Luna park 9 new rides construction

Coasterlife

2 hours ago, MrLukeCarroll said:

A quick rought Google Maps measure of the parks guest accessible spaces shows they could have up to the 5,000 guests limit and still have more than 4 square meters per guest. Of course I don't think they would want to/ should be trying to get anywhere near those numbers when all those guests are going to be cramped in queues not evenly spread throughout.

Would love to see a small ticketed reopening of the park with 1,000 guests per day but my guess is they will bring back sessions like they had last year, with a couple of  ~4 hours sessions a day.

image.thumb.png.1a60af13e2314debed85bee50176de39.png

They could have 5,000. I'm sure when the park reopened in 2004 it was regularly hitting these numbers.

I think timed sessions are the way the park will go. Given they did this successfully last year and beginning of this year. While it's upsetting in a way you do not get the entire day you can easily do many rides and re-rides during this event time. 

You make good valid points @MrLukeCarroll. I'm just looking forward to returning to the park. 

Different question for everyone, does anyone know when the light caps on the towers will return? Or are they all going to be taken off? like the 1970s face. I am just curious as to why these have being modified, because they don't look right with the bottom cap on but the top one off.

Keen to hear from anyone who knows why? Or what might happen in the future? Like are they coming back? Or are they all going to be taken off eventually? 

Light1.JPG

Light2.JPG

5 hours ago, MrLukeCarroll said:

A quick rought Google Maps measure of the parks guest accessible spaces shows they could have up to the 5,000 guests limit and still have more than 4 square meters per guest. Of course I don't think they would want to/ should be trying to get anywhere near those numbers when all those guests are going to be cramped in queues not evenly spread throughout.

Would love to see a small ticketed reopening of the park with 1,000 guests per day but my guess is they will bring back sessions like they had last year, with a couple of  ~4 hours sessions a day.

image.thumb.png.1a60af13e2314debed85bee50176de39.png

things like the dodgem car rink, the shops under the mouse, spinning ride footpritns etc are not guest accessible in that sense. Should just measure the grey bitumen areas.

7 minutes ago, Gazza said:

things like the dodgem car rink, the shops under the mouse, spinning ride footpritns etc are not guest accessible in that sense. Should just measure the grey bitumen areas.

In theory yes, but all businesses in NSW pretty much count everything when figuring out capcaity limits. I've seen tiny shoe stores with 20 people allowed inside which can only be so if they're counting back of house areas. 

The Governments rules are just length x width which is what I based my calculations off
image.thumb.png.c6865cdb4f70e6f5105ae39820566b70.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, themeparkman said:

Hey people what if Luna Park bought the Buzzsaw from Dreamworld, would it be possible for Luna Park Sydney to do so. Either all Luna Park needs another thrill ride and I think Luna Park Sydney would have room for it. 

If memory serves me correct, the planning rules the state government put in place at LPS a few years ago limits rides be no taller than 30 metres making installation of something like Buzzsaw impossible. Hair Raiser was grandfathered in as this was implemented a few years ago and all the new installations are made to be compliant with these regs.

Edited by Baconjack

16 minutes ago, themeparkman said:

Hey people what if Luna Park bought the Buzzsaw from Dreamworld, would it be possible for Luna Park Sydney to do so. Either all Luna Park needs another thrill ride and I think Luna Park Sydney would have room for it. 

Wishful thinking, LPS have a maximum height limit they are allowed to build too. 

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Different question for everyone, does anyone know when the light caps on the towers will return? Or are they all going to be taken off? like the 1970s face. I am just curious as to why these have being modified, because they don't look right with the bottom cap on but the top one off.

Keen to hear from anyone who knows why? Or what might happen in the future? Like are they coming back? Or are they all going to be taken off eventually? 

Light1.JPG

Light2.JPG

possibly just doing some maintenance or they got damaged. I'm sure they'll return eventually. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, themeparkman said:

Yeah like the others said the height of that ride is the problem, it is too tall. But in terms of room, it could possibly fit where the Silly Sub is located? The sub would have to go somewhere else? But maybe it could fit in that space, but it would be a really tight fit. The other spot which it probably will never happen is on top of the car park, but that's elevated anyway so there is problems with that. 

I think its more likely down the track that they may build a ride behind the Ferris Wheel, so in between Crystal Palace and the Ferris Wheel: Where the wide steps, table and chairs are located now. So yeah maybe they may build a thrill ride there, but there will probably be an uproar from the neighbors saying it interferes with the Midway section, but maybe not.  

The other possibility is they may move the Silly Sub and place some sort of thrill ride there, but again I am just guessing. Heck they may even put a Davey Jones Locker there. But that's just an idea and I don't think they will. But then who ever thought 10 years again that the Big Dipper will return, so there are possibilities but it is just a wild guess at the moment.  

2 hours ago, themeparkman said:

You can always modify the Buzzsaw to be a little smaller for height regulations in Luna Park Sydney.

Correct, if you are willing to pay for all the engineering cost associated. 

You won't see that ride at LPS. They've invested in the Intamin single rail, I don't see why they would want to get Buzzsaw at all. 

54 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Correct, if you are willing to pay for all the engineering cost associated. 

