Luna park 9 new rides construction

Coasterlife

On 17/07/2021 at 11:49 PM, Noxegon said:

I hate to be that person

No you don't. (I'm going to need Megan to verify your claims here... ;) )

On 17/07/2021 at 11:49 AM, Evelyn said:

Construction on Big Dipper will be paused from Monday

I know this is a huge blow for the construction industry, but in this particular case i'm extraordinarily glad there will be nothing to update on the coaster, and perhaps maybe this will stop folks 'exercising' with their cameras around north sydney.

• Like 2

Sorry to be a little nit picky on the subject here but doesn’t the majority of everyone on exercise have their phones on them? Perhaps to listen to music and other stuff? Surely people don't go there with a massive camera to share these images. 

I sure do take photos on exercise even during this Lockdown. Whilst walking with the kids past luna park on Tuesday i saw multiple people taking photos of the place (couple 10-15 people) at least. If you’re worrying about this you really should be concerned about the protesters elsewhere around Sydney. It’s absolutely insane to me to think that taking photos whist on exercise is worse than not wearing masks or the multiple people that flock to woolies to pick up less than 3 items. the place is busier than it was pre lockdown. That's just how i feel you come across. There’s no hard feelings but i feel like few of you on here are being a little selfish on the whole thing. Again no hard feelings.

• Like 1

Short answer - The folks at woolies aren't here posting about it. The protesters aren't here posting about it.

Long answer - Yes, everyone has their phone when they exercise. The particular issue at hand is that exercise isn't usually done in private carparks. And it's unusual at best to be driving across the harbour to do so. 

While the latest story is 'going with dad for his work related purposes' the original story given was "I was 'exercising' " (yes, the word exercising was in quotes). The implication was quite clearly that it was used as an excuse to visit to take photos rather than being in any way a legitimate reason for being there - and less than a day after responding to comments on social channels about the fact that the rules meant he couldn't visit to take photos. And it is why I used quotes around the word exercise in my post above.

Whether or not Dept Health confirmed no breach of rules, it wasn't in the spirit of them. The NSW Premier has herself called on NSW residents not to look for loopholes and to behave in the spirit of the restrictions rather than find ways around them. Sydney is in its current predicament because:

• The NSW government was hesitant to bring in draconian lockdowns over a small outbreak and relied on the people to voluntarily observe the guidelines they put in place
  • The people took advantage of the lenient and low-detailed guidelines by finding every possible way to do what they wanted remaining within the letter of the guidelines, but clearly outside the spirit of them. (Which, being honest, is human nature).

This is why more than a month on, Sydney is plunged into a lockdown that has no current firm end-date in sight, reporting 100 new cases in the past 24 hours and 1212 active cases,  and meanwhile South Australia reported 3 new cases in the past 24 hours and has a total of 14 active cases has put everyone into a lockdown that is more restricted than the current NSW restriction levels.

• Like 4

I agree it's totally normal to have a phone with you on walks, and it's pretty cool to see these massive pieces of warped steel up high. If you want to take a photo that's perfectly fine, but you don't needa stand there for 5 minutes tryna get a good shot, just take the photo and keep moving. The only reason you should be at the park is for exercise anyways, so standing there is not what you're meant to be doing out there. If you want to go for exercise, you have a mask on and live close, I guess that's ok. Standing and taking pictures, even worse without a mask, is quite obviously not.

Some people will naturally live in the Lavender Bay / Milson's point area and that's fine. 

What's causing the Sydney lockdown to blow out is the fact people are using this 10K rule as an excuse to get out. So many people are travelling up to 8K away from home this community transmission. Three of Sydney's largest LGA’s are shut down anyway. 

I don't have the issue of locals taking pictures at LPS at all, I assumed they would because the skyline has changed forever and they would be worried about property value as all rich people would be. 

The comment about the protestors in Sydney. Sigh, this does indeed suck but living near the CBD you are not in a lockdown within a lockdown. Almost 1,000,000 residents are trapped and with nowhere to go. Some are sitting on boundary lines and are in a worse situation. Sydney is divided currently and it's not great. The working-class suburbs are locked out of Sydney while the rich suburbs enjoy coffee at a crowded manly beach. 

I could play the blame game but there is no point. Essentially we must all get through this together. The size of one's house or religious views or vaccination views cannot be put first. We gotta all do the right thing. Cause currently, we ain't getting out of this mess for some time. 

I do indeed look forward however to when LPS opens back. I won't rush in straight away but it will be nice to have something to look forward to again that won't be the same thing we've been a custom to since 2004.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, New display name said:

Lucky for you I am a good friend and have toilet paper left over from the last lockdown that you can use you wipe your mouth.

Congratulations on the first public post in 14 months. Welcome back. 

I don't need your toilet paper - there's plenty of people that can kiss my arse. ;)

Ah ok yeah that makes a little more sense. I think we should try and bring the chat back to its roots since it has gotten too much Covid this Covid that and you will likely agree that we have had enough of covid by now 😂

So do we think that some of these new rides might bring in noise restrictions and will be required to close earlier in the afternoon? 

4 minutes ago, DJKostya said:

So excuse my ignorance but the metal frame that the red supports are attached to, will this be covered up by something or will it remain open like it currently is once the ride is finished?

