Luna park 9 new rides construction

Coasterlife

5 hours ago, Gazza said:

Maybe a free spin? Or that compact "Bucking Bronco" launch coaster seen at Nick Universe in New Jersey.

Or yeah possibly the compact model Eurofighter

Darien Lake sets debut date for the Tantrum, its new roller coaster |  Entertainment | buffalonews.com

Yeah I think those 3 you mentioned above would have been considered or looked at. But they would have had some sort of custom feature added to it or maybe not. But I think as the new Big Dipper has 2 launch systems I imagine the park would have been thinking - look launching is not as noisy and it doesn't take up the footprint of a lift hill, but I don't know I am just guessing. Having said all that I can't wait for the new Big Dipper to open it will be great when lockdown ends to see the new coaster. 

4 hours ago, joz said:

Some custom Vekoma sit down thing maybe?

Yeah a custom vekoma of some sort could have worked, it would have been interesting.

Edited by Jim

21 hours ago, Jim said:

I have a question for everyone, suppose the single rail coaster had not been invented. What other types of coasters might the new Big Dipper have been? 

E.G. Intamin LSM Launch Coaster?

S&S Worldwide El Loco?

Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster? 

The Gravity Group, LLC Wooden Coaster? 

Or any other types? 

20 hours ago, Gazza said:

Maybe a free spin? Or that compact "Bucking Bronco" launch coaster seen at Nick Universe in New Jersey.

Or yeah possibly the compact model Eurofighter

Darien Lake sets debut date for the Tantrum, its new roller coaster |  Entertainment | buffalonews.com

Yeah I have it on good authority that the original plans for the 3rd Big Dipper at Luna Park was going to be a custom designed Gerstlauer Eurofighter. It would have utilised the Tumblebug slab and also ventured out behind Coney and then back again. It would have been , through necessity, a unique layout. There is a POV and animation video of this ride in existence which I have yet to view. The Intamin Hot Racer was selected late in the planning and I guess the reasons for its selection would definitely include noise suppression versus the Eurofighter,which having a chain lift , would be fairly loud. I am sure that a custom Eurofighter at Luna Park would have been a great ride experience but I am pretty chuffed that the park opted for the worlds first and very unique single rail launched coaster.

Many of the rides that eventually made selection have also slightly changed , both in name and theming. The original planning for the rides definitely had greater theming aspects tied in with the 9 new rides and dare I say, in my opinion, superior names. The theming involved , whilst not overly extensive, is definitely a step up from what we are actually getting and hearkens back to the 95 incarnation and the use of bridges. I am thinking that money and expense is what has curtailed these elements back from initial planning and we must not forget that LPS has put in a significant $30 million investment for the 9 rides it is adding. What is being added is appropriate for a boardwalk style amusement park but of course, the theming and added bridges to each ride are certainly sorely missed.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Jobe said:

Yeah I have it on good authority that the original plans for the 3rd Big Dipper at Luna Park was going to be a custom designed Gerstlauer Eurofighter. It would have utilised the Tumblebug slab and also ventured out behind Coney and then back again. It would have been , through necessity, a unique layout. There is a POV and animation video of this ride in existence which I have yet to view. The Intamin Hot Racer was selected late in the planning and I guess the reasons for its selection would definitely include noise suppression versus the Eurofighter,which having a chain lift , would be fairly loud. I am sure that a custom Eurofighter at Luna Park would have been a great ride experience but I am pretty chuffed that the park opted for the worlds first and very unique single rail launched coaster.

Many of the rides that eventually made selection have also slightly changed , both in name and theming. The original planning for the rides definitely had greater theming aspects tied in with the 9 new rides and dare I say, in my opinion, superior names. The theming involved , whilst not overly extensive, is definitely a step up from what we are actually getting and hearkens back to the 95 incarnation and the use of bridges. I am thinking that money and expense is what has curtailed these elements back from initial planning and we must not forget that LPS has put in a significant $30 million investment for the 9 rides it is adding. What is being added is appropriate for a boardwalk style amusement park but of course, the theming and added bridges to each ride are certainly sorely missed.

Thanks for the reply Jobe, I appreciate that. Yeah I am not surprised by the original plan to include a Gerstlauer Eurofighter. But yeah I am glad they choose a single rail coaster with 2 launches it makes the new Big Dipper more special in a way or more unique. I think the single rail Big Dipper compliments the previous 2 Big Dipper's in a way as it goes upside down and then it has the rough element to it - twists, sharp turns and dips a bit like the wooden version. But it is hard to say until I get my first ride what the experience will be like or what the G-force feels like. 

Thanks for the theming information and the planned ride names, I had no idea it's not surprising they planned for more of it but it didn't eventuate.  But in saying that you never know if down the track they add theming? Just to give it a bit of a fresh look. But yeah all the new rides makes it suit the boardwalk style really well, it has a pier feeling to it now. 

On a positive note the future of LPS looks bright and I think these new rides well be very popular. It's hard to predict what will eventuate its always a bit of guess, but hey looking forward to seeing the park when this lockdown comes to an end. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ranger said:

Where did you find it?

