LPS ride issues

GoGoBoy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see the big brewa-ha-ha-ha about this work and safety thing, if they've got the booth and an umbrella, what more do they need, it provides shade and a lot more than most of the queue lines at Luna Park Sydney have got, so what do they have to winge about?
Are you serious? Have you ever been outside on a summer’s day in Sydney with only an umbrella for protection? I’m not talking about for an hour or so but for a whole day. Just because they don't have shade for the queue line (which they should) does that mean that the staff shouldn't either? There is actually legislation that states that an employer should provide adequate protection from the elements for all staff who work outside. Most of the rides don't have op booths but they should, that is if the company cares about their staff. "The Bus is now leaving for George Booth Park, Western Australia"

ok ok ok, Ive spent a while outside in a Sydneys summer, most noticeble in my history were the swimming carnival this year, and I didnt put enough sunblock on *slaps on forehead* and I went to Wonderland in Feb this year for my Birthday, the day after the swimming carnival *slaps again*, and spent a lot of time outside (how ironic) But really, I cant see what they can really do, except provide airconditioning for the booths, but that'd cost too much... perhaps a fan in the booth maybe? Iuno

Yeah Taz was good for a cook up but Zodiac was better. I swear I could smell bacon frying when fat people walked out on the launch pad when it was about 40C. There was also the smell of frying eggs when the teenage girls walked on it. Mmmmmmm Bacon..... Edit: What can they do? Provide booths to start with. That would be a good start. "The Bus is now leaving for Eggs And Bacon Bay, Tasmania"

Zodiac had it's benefits in winter and/or rain though. Put me up there any day! Close the doors, put your feet up on the control panel and watch the grand total of zero people walk by! Then half an hour later remember there's people going around above you and you should bring them back down :P hehe In all seriousness, it was good for wet weather and winter. Got very snug at times. Good looking visitors were always welcomed with open arms into Danny's Bachelor Pad! