Wet n Wild GC - New Attraction?

themagician

Yeah something family friendly back there makes loads of sense and all that capacity is needed (even if the star attraction has a fairly low capacity). It does look a bit average right now TBH, but that is pretty standard for new attractions before the gardens have had a good chance to grow in. Good to see New getting some love again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Will Kaboom do that poorly capacity wise?

4 people per dispatch, and it will be a rather fast ride...

If we presume it's roughly 50-60 seconds going off the length of the ride, that's 200p/h best case scenario.

My question would be is that a high or a low number in the world of waterslides?

27 minutes ago, Slick said:

If we presume it's roughly 50-60 seconds going off the length of the ride, that's 200p/h best case scenario.

My question would be is that a high or a low number in the world of waterslides?

Well a slide like kraken does 600 people an hour. Same as gravity wave, perfect storm etc. 

58 minutes ago, Slick said:

Supertubes has a 40 second ride time.

Breakers at Raging Waters has a 20 second ride time.

Master Blasters can run with blocks but im not sure how conservatively they will run it.

So a 40 second dispatch interval = 90 dispatches per hour.

90*4= 360 per hour.

if they can dispatch before the other one reaches the end, say every 30 seconds, then they'll get 480 per hour.

I checked this out on Saturday morning.

Pics here:

https://www.parkz.com.au/search/photos/location/wetnwild-gold-coast

The Area

All clean and modern looking. Resort style meets modern local pool I guess.

The entrance signs in particular look nice, with bold 3D logos on white battens.

e02dd3b4def03386bad5be471d670e2e.jpg

Kaboom

I did this one first, and still had a bit of a wait. The blue side was intermittently shutting down due to teething problems, so it was maybe running at 60% capacity. It seemed they would get 3 or so dispatches before it would fault and need restarting.

The slide is great, was suprised by the abruptness of the drops, but you lose a bit of speed towards the top of the blaster sections. The Blasters are well tuned, so you dont get the "fire hose in the back" sensation, the water seems to stick to the slide surface.

The whole turnaround part is good you pick up speed in the tailspin section, and the following turns and helices are enclosed and pitch black.

The final helix is actually very transparent, and you can see through it easily. I think being a larger diameter tunnel  and lack of water in the face helps compared to Aqualoop (Which you cant really see well out of)

The line moved quite slow, so I think dreams of 30 second dispatches are exactly that. The staff members have fall arrest thingys attached to an overhead cable on the start platform, since it would be fairly easy to fall down into the slide. The funny thing is guests are of course unprotected. You board at deck level onto the raft sitting on the conveyor belt, so it was funny seeing staff freak out when the front passenger went to sit down but got a bit close to the front.

I think eventually they'll install gates like on River Rapids to remove this risk.

bd00a0dcbdb6bc7e3699b92cd104656a.jpg

Double Barrel

Now, the absolute silly thing I cannot fathom is that both rides have a shared queue, so if you are wanting to just do the double barrel presumably you have to line up with everyone else waiting for Kaboom. Now in practice that doesn't happen because the greeter asks you what you want to ride, and then sends you down the Fast Track queue.

But whhhhhhy even have to do that? Why not have a 3rd queue just for Double Barrel riders and avoid any confusion. All this brand queue railing that might have to be changed.

The slide is as gentle as you would expect, but it actually seemed popular with parents with younger kids, and it was using all its rafts, so it's doing its job of adding capacity. 

Boarding is a bit awkward. The queue finishes at the opposite end of the platform, the operator puts the raft into the start tub for you. the start tub is both narrow and with high edges, so its squeezy to get in.

As for the slide, pretty gentle, just a sense of coming into land and gradually descending. The most forceful part is the splashdown.

2310eda872c9482e8f6ddc6912e30e9d.jpg

Super Ripper

Yayyyy this one is the best. Capacity is too low for demand, (And the same thing happens over at River Rapids)

WnW needs more classic body slides IMO.

I had a heap of sunscreen on, which turned a bit greasy when wet, which meant sliding was ridiculously fast. The great thing was the turns were smooth, as were the joints, so no back pain, nor any fear of being thrown around violently on the turns, so you could really blitz it on the way down.

The rainbow colour daylight rings on the enclosed section looked nice and crisp.

