.

Hopefully it inspires some other operators in the country to buy into it though.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Quick update since I was in Coffs for work.

The Zamperla Demolition Derby is completed and appears to now be open. It’s a well presented little ride- if a little odd as a stand-alone attraction.

However the new slide structure building seems to have stalled- there does not appear to be much progress to have been made since Gaza’s visit.

I am sure the park are still hopeful of a Summer opening - possibly Xmas- and this date is still achievable, however they will need to pull their finger out.

Also no sign of any work on the planned Alpine Coaster as of yet , unfortunately.98FE2505-CD52-4997-B14D-336088F1D9ED.thumb.jpeg.47bd93f56488160ab96beb1957317d2d.jpeg30E7571F-C834-4446-A2EA-782062D6FAAC.thumb.jpeg.35a595d11d9bfd957949c1172c815c2e.jpeg5F3D2F77-E919-49E2-8984-130AF5C3FF77.thumb.jpeg.b2c65fec27252ec9ff8f6eadf0a33e9a.jpeg

60E464B6-0C67-44B9-B611-9001FD95033D.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Gazza said:

Wait I'm suffering from Nelson Mandella syndrome. I could have sworn the last round of photos had some slide parts up.

Looks like they just haven't done anything since January.

Was coming here to post this. Your correction is 💯 right. I actually visited  the site last Wednesday . Was going to remark that nothing had progressed further beyond the supports being installed.

No slide pieces have been installed or removed at this stage.

However, the slide pieces that you saw were not there on Wednesday, so must have arrived either the Thursday or the Friday when you visited.

The park is certainly taking its time getting this expansion ready but I guess Covid has knocked its expansion timeline on its head. Hopefully we will see the Alpine Coaster start by next year. 

On 28/12/2020 at 5:44 PM, Jobe said:

With the rush of Christmas and other announcements , this one flew under the radar.

The Big Banana in Coffs Harbour has revealed plans for a $50 million dollar expansion to be timelined over the next 20 years.

The article states;

Another article regarding the expansion is here:

This is fantastic news for the Mid North Coast destination and shows particular faith in the region by the developer and owner, especially since the Coffs Centre is due to be bypassed and completed by 2024.

The attractions that are laid out here add to the already existing attractions. Of particular importance here is of course the Water Park expansion- which is sorely needed. This will add to an already extremely popular attraction and in my personal opinion , should be the main thrust of the park in regards to any expansion.

The Plantation Roller Coaster I suspect ( and fingers crossed) will most likely be Australia's first Alpine coaster installation. If this proves to be correct then this will certainly lift the status of the park to a must do destination for those travelling between Sydney and the Gold Coast. Coupled with its already exisiting Toboggan slide , this will add a good variety of attractions for the entire family and will certainly warrant a visit on the way up or down from the Gold Coast or even for a getaway by itself. The Coffs Region has plenty of natural beauty and interests to offer ( such as White Water Rafting on the nearby Nymboida River) and will stand on its own in the amusement park landscape of Australia. Looking forward to hearing and seeing these plans in greater depth and as they unfold.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7067929/big-banana-20-year-master-plan-revealed-as-canberra-based-owners-receive-50m-investment/#:~:text=brewery and restaurant.-,Beyond 202

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/20-year-expansion-plan-announced-for-coffs-harbours-the-big-banana/

Oooh I’ll have to ask my uncle about the water park expansion! 
He is based here and works for Swimplex who created the waterpark in the first place so my cousins and I were the first to get to test it all out!

It will be so great to see some massive improvements out there! I remember the tour when I was young on the tram they had, and as you passed the billabong, a big Bunyip would rise out. I wish that had never gone out of action, it was such a fun experience!!

• Like 1