If you go hunting for photos of Boomerang during construction you will see it had the same ground based support work. They have since covered that up. One can assume the same will occur for BD 3.0

But they might choose not to however, it is up to them. For instance wild mouse does not have much of its ground based support work covered up.

46 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Congratulations on the first public post in 14 months. Welcome back. 

I don't need your toilet paper - there's plenty of people that can kiss my arse. ;)

Kim Kardashian getting divorced, Prince Philip dies and I can't even get a f^&ken "arousement" out of you.   This year just gets better.

I can't believe it.  ALEX TO THE B has gone soft.     Maybe when your wife forced you to change your name to DaptoNotFunGuy she took your manhood too.

7 minutes ago, StingRay said:

If you go hunting for photos of Boomerang during construction you will see it had the same ground based support work. They have since covered that up. One can assume the same will occur for BD 3.0

But they might choose not to however, it is up to them. For instance wild mouse does not have much of its ground based support work covered up.

It's still pretty interesting to see coaster supports bolted to a metal frame instead of being embedded in the ground. It also keeps the "travelling carnival" feel of Luna Park too so it would fit well. 

1 hour ago, DJKostya said:

So excuse my ignorance but the metal frame that the red supports are attached to, will this be covered up by something or will it remain open like it currently is once the ride is finished?

Depends on their choice....Formlue at Drievliet has an exposed base frame.

https://www.parkz.com.au/photo/16765-Formule_X/gallery/sort/newest/location/drievliet/offset/23

15 hours ago, Evelyn said:

So do we think that some of these new rides might bring in noise restrictions and will be required to close earlier in the afternoon? 

I think this kind of issue has been well and truly put to bed. LPS has operating guidelines that are now entrenched in legislation and other government approved documents. They know what they can and can't do - and it's highly unlikely that they would have any further noise or time restrictions placed on them as a result.

15 hours ago, New display name said:

I can't even get a f^&ken "arousement" out of you.

Seems you forgot how to English without your daily forum exercises. It'll come.

Slightly off topic (and may be a really stupid question), but the video of the Big Dipper brought it to my mind, and it's really not worth starting a new thread about...

When they ship over the parts for roller coasters (or any ride I guess), do they also ship over the fasteners, or would they be sourced locally?

I imagine there's a lot of bolts and associated bits and pieces that would be fairly standard, so from that POV it would make sense to source them locally and save literally thousands of dollars in shipping costs. But I can also see where the manufacturer would prefer to send them over so they know that the right ones are being used, and likely have their own quality control procedures.

I guess it was the series of things that looked like boxes in the video that triggered this. They obviously aren't large enough to hold any structural pieces, so I guess a secondary question would be "what's in the box?".

Often fasteners are specifically excluded from the contract and the buyer must source ones of the correct spec. (Or the manufacturer might include them as an optional extra cost)

The manufacturer is inspecting the ride anyway so there shouldn't be issues of the wrong ones being used.

Fun Fact: When you buy a water slide they don't come with supports.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gazza said:

Often fasteners are specifically excluded from the contract and the buyer must source ones of the correct spec. (Or the manufacturer might include them as an optional extra cost)

The manufacturer is inspecting the ride anyway so there shouldn't be issues of the wrong ones being used.

Fun Fact: When you buy a water slide they don't come with supports.

Okay kids, check out our newest ride, the flat slide! It's 5cm of water that you walk through. 

Given that Big Dipper is moving ahead so quickly, and that everything that has been put in place so far has virtually mirrored the concept artwork initially shown, who is betting that Big Dippers train and cars will be exactly what has been already shown? The cars and trains on the animation looked exactly like the generic trains from the Hot Racer concept videos from Intamin when they were released. Do we think that the trains will be generic or do you think that there will be some local and unique theming added to make them Luna Park specific?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jobe said:

Given that Big Dipper is moving ahead so quickly, and that everything that has been put in place so far has virtually mirrored the concept artwork initially shown, who is betting that Big Dippers train and cars will be exactly what has been already shown? The cars and trains on the animation looked exactly like the generic trains from the Hot Racer concept videos from Intamin when they were released. Do we think that the trains will be generic or do you think that there will be some local and unique theming added to make them Luna Park specific?

Provided that literally nothing has been changed externally to Boomerang's ride vehicles other than some decals I'm going to say it'll be the same deal for Big Dipper. Maybe a decal or two on the lead car, but nothing much else. Hopefully Intamin have a generic version of the ride vehicle with an alternative wheel bogie cover because I would say with the one seen in the animations looks quite dumb and out of place for LPS.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jobe said:

I am only guessing here, but it would not surprise me if they are just the racing trains. But in saying that I hope they have custom trains that compliment the previous two Big Dipper's? As that would be cool and would make it unique and stylish. So I have no idea what the trains will look like, but I hope there is something unique to them. The other possibility is maybe they might display the two former Big Dipper carriages near the ride entrance? So the wooden carriage and the arrow carriage if they were given one from Dreamworld? Or they might have been scrapped completely? I hope as well the line will be interesting, so by that I mean Big Dipper theming, maybe photographs of the previous two coasters? Or something that makes the line exciting. So yeah glad you brought the trains up because it will be interesting to see what happens.

But the other thing to mention is the building pause due to lockdown. Yes the coaster is not far from completion, but the pause in construction could delay the opening, but I don't know, hopefully it resumes in August? 

But please respond, I want to hear what others have to say about this topic? 

Edited by Jim