Luna park 9 new rides construction

Coasterlife

9 hours ago, BringADecentParkToSydney said:

That was not how I was expecting the train to be themed. Maybe it’s yet to receive a paint job?

They wouldn’t do cosmetic works to the train while on the track. All that would’ve been done in the factory. That is what the train will look like 

Just now, MrLukeCarroll said:

My worries were we would just get the generic trains, those worries turned out to be true...

It doesn't really make sense to have a racing/car-themed coaster in your 1920's Boardwalk Theme Park, especially when the queue enters through a Taj-Mahal inspired structure.

Agreed. What would you like to see instead?

3 minutes ago, Slick said:

Two trains looking slightly different. One pays homage to the original big dipper, old school looking and yellow while the second train is red and pays respect to the Arrow coaster. Plain and is one would have been nice. 

If I wanted a car I would drive a dodgem car. 

Being the prototype tho they most likely had no choice and had to go with these generic trains anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Slick said:

To continue the boardwalk theme you could play on some retro designs of old boardwalk trams. 

Boardwalk Tram (Early 70's) | Boardwalk Tram (Early 70's) Wi… | Flickr

Vintage-Ocean City, Maryland-The Boardwalk Train headed south at the very  congested part of the boardwalk at Worce… | Ocean city maryland, Ocean  city, City pictures

Could even have some silly story around it where the trams have been repurposed to give you the fastest and tallest tour of Sydney's iconic harbour. 

• Like 1

On 23/08/2021 at 12:42 PM, Mc coaster said:

2B032754-27D2-411C-87A7-12B76BFE7512.thumb.jpeg.28fb2fd6978bb75ea7759aa1433d6d0b.jpeg

Hi there, long time reader and first time poster here. 

I'm just wondering there is a new entrance for Big Dipper? Because if I'm not mistaken, the old Tumble Bug entry has a section of the transfer track in its way. Knowing how rowdy Aussie kids, teenagers or even some adults are, they may try to climb onto the track or whatever as a funny joke. 

4 hours ago, New display name said:

LP is a fair and not a theme park.

Yeah I think that is innacurate. Luna Park is definitely not a theme park but moreover is certainly an old school style boardwalk amusement park- as @MrLukeCarroll as already expounded. A fair is simply a collection of travelling and transportable rides which even though LPS has utilised in the past, the majority of attractions are of a permanent nature.

17 hours ago, Baconjack said:

image.thumb.png.7759d3335629e211aca5a937694ffc5d.png

The train is literally full on racing deco. Exhaust pipes, grille and everything. It's like this coaster is in an identity crisis as to what it wants to be themed. Hopefully there's another train that I don't know about because capacity is going to be steaming garbage with just 1 train

There will definitely be 2 trains- given the capacity of 7 riders per train it is common sense to have 2 trains. Since the initial renderings of the trains have proven to be exactly what we get, it appears the 2nd train will be a red example. Whilst I would have preferred to have something uniquely belonging to Luna Park on the trains as theming, I can live with it. They have not promised anything we are not getting- it is what it is. Given the fact that this is a prototype, I think has influenced the generic train design here.

4 hours ago, New display name said:

@MrLukeCarrollprobably because the train could be the standard one that comes with the coaster.  Meaning they would already have moulds for the train.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here.

1 hour ago, Det Panukietprawat said:

Hi there, long time reader and first time poster here. 

I'm just wondering there is a new entrance for Big Dipper? Because if I'm not mistaken, the old Tumble Bug entry has a section of the transfer track in its way. Knowing how rowdy Aussie kids, teenagers or even some adults are, they may try to climb onto the track or whatever as a funny joke. 

The old Tumble Bug entry is essentially the 2nd Big Dipper entrance as it were. The plan is to certainly utilise this fantastic structure again as the entrance to the new Big Dipper. The transfer track covers only half the entrance and the entrance itself has 2 sides- one for exiting and one for gaining entrance. There is plenty of room still to have this as the exit and entrance. Remember from the intial renderings that the queue for the coaster will be in the middle and will be in a spiral design. All the area needs is to ensure that there is room for 2 people to pass each other-one going up and one going down- to facilitate this as the main Dipper entry. It would make no sense to not use this. I guess if this does not occur, an exit stairwell could be located on the other side near Coney Island as a simple exit way but I do not think this will occur.

