16 July Sydney TR

i cam back this arvo from luna park today, and boy what a day it was. The place was packed out i mean it was very hrad to walk around. It took 30 minutes to get out tickets just to start going on the rides. It was great to see that they are doing really well but an extra 2 rides did not make a difference. We queued over an hour for the wild mouse which was great but not worth the wait, the line went past the stairs down the bottom and had a long queue past the cafe'. Coney island lets say is caustrophobic. The slides were quick and easy to get on but with very long queues, the joy wheel is extremely long. The ranger area at the back wasnt so busy so it was quivk and easy to get on the rides there perhaps people were unaware that you can go around behind coney island. The rotor was too long to wait for so i didnt bother going on. The tango train pulled large queues but it was a quick ride and it has a large capacity, same with the tumblebug. There is no queue for the U.F.O what so ever. So that was the quickest ride of the day. Everything else was alright it was just too packed, i think more permanant rides like the zipper will do. IM very disappointed with what they did at the back of the park with the ranger and spider. Its very boring and its not really set out properly. I think that area lacks looks and teh rides look very cheap. IF i owned luna park the first ride i would remove would be the spider becasue its a shocking version of the breakdance ride. The place makes thousnads upon thousands of dollars on food sales. $3.50 for a bottle of water. $3.50 for a sno cone in a plastic cup. $5.00 a hot dog $6.50 a mini pizza which is 1 slice of a standard pizza $6.00-$7.00 for a burger depending on the type of burger $4.50 a meat pie $1.50 extra for potato and gravy on top $3.50 for hot chips and the cheapest deal there was $6.00 for 6 nuggets and chips in a box which was alright but a bit stingy for my liking. There are no meal deals so that was crap and there was no other cheaper food outlets out of the park, so the place was literaaly packed out of the food joint. When my mum ordered the food the guy cooking at the back threw his apron and hat on the floor and left. The people at the cashier were so pissed it was so funny. Many workers were annoyed throughout the day, they all have attitude problems, it certainly needs to be fixed. Last tip, great park, great scenery, great views and great set out with some great rides but the park lacks thrill rides. They are mainly portable carnival style rides which are really boring. So the park should look at placing some new rides thrill rides preferably and actuallly consider placing a coaster somewhere in the park. A simple tower of terror typed ride could work well as it is is fun to ride and takes a small strip of land. Overall it was fun i would rate the park for the day 7/10 (so just above average)

I think Luna Park might be suffering from a bit of overcrowding during the school holidays and obviously that can take its toll on everyone involved. They do have quite a few high capacity rides and features but it doesn't seem to be enough to absorb the masses. The problem is that it is the only attraction of its kind in Sydney and you have not only local residents visiting but people from surrounding areas like Central Coast, Newscastle etc. Luna Park currently has a monopoly over the market which means it doesn't really matter how dodgy their rides are, people will still go anyway (until something else opens up). So the fact is that Aussies seem to love rides and fun parks but we have a severe shortage in NSW at the present time

A simple tower of terror typed ride could work well as it is is fun to ride and takes a small strip of land.
I dont think a TOT type ride would work due to the horrendous noise and it does not really suit LP. It would be better if they buit a coaster with 3 or so inversions in a circumnaveragal layout like BD, and sand filled track for silent operation, and prehaps a DCA style sound tube. But thats just my crazy idea. The food prices sound pretty bad, It would be so much fun opening a takeaway or a fast food franchise just outside the gate across the way with low food prices, and everyone would come to you and you would make a mint off LPS vistors.

Ofcourse it wouldn't. The fact that Wonderland, Sega World, and Fox Backlot are now defunct is probably one of the biggest factors in Luna Park's current success. The park has opened with exactly the same rides as it had it in the failed 1995 version (minus it's star attraction the Big Dipper) and yet appears to be enjoying very high patronage. What other reason could there be?

I reckon that that Shortage wouldn't be as bad if Fox Studio's (Theme Park Section) and Wonderland were still open.
Ofcourse it wouldn't. The fact that Wonderland, Sega World, and Fox Backlot are now defunct is probably one of the biggest factors in Luna Park's current success. The park has opened with exactly the same rides as it had it in the failed 1995 version (minus it's star attraction the Big Dipper) and yet appears to be enjoying very high patronage. What other reason could there be?

An outdoor looper isn't going to work. The coaster itself isn't the whole problem, its the screams. Good on Luna Park for being successful, god knows Sydney needs something. There's seriously a lack of things for people to do in the city if your not into shopping, so more power to them. Tell you what though, its ganna be really interesting to see how they go at Xmas

Well, they could do what they did on California Screamin and put in those "Scream tubes". But id bet they would get some ex carnival coaster before my Idea :rolleyes: As for a lack of things to do, well you could go up centerpoint tower, visit a cinema, visit the aquarium, visit IMAX, take a walk in a park somewhere in the city, do the bridge climb, go to a museum somewhere in the city (theres gotta be one)

Powerhouse Museum, Maritime Museum, Sydney Observatory. There's surely more museums around, but that's what I remember from my last tourist holiday to Sydney, in 1993. I personally think that in terms of city attractions, Sydney is one of the better cities out there. Obviously tourist towns (Gold Coast, Orlando, Anaheim etc.) are jam-packed with junk for the tourists to do, but outside of that, Sydney comes to mind as one of the better cities just for things to do. I personally prefer Melbourne, though it's a little more culture-driven. Brisbane isn't much for tourists (I couldn't think of a better city for locals though). Cyclone really is a silent coaster - the only operating sound it really makes is the wheel covers rattling (and that's only happened since Dreamworld got it) - certainly quieter than most everything currently at Luna Park. Outside of noise-reduction systems installed on the trains (sounds like some fun to install, and nice and pricey... I like it), there's not much that can be done that doesn't involve inclosing the track. I believe I've mentioned it here before, but that was some time ago. I'd love to see an Intamin megacoaster in the park. California Screamin' and Xcelerator prove that they can be next to silent to operate. Circumnavigate the park (double it around a la Scenic Railway for some nice length). Where it comes along the cliff-end, enclose or tunnel the track. At the wharf, I'd like to assume that that extra 50m or so does enough to dissipate most of the noise. Intamin lifts are silent, so that normally big problem's also gone. The beauty is, it takes up a fraction of the park - it fits around the Big Top and all current rides and won't use the valuable real estate behind Coney Island. Would an all-expenses paid First-Class-all-the-way trip to Anaheim to hear California Screamin' and Xcelerator in operation for a few of the key anti-Luna Park folks do much to sway them in the right direction? :)

As for a lack of things to do, well you could go up centerpoint tower, visit a cinema, visit the aquarium, visit IMAX, take a walk in a park somewhere in the city, do the bridge climb, go to a museum somewhere in the city (theres gotta be one)
But none of you idiots want to pay to do the Bridge Climb, so scratch that one from your list old son.