Luna park 9 new rides construction

Coasterlife

I'm curious, can someone explain why all these new rides have a 'temporary' look to them? They're all built on metal bases sitting atop concrete pads instead of being bolted down on piers (like other Roller Coasters for example).

Is this just a look LP likes to maintain (like a temporary carnival ride)? Or could it be due to the proximity to the harbour (can't put deep piers in)? Or something else altogther?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, franky said:

Or could it be due to the proximity to the harbour (can't put deep piers in)? Or something else altogther?

I think that would be the case because also if you look at this photo the concrete pavement looks to be less than 5 cm thick, but also in the concept art if you look closely in the second photo they look to have a platform over those areas which would hide Those slabs for boomerang

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 10.31.56 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 10.42.12 pm.png

• Like 3

Awesome photos everyone, does anyone actually have a clue about how tall Big Dipper will be? It says it will be taller, faster and longer than its previous form, but does that refer to the Arrow Big Dipper or the Woodie? Very confused, I assume it will be quite medium height, maybe somewhere between 25-35m tall? What do you guys think??

10 minutes ago, Gtmichaels said:

Awesome photos everyone, does anyone actually have a clue about how tall Big Dipper will be? It says it will be taller, faster and longer than its previous form, but does that refer to the Arrow Big Dipper or the Woodie? Very confused, I assume it will be quite medium height, maybe somewhere between 25-35m tall? What do you guys think??

The max speed of the Big Dipper III is 72 km/h. Big Dipper II went up to 84 km/h. And Big Dipper I went up to 93km/h. Big Dipper I was 16m high. Big Dipper II was 41m high. All that I know about the height of Big Dipper III is that it's all within the strict height, noise, and light restrictions. And will probably be around the height your saying. Around the 28m height.

While I'm here:

Rockin Tug is definately staying. It was given from Joylands in return for the HUSS rides.

I can confirm all the Height Restrictions for the new rides. The Yellow Catargory now starts at 132cm. Anybody 130 and 131cm are now including in the Green Category.

All of the new rides will accept anybody from the Yellow Catargory. There are no more max heights!

Green Catargory will now be accepted on all of the new rides except for the Big Dipper.

Red Catargory will now be accepted on the following new rides: The Bug, Cloud 9, and Freaky Frogs.

This, and more information on Annual Passes, Luna Perks and more are now available on the Luna Park Website: https://www.lunaparksydney.com/rides-games

Before I go, I want you to check out another video from Yyosh (I know I've mentioned him before, but his 2 videos ever are amazing!). It's LPS shortly after it originally opened in 1935 in living motion! Here it is:

57 minutes ago, Gtmichaels said:

Awesome photos everyone, does anyone actually have a clue about how tall Big Dipper will be?

The image Luna Park posted here shows Big Dipper 2 (41m) was around 1.5 times the size Big Dipper 3 will be so it'd probably be around 27 metres tall.

Screenshot_969.thumb.png.2b951cb9e8acff4f67d2ac1cb581231a.png

11 minutes ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

Before I go, I want you to check out another video from Yyosh (I know I've mentioned him her before, but his her 2 videos ever are amazing!). It's LPS shortly after it originally opened in 1935 in living motion!

I really shouldn't be credited for that ahaha, all I've done is taken clips out of existing media and put them onto my channel. Thanks anyways I guess!?! haha

• Like 1

On 17/04/2021 at 7:12 PM, AheadMatthewawsome said:

Rockin' Tug is definately staying. It was given from Joylands in return for the HUSS rides.

So Rockin' Tug is definitely a permanent ride at Luna Park now, which I have no objection to; it's the perfect kind of family carnival ride suited for such a park. What I do have objections to, is it's current location. Right now the ride is right in between the Hair Raiser and Crystal Palace, which is a very tight area. 

IMG_4680.thumb.jpeg.fb39add2b889ec3c1c48c28bae1eddbd.jpeg

I do not think the ride suits this spot; it looks very ill fitting, it looks cramped - they even took out some fencing on the Hair Raiser queue just so people have a clear space to walk past - and the "hire ride" nature of it just doesn't fit. On top of that, I'm pretty sure having the ride in this spot is in violation of the park's very own conservation management plan. There's one section in the plan that determines where rides can be placed in the park; the spot I've circled is where Rockin' Tug approximately sits: 

382171203_ScreenShot2021-04-18at8_41_23pm.thumb.png.f3c6cb3f2b65111d18576a0fd366cca9.png

It appears the ride sits just outside of the permissible zone. Now there can be interpretations in regards to how "permanent" the Rockin' Tug is but in my view, with the ride now a permanent feature of the park, on top of blocking off open access, I don't think it fits this area at all and it should be relocated to a more suitable spot. Whether they have any room left within Maloney's Corner after the renovations, or they fill in and level the amphitheatre steps next to the Ferris Wheel (which is listed as a ride permissible zone), I feel the ride needs to be moved. And once it is, I think work should be done on it to make it look permanent, to keep consistent with the theming and direction of the park.

So, bit of a long rant, but TL;DR - nice Luna Park has a Rockin' Tug, but it needs to be moved to a better spot and redone. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ranger said:

When do you think Big Dipper and Sledgehammer will be installed?

Sledgehammer will probably be installed soon, as it’s in this first part of Luna Parks makeover (before it opens again in around 60 days). Big Dipper however, according to Luna Park’s website, will be opening December. We can expect the construction to take place during most of the second half of 2021

14 minutes ago, Ranger said:

It's a miracle none of the residents complained about the new area when they got on their high horse about Volare.

I'd like to think they all got suitably slapped down by the most recent court actions, followed by the very publicly voiced ministerial level support.

LPS cocked up Hairraiser, and they were rightfully cooked over that - but the noise about volare was lower key because Brookfield crossed their Ts correctly.

They're probably all very familiar by now with the residents that cause the most ruckus, and I daresay this development was probably shared with them before the public announcement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomiJ said:

Below is a quick tiktok video of the boomerang coaster and a couple of the kiddy rides. 

That video took me 2 minutes to make 😂 

Here's the more descriptive one that i make every week 

Edited by Coasterlife
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I'd like to think they all got suitably slapped down by the most recent court actions, followed by the very publicly voiced ministerial level support.

If there's one thing that Luna Park history has taught us, the person with the most power has the final say. 

Only took them 40 years to figure that one out before trying for inquest round 2

21 hours ago, Ranger said:

When do you think Big Dipper and Sledgehammer will be installed?

Footings for Sledgehammer are already ready to go so expect that flat to be installed in the next couple of weeks. Nothing on the site for Big Dipper has been worked on yet other than a few beams being staged on the old Tumble Bug platform, but it won't be till later in the year work for it starts

864175656_ScreenShot2021-04-19at7_46_01pm.thumb.png.04d5de25b94c2b5df4dedbfb5f96d880.png

19 hours ago, Coasterlife said:

Boomerang testing? Might need a good eye for this 

F97EEBDB-585F-43AC-A723-B7E2F3D09C06.jpeg

I had a check. And it's defiantly not them testing. The vehicles were still wrapped up this morning. I think it's the shadows of the catwalk. But that was very hard to determine because I got to the limit of the pixels. But, the support poles for Sledgehammer arrived. And assembling of Sledgehammer will start this week! There will also be a half spin mode to allow people in the Green Category to go on with an Adult.

• Like 3