You won't see that ride at LPS. They've invested in the Intamin single rail, I don't see why they would want to get Buzzsaw at all. 

100%. There is just no room for Buzzsaw in the first place and their $30 Million dollar investment means they are pretty much done with second hand rides.

The ride is not even required at LPS- the Intamin Hot racer will be far superior to it in every way - heck I reckon Boomerang is probably bang for buck a better coaster. It just doesn’t fit into either their aesthetic or the type of ride they are looking for.

To be honest, there is far more chance of it going to LPM ( and even that is slim to none.) At least they could actually fit the thing in the park , have available space and actually have a urgent need. It makes much more sense being installed at LPM more so than any other park in Australia with the exception of either Funfields or Gumbuaya. 

• Like 1

Do you think LPM will respond with Sydney getting the Big Dipper back? Like they torn down the wooden one in 1989 then they thought about replacing it with a boomerang but that fell out at the last minute and it went to Wonderland Sydney.

But I wonder if LPM will respond with a new coaster? Like would they get another single rail coaster just to compete? 

39 minutes ago, Jim said:

Do you think LPM will respond with Sydney getting the Big Dipper back? Like they torn down the wooden one in 1989 then they thought about replacing it with a boomerang but that fell out at the last minute and it went to Wonderland Sydney.

But I wonder if LPM will respond with a new coaster? Like would they get another single rail coaster just to compete? 

Why? They aren't competitors. 

I don't see LPM getting a new major ride for some time. The Park is owned by the Linfox company, I believe. So even tho LPS is getting yet another Big Dipper LPM does not need to respond at all. 

LPM has local competition with Gumbya and Funfields anyway. 

Buzzsaw won't be going to any of the Luna Parks. As much as some might want it to it's just never going to happen. The ride will end up most likely overseas I believe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StingRay said:

Another great time-lapse construction video from the park. Here showing  Big Dipper’s station area. 

https://fb.watch/7_lZ0Va7xX/

Great vid mate thanks for sharing. It still doesnt answer the question of how the entry and exit queues will be installed- more and more it looks like there will need to be a stair and platform leaving over the intitial launch track to the main queue on the other side.

2 hours ago, Jobe said:

Great vid mate thanks for sharing. It still doesnt answer the question of how the entry and exit queues will be installed- more and more it looks like there will need to be a stair and platform leaving over the intitial launch track to the main queue on the other side.

I am guessing the entrance will start in the existing BD building? Then I Imagine there will be a long queue on top of the dodgems, but how the queue line gets over the track seems confusing. Yeah most likely some sort of bridge over the track or maybe around it somehow? The exit I am guessing will be a steel staircase next to the existing BD building? Or the exit will be right next to Coney Island?

Does anyone know when the new Big Dipper opens will you be able to walk under it to Maloneys Corner? Or Luna Land as it is called now? Because in the mock up video it had park guests walking under the coaster. So I am wondering if it will be open to the public or closed off? 

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Does anyone know when the new Big Dipper opens will you be able to walk under it to Maloneys Corner? Or Luna Land as it is called now? Because in the mock up video it had park guests walking under the coaster. So I am wondering if it will be open to the public or closed off? 

That is what I would like to see; it makes the back of the park more connected with the front. Not to mention it's a flat surface so it's easier for prams and wheelchair users.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 19Michael96 said:

That is what I would like to see; it makes the back of the park more connected with the front. Not to mention it's a flat surface so it's easier for prams and wheelchair users.

Yeah I agree, the pram and wheelchair access would be very good then; not to mention the park feeling more connected all together. 

45 minutes ago, Jim said:

The mock up has people under the coaster but the backstage area is still gated off. The stairs from Glen St to Maloney's Corner were meant to reopen around the middle of this year according to the sign on them which would suggest the walking under the coaster part is true (Though the stair reopening won't happen while the park is hard gated like it more than likely will be upon reopening).

While it would be good to make the park more open and connected, I doubt they would want to lose some of the little backstage area they have.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, MrLukeCarroll said:

The mock up has people under the coaster but the backstage area is still gated off. The stairs from Glen St to Maloney's Corner were meant to reopen around the middle of this year according to the sign on them which would suggest the walking under the coaster part is true (Though the stair reopening won't happen while the park is hard gated like it more than likely will be upon reopening).

While it would be good to make the park more open and connected, I doubt they would want to lose some of the little backstage area they have.

Yeah that's true, I think that staircase will be closed for a while, plus with the Covid restrictions I can't seem it opening for ages like you said. It says on the LPS website that the park is due to reopen on the 1st of October. But I can't see that happening until October the 18th at the earliest? When does everyone else think the park will open up again? 

Yeah true, they probably want to keep the backstage area space closed. 

Edited by Jim

5 hours ago, Jim said:

It says on the LPS website that the park is due to reopen on the 1st of October. But I can't see that happening until October the 18th at the earliest? When does everyone else think the park will open up again? 

Knowing some people behind the scenes they're currently still planning for Halloscream to open on the 22nd of October, scare actor applications closed today. Woudn't be surprised if that's also the day they plan on opening the park to fully vaccinated guests or at least that weekend.