I havent found it. As I said I have not viewed it. I know of its existence as I have a close friend who was involved with the planning of the new rides and concepts. He has told me of the video and its existence ( he has it) and will show it to me in due course. I do not think that it will be for public release and consumption though and I respect that immensely. I was just replying to the post of which coaster would have been selected had it not been the Hot Racer- I can definitively say that it was a custom Gerstlauer Eurofighter.👍

3 hours ago, Jobe said:

Yeah I have it on good authority that the original plans for the 3rd Big Dipper at Luna Park was going to be a custom designed Gerstlauer Eurofighter. It would have utilised the Tumblebug slab and also ventured out behind Coney and then back again. It would have been , through necessity, a unique layout. There is a POV and animation video of this ride in existence which I have yet to view. The Intamin Hot Racer was selected late in the planning and I guess the reasons for its selection would definitely include noise suppression versus the Eurofighter,which having a chain lift , would be fairly loud. I am sure that a custom Eurofighter at Luna Park would have been a great ride experience but I am pretty chuffed that the park opted for the worlds first and very unique single rail launched coaster..

The more I think about it, the more I realise that the eurofighter would have been pretty lame. I've not seen the POV or animation at all, but I could picture a layout pretty much in my head and needless to say I'm glad they didn't end up picking it in the end. There is only so much you can do with the plot of land that's been allocated for BD and the hot racer is the best choice for that by far.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

The more I think about it, the more I realise that the eurofighter would have been pretty lame. I've not seen the POV or animation at all, but I could picture a layout pretty much in my head and needless to say I'm glad they didn't end up picking it in the end. There is only so much you can do with the plot of land that's been allocated for BD and the hot racer is the best choice for that by far.

Sorry but thats a big call not having seen the layout or the POV. Like I said I havent either but you have to remember that this was a unique layout that was designed with Luna Park's small and unique footprint in mind. I do not think you can confidently say whether it was good or not. However, we do know that Eurofighters are usually solid rides, they can pull off some excellent elements and they can be designed and fit in small or tight spaces just like Luna Park. Would it be as good as the Hot Racer? Unknown as NOONE has ridden an example of one yet nor the Big Dipper. Would the Eurofighter that was designed  be just as good, just as iconic and as good a ride? I would argue yes indeed it certainly could have, especially what we have seen of Eurofighter models that have been installed worldwide. I am not sure how you could arrive at the opinion of it being "lame". However, as I have stated in a previous post, my preference is for the Intamin model for exactly the reasons I have laid out. However, I would not have been upset if the park had pushed ahead witht the Gerstlauer coaster. It would certainly not have been lame.

1 hour ago, joz said:

I think the hot racer is by far the better move, despite the fact it will probably be a shorter ride (lifthills and all). Disclaimer that I haven't ridden one, but nearly all of them have a large part of the population that find them uncomfortable to ride, where I just don't think Intamin will have that problem. 

You mean the Eurofighter here Joz? That’s interesting. Most reviews I have seen or heard have always called them solid rides. There are now models that have lap bar only restraints and I think this has made a huge difference in ride experience for the better. There is no denying their popularity with parks across the world- there are 25 examples of the model worldwide. 
I think the Big Dipper trains , for all their generic aesthetics, do look comfortable and I think this is one area where they will even outshine Raptor trains- which are by all accounts , one of the weakest parts of the ride experience.

Disclaimer I have ridden neither a Eurofighter or a Raptor and this damn COVID pandemic is preventing me from the opportunity to do so!! 

I think the lap bar ones are fine, the OTSR design is crappy (Taller riders in particular struggle)

But yeah I agree Eurofighters/Infinity coasters can be so hit and miss....You can ride Takabisha and it's superb, you can ride Abyss and it's OK. You can ride Karnan and hear that either its a masterpiece or a pile of junk.

So IDK maybe its hard to calibrate the wheel shims on them or something, leading to a lot of variability between parks, and even cars on the same ride.

I mean I'm happy with what we got. I've noticed with a lot of the custom eurofighters for tight sites, yes the layout "works" but it's often a bit uninspired.

I mean have a look at the one proposed for Glenwood Caverns. Pretty basic and short design IMO.

Defiance: New Glenwood Caverns roller coaster has highest drop in U.S.

In my view, some Eurofighters are bascially glorified Pinfari looper or loopscrews, but with a vertical drop.

Big Dipper I feel has a reasonably interesting design, and is probably better than what Gerstlauer would have come up with for the plot.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2021 at 1:57 PM, Jobe said:

Well that's annoying. Do you have any idea if this proposed theming or "bridges" can be added in further down the track when the park earns more money (obviously cash is tight for every business thanks to COVID but I would hope the park can gain revenue back from both ride operations and Big Top events etc. very soon)

Gazza is spot on. The newer lap bar Eurofighters are fine; the older ones with overhead restraints vary from "not great" to "horrid".

Separately, you do NOT want a clone of Sandy's Blasting Bronco. It's boring. What you do want is a clone of GaleForce at Playland's Castaway Cove. That ride is phenomenal.

• Like 1

Park's capacity is just over 3,000 I would assume due to the size of it. So it would safely manage to operate under the new restrictions of 5,000 max. 

It would just be back to ensuring entry/exit points are clearly defined. They achieve this relatively well. Cindy island would be the only part of the park that would be tricky seeing it's an indoor facility, so naturally, its numbers would be limited.  

A quick rought Google Maps measure of the parks guest accessible spaces shows they could have up to the 5,000 guests limit and still have more than 4 square meters per guest. Of course I don't think they would want to/ should be trying to get anywhere near those numbers when all those guests are going to be cramped in queues not evenly spread throughout.

Would love to see a small ticketed reopening of the park with 1,000 guests per day but my guess is they will bring back sessions like they had last year, with a couple of  ~4 hours sessions a day.

image.thumb.png.1a60af13e2314debed85bee50176de39.png