Luna park 9 new rides construction

Coasterlife

I finally got to return to the park for the first time in months this evening which was a perfect opportunity to see the current status of LPS with my own eyes. I took photos (duh).

First, the Big Dipper: 

IMG_6283.thumb.jpeg.b41fa1bc9b133de03b38796a676ad2ec.jpeg

IMG_6268.thumb.jpeg.6b06965a5b0e9894701bcd6ceea63cbe.jpeg

IMG_6271.thumb.jpeg.cfb99e3ca2ae99d21c3cbc1fa1bdbde1.jpeg

I also took a video of it undergoing a test run:

Next, a few outside shots of "Luna Land". I noticed that unlike the midway, the music playing was contemporary pop music (Sledgehammer had, well, Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel for example which is hilarious considering how innuendo ridden that song is and it's playing at a family destination lol), which would suggest this section of the park is going for a more "modern" flavour. Apart from lack of theming and bridges the fact that a banner for Luna Land was erected instead of a proper sign as was proposed in the concept art seems to suggest that they ran out of money to add more desired embellishments at this time:

IMG_6284.thumb.jpeg.e50d247742f10d05400b140146b11e93.jpeg

IMG_6285.thumb.jpeg.86d9759c31088b22b10eb4f55c917648.jpeg

IMG_6286.thumb.jpeg.5754bb5bc570a7ea438941f9b95a80a7.jpeg

I also got video of the Boomerang in action:

Thirdly, the Wild Mouse track looks to be intact again though I'm sure restoration and repair is still in progress. You can tell which parts of the structure have and haven't been overhauled:

IMG_6277.thumb.jpeg.aed83146bb0d0698a62d42e3fa74d1da.jpeg

IMG_6278.thumb.jpeg.ec46f7e1dc3cdeb12c93af1bbec17142.jpeg

And finally a photo of what's sure to make many LPS history buffs cream themselves, restoration of the original Big Dipper carriage has been making great progress:

IMG_6267.thumb.jpeg.1539d835b821589a5836ec94dbb565bb.jpeg

(Side note: I also took these of the workers walkway passing under the Big Dipper. I still think this section of path should be opened up to the public to make it easier for disabled access and to make Luna Land more connected to the rest of the park in general)

IMG_6276.thumb.jpeg.24ff1a927ec47944248086d189bbca78.jpeg

IMG_6275.thumb.jpeg.58fa451cb4138bd1c1c069d707bf9e7a.jpeg

• Like 5

On a positive note, at least decals have been applied to the facade in front of the BD station to make it look somewhat authentic and faithful to the intricate facade that it sits next to.

Almost serves as a juxtaposition to what sits at Maloney's Corner at present, a bunch of flats plonked on a parking lot with hardly any presentation work done whatsoever. The banner is an embarrassment but people have joked about it to death at this point. Even the cheap new screen printed signs at MW look better.

• Like 1

I mean the rides actually look PERMANENT for one thing at least. They just need beefed up embellishment. But like I said I honestly think money's just too tight right now. Once more events can be held at the Big Top and Crystal Palace that's when the cash starts to flow in and some can be invested in finishing off park theming.

42 minutes ago, Flea said:

Thanks for the videos. 2nd launch on Big Dipper looks like it has some real kick.

I find the tire brake run super interesting particularly as it sounds noisy vs magnetic - wonder if this is a result of limitations of the train design?

Yeah if we’re honest the tyre braking system seems super janky - like something out of no limits you do to get the trains to run. I’m sure it’s not in reality but it’s interesting none the less.

23 hours ago, Flea said:

Thanks for the videos. 2nd launch on Big Dipper looks like it has some real kick.

I find the tire brake run super interesting particularly as it sounds noisy vs magnetic - wonder if this is a result of limitations of the train design?

To be honest I didnt think it sounded that noisy which I guess is what they were hoping to achieve. The fact that this coaster doesnt need a clanky , high full lift hill is what sets this coaster apart from the previous Arrow Big Dipper. This will have minimum impact on residents the main launch is contained between the Office block and Coney Island- I am betting that virtually no one will hear this coaster apart from the screams of riders as they surmount the non inverting loop and the sidewinder. And having only 7 ( or 8?) people per train as opposed to the normal 16 or 24 this will also be kept to a minimum. From a noise point of view , and the placing of the ride , this is the perfect coaster for Luna Park and it apears it has been designed from a noise allowance and height restriction to be as non confronting for residents as much as possible. Surely there can be no complaints about this. The Sledgehammer would generate more noise than this just from number of ridership alone!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jobe said:

To be honest I didnt think it sounded that noisy which I guess is what they were hoping to achieve. The fact that this coaster doesnt need a clanky , high full lift hill is what sets this coaster apart from the previous Arrow Big Dipper. This will have minimum impact on residents the main launch is contained between the Office block and Coney Island- I am betting that virtually no one will hear this coaster apart from the screams of riders as they surmount the non inverting loop and the sidewinder. And having only 7 ( or 8?) people per train as opposed to the normal 16 or 24 this will also be kept to a minimum. From a noise point of view , and the placing of the ride , this is the perfect coaster for Luna Park and it apears it has been designed from a noise allowance and height restriction to be as non confronting for residents as much as possible. Surely there can be no complaints about this. The Sledgehammer would generate more noise than this just from number of ridership alone!

Can confirm the track roar is very limited especially when compared to its predecessor, from what I've seen during tests. Must have put sand in the track to dampen the noise presumably. Tire launch is very quiet as well. You'd think nothing would go wrong but residents that are opposed to LPS operating as a theme park entity will prove otherwise, but that won't amount to much anyway

4 hours ago, New display name said:

Unlike a normal LIM system, Raptors LIM braking system looks to be high maintenance with the raising and lowering of the magnetic brakes as the train passes over. 

Having mag brakes (or even friction brakes) that raise and lower is pretty routine.

Im surprised they didnt have brake fins to the side like on the old school Intamin hypers or premier.

https://rcdb.com/541.htm#p=127284

• Like 1

I think for me it's the thought that fundamentally block brake sections have always had a way to physically hold onto a train with great force with some sort of fin being gripped, whereas this is just a bunch of spinning tyres. I'm sure Intamin figured the weight of the train was light enough that with the speed of the train they probably didn't need something with a lot of force to stop the train... 🤷🏻‍♂️

I guess it's just kinda like when companies started doing launches mid-ride - we all kinda thought that was just the stuff you'd see in RollerCoaster Tycoon or No Limits or whatever, now it's everywhere.

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

Intamin normally use wheels to stop trains anyway (Given mag brakes cant hold them)

You'll note none of our Intamins have pinch brakes.

But not to initially bring the speed right down, that's always been reserved for magnetic brakes and little skids that drop away. But you're right - in the stations of both Jet Rescue & Motocoaster there's no skids, just tyres. TIL.

1078917957_ScreenShot2021-11-29at4_56_09pm.thumb.jpg.d1e68c8b169ab34bbacc828183b543a4.jpg1340566872_ScreenShot2021-11-29at4_56_58pm.thumb.jpg.25ecd32452e9117b776125cce150e913.jpg