image.thumb.png.53c392bbab6bfc4d990a6d91081d7415.png

Interestingly I have just gone back and looked at the initial video of the new Big Dipper and it shows a new stairwell which I presume is the exit from the station. This would make sense as it is on the other side of the station meaning you exit to the other side and walk down this newly built platform and stairwell. The transfer track is not shown but this could still fit in here easily behind the transfer track and leaving the main entrance for entry to the ride only. 

image.thumb.png.377cd1893170298427eae573bab96a1d.png

What is not as clear is exactly how riders are meant to get to the inner spiral queue. The intitial launch track is not high enough to walk under until the very edge of the slab so perhaps riders enter the ride from the stairwell and then walk to the very edge, entering underneath the first launch at its highest point and then entering the spiral queue, walking up a short set of stairs to the station, board the ride and exit on the other side , walking down the newly installed platform and stairwell to the midway below.

image.thumb.png.189a9796e589c2e73bb8eccb89f324b7.png

Edited by Jobe

I mean it would make perfect sense for them to use the old Big Dipper station / building ( I think it was used for the queue but I'm not quite sure ) for the ride. It would: 1.) mean one less construction job for the park, 2.) add a nice touch of heritage to the coaster and 3.) make the building actually lead to a Big Dipper rather then a collection of old Huss flat rides. Also, don't trust the simulation as it had a pink / green version of the Sledgehammer. 

On 27/08/2021 at 10:27 AM, Dom said:

To continue the boardwalk theme you could play on some retro designs of old boardwalk trams. 

Boardwalk Tram (Early 70's) | Boardwalk Tram (Early 70's) Wi… | Flickr

Vintage-Ocean City, Maryland-The Boardwalk Train headed south at the very  congested part of the boardwalk at Worce… | Ocean city maryland, Ocean  city, City pictures

Could even have some silly story around it where the trams have been repurposed to give you the fastest and tallest tour of Sydney's iconic harbour. 

It's been done:

4 hours ago, StingRay said:

Some official news from the park's social media. https://www.instagram.com/p/CTLgNRXD_LY/?utm_medium=copy_link

Photo credit Luna Park Sydney 

I'm trying to figure out how the new entry/exit queues are going to work for BD. 

The first photo shows a new train sitting on track right in front of one set of stairs 

CC28E53B-609E-4C05-85BE-1CEE7536E7C2.png

04DF5A04-B093-436B-8FFC-49ADC0C76D3F.jpeg

32 minutes ago, StingRay said:

I'm trying to figure out how the new entry/exit queues are going to work for BD. 

Me too, there doesn't look to be anywhere near the station track-wise that's high enough to walk under, so would they need to construct a foot bridge?

Side question, how would people unable to use stairs access the ride? How was it done when BD2 was there?

7 hours ago, franky said:

Me too, there doesn't look to be anywhere near the station track-wise that's high enough to walk under, so would they need to construct a foot bridge?

Side question, how would people unable to use stairs access the ride? How was it done when BD2 was there?

Hmm same way they do it with WM i suppose? I can’t remember if that’s just stairs though… is there any other way to access the wild mouse without stairs or is that the only way?

9 hours ago, BringADecentParkToSydney said:

Hmm same way they do it with WM i suppose? I can’t remember if that’s just stairs though… is there any other way to access the wild mouse without stairs or is that the only way?

Wild Mouse is only accessible by stairs. Same for Volarè, Rotor, Coney island slides, Coney island Turkey trot, Coney island Wonky Walk.

On 28/08/2021 at 2:37 PM, 19Michael96 said:

I don't think anything in the Big Dipper simulation video is meant to be accurate except for the track layout itself.

Well it has been accurate regarding the layout and the train in every way- I dont see why or how that the queue line represented in the video could not be close to being what we finally get.

On 30/08/2021 at 4:25 PM, franky said:

Yeah as I mused in my post above, given the location of the transfer track, perhaps its conceivable that it  will only being used for the entrance with as the concept video has shown, an exit staircase is constructed. I think you could also be right that a footbridge could be used to reach the main queue line- if so would be a great spot for photos!!

9 hours ago, StingRay said:

Wild Mouse is only accessible by stairs. Same for Volarè, Rotor, Coney island slides, Coney island Turkey trot, Coney island Wonky Walk.

Yeah Luna Park isnt really built for the handicapped in mind- although i think if you contact guest services then certain arrangements can be made.

I have a question for everyone, suppose the single rail coaster had not been invented. What other types of coasters might the new Big Dipper have been? 

E.G. Intamin LSM Launch Coaster?

S&S Worldwide El Loco?

Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster? 

The Gravity Group, LLC Wooden Coaster? 

Or any other types? 

Edited by Jim