I'd happily go on this over and over on a quiet day.

a2e6eae6b3035225a82f29629479e1bf.jpg

General Notes

Every ride has scales at the bottom and top with a red and green light system.

The old changerooms have had a tart up match the style of the new area.

There is artificial turf but its literally hotter than the concrete, went to walk on it because i thought the path was too hot but quickly noped out.

The staircases are pretty wide for Kaboom which is nice. None of the problems WnW Sydney had.

I thought it was funny that they have wrapped the start of Super Ripper in padding, because the staircase passes closely underneath, so it is plausible that guests would have scraped their rafts on it if carried too high.

Minor bugbear, but at the bottom of the staircases, the overhead signs are generic text instead of using the ride logos. Why?

a3460d43ffded79463218e9d66e0a21d.jpg

Overall, good additions that will keep WnW ticking along, with literally something for everyone.

• Like 4

I went yesterday and they have made some changes for the queueing for Double Barrel and Kaboom. They had a staff member stationed at the front of the queue asking which ride you were going on and then split the queue immediately. Kaboom was intermittent yesterday but extremely popular. The area itself is stunning. They had a few food kiosks set up which was a good idea too.

2 hours ago, Vidgamer said:

I went yesterday and they have made some changes for the queueing for Double Barrel and Kaboom. They had a staff member stationed at the front of the queue asking which ride you were going on and then split the queue immediately. Kaboom was intermittent yesterday but extremely popular. The area itself is stunning. They had a few food kiosks set up which was a good idea too.

I left the park around midday and Kaboom wasn't operational at that point. Super Ripper is realllly nice and 100% they need a few more body slides.

• 2 weeks later...

Went and checked out the new area this morning. The area is a great addition to the park and has really made this area of the park much more popular. It’s great that the kids get to play in the splash area while the adults/older kids get to go on the rides.

The area seems to no longer be referred to as Extreme H2O Zone, as all references to it have been removed. They have also updated the directional signage.

509640A4-F095-4810-A9B4-BD8A15B10D63.thumb.jpeg.72679bb6d948f49ea6121d3bf7ab5f72.jpeg

E866D6CF-7DBD-47BD-AFD2-0BB8A38A4643.thumb.jpeg.5ca49f074196c86636593aa84df58cc0.jpeg

The whole area has been really nicely done. The facilities are good and there is plenty of good seat/grassed areas. 

It amazes me that they didn’t make Kaboom and Double Barrel have their own queues from the beginning. I can’t believe they thought having both rides share the one queue was going to work and now they’ve had to do a temporary solution. The Fast Track queue is now in a seperate location, closer to the splashdowns. Kaboom was at least a 30 minute wait while Double Barrel had no queue. 
B38ACA14-1456-4F8A-A283-316E78BCCB02.thumb.jpeg.b786da25ab5ac3a5a6a8d8ac07b8db34.jpeg

Double Barrel are alright. They are good for parents with their kids, but I’ve done them once and probably wont do them again. 

Super Ripper was the surprise for me. A lot more fun than I expected and it really picks up some speed. Would happily ride them over and over.

Kaboom was also really good. Has a good variety of elements, gets good speed and has decent thrill. The loading was interesting (as someone has already mentioned). The staff are fully harnessed up, but there isn’t a gate for guests. And because of that they are really anal about how you board into tube and they have this panicked look the entries time. The first drop is good, but it’s a shame you loose so much speed at the very top. The clear slide pieces are a real nice touch. And they allow the tube to pick up some good speed again, but is lost as soon as you get to the top of the uphills. 

Overall great additions for the park and makes it feel more complete. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since people are mentioning the rides again, I might share my experience when I went in August.

KABOOM

The best ride of them all and the second best ride at the park (Aqualoop was the best) I had to pick a random person, since the people who I was with were in the heated pools. Although I had trouble finding someone, I finally found someone and went on the ride. I love the drops and the length of the ride. 

SUPER RIPPER

Awesome ride at the park. I went down with one of my cousins and unfortunately I lost the race. Still an awesome ride though, and the rainbow lines inside the ride make it look really cool. Would recommend going on this next time someone goes to Wet N Wild.

DOUBLE BARREL

Unfortunately, this ride was closed when I went in August so can’t say anything about it.