Luna park 9 new rides construction

Coasterlife

46 minutes ago, themagician said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but they it’s Australia’s tallest and fastest multi-launch coaster, but Steel Taipan is taller and faster? 

i think they mean 2 different launches? like how they have the first one then it travels to the second one instead of the multi pass launch system? that’s the only thing i can guess

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Gazza said:

This is a situation where i think there needs to be differentiation in terminology, because quite clearly Surfrider and Steel Taipan have a different launch to Jet Rescue or Big Dipper.

How does ST not have multiply launches?  Clearly ST isn't getting up the spike without a second launch.

10 hours ago, Rivals said:

i think they mean 2 different launches? like how they have the first one then it travels to the second one instead of the multi pass launch system? that’s the only thing i can guess

I think you’re right, because it would be the fastest coaster with multiple seperate launches. Which means it’s only against Jet Rescue and the Motocoaster. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, themagician said:

I think you’re right, because it would be the fastest coaster with multiple seperate launches. Which means it’s only against Jet Rescue and the Motocoaster. 

Where does it say fastest coaster with multiple separate launches?  What it should say,  It's the fastest double launch coaster in the country.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

How does ST not have multiply launches?  

It's multiple you dumbass.

So to clarify:

Superman is the fastest single direction launch coaster

Steel Taipan is the fastest multi directional launch coaster

Big Dipper is the fastest double seperate launching coaster

Jet Rescue is the fastest tire double launch coaster 

And MDMC is the fastest tire single launch coaster 

1 hour ago, themagician said:

Big Dipper is the fastest double seperate launching coaster

Jet Rescue is the fastest tire double launch coaster 

But Big Dipper has a tyre launch too.

4 hours ago, New display name said:

How does ST not have multiply launches?  Clearly ST isn't getting up the spike without a second launch.

Just based on my personal experience, something that passes a bank of LSMs several times to pick up speed (Wicked Twister, Sky Scream, Star Trek Operation Enterprise) feels different to a coaster where you are going forwards the whole time and the 2nd half amps it up with a faster launch (Taron, Velocicoaster, Helix)

Here’s the thing, if you have to explain your ‘record breaking’ stat then it’s bullshit and you shouldn’t even be promoting it. 

You can be the tallest, the fastest or hell even have the most inversions… but that’s it! Go away with any of these other ridiculous statistics. 

• Like 4

I hate to contribute when arguments are getting heated, and I want to be clear and say I think this is a matter of semantics and it really doesn't matter.

But if we widen the lens to a global level, I'd say you'd have a hard time putting Steel Taipan in the same category of "multi-launch coaster" as Taron or Icon. Yes, it launches 3 times, but it's essentially the same launch just drawn out into three passes. It is still a roller coaster with a layout initiated by one launch at the beginning, not multiple throughout the layout. It doesn't really have multiple "separate launches" in the sense that Taron does, or in the sense that LPS seems to be attempting to imply with their record claim.

But at the end of the day, it really comes down to the semantics of "multiple launches" versus "multiple passes", and when you draw that distinction, they're technically not wrong. It is taller and faster than any other coaster in Australia with multiple launch tracks. Whether you think multiple passes counts as multiple launches seems like it's an issue that will split people's opinion right down the middle. Personally, I have a hard time classifying SurfRider as a "multi-launch" coaster.

To be honest I couldn’t give a toss for records. They are meaningless when they try to tart it up as something it isn’t or inflate it in the publics consciousness. I mean I get that it’s marketing 101 but we all know as enthusiasts it’s just a big wank.

There are plenty of legitimate things that can be attributed to this coaster.

1st Single rail launched coaster in the world 

Australia’s first single rail coaster

Just these 2 facts alone are worthy of marketing it and sounding impressive.

There is no need to tart it up into something it isn’t.

I just fervently hope that it rides WELL. As long as it is forceful and garners a reputation as being a quality coaster is all I am interested in.

We certainly do not want it turning into another Motocoaster disappointment- where so much was promised and so little was delivered. 

Luna Park has waited so long for a new decent coaster that if that were to occur it would be extremely heartbreaking. 
Fingers crossed it’s a banger and fun to ride. 

Edited by Jobe
  • Like 2

On 22/12/2021 at 11:48 PM, themagician said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but they it’s Australia’s tallest and fastest multi-launch coaster, but Steel Taipan is taller and faster? 

It’s Sydney logic Sydney people only think Sydney’s the only big city in Australia and the people are ignorant who never travel besides to Europe.

8 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

Alright I’ve ridden this a few times so I thought i might put up a cheeky review.

Big Dipper is a pretty decent and forceful little ride.

The presentation overall is a little weak other than the murals at the tower it’s pretty much just generic construction fencing with photos of the coaster on them, and event barrier fencing in the queue.

On the ride itself the restraints are very comfortable. The first launch and the section between that and the 2nd launch is a little meandering and slow but the 2nd launch definitely has a bit of a kick to it, like the 2nd launch on jet rescue. The non inverting loop is quite forceful as is the sidewinder although there definitely is a bit of a rattle on these elements. The airtime hill is fine, it’s not as good as the last few hills on Rivals but offers some OK ejector. Finally the curve and corkscrew is very forceful, although a bit rattly. It’s definitely a coaster that takes a bit of warming up and is quite fast when fully warmed up -  although it’s a bit rough, which I feel is something that you have to expect with coasters in our climate and is fine as long as you ride a bit defensively.

Overall it’s a good coaster but I don’t think it’s better than Rivals. I don’t think it will be better than Taipan either. 

A5270A61-8F55-4013-9658-16413675648F.jpeg

F3EF010F-8E84-4024-BA38-91068988DB51.jpeg

2AA8D710-5B1D-4AC1-A082-1D3A443BACD0.jpeg

Thanks for the review!

I am sure as time goes on the theming will get better. Were there long lines for the coaster today? Like did heaps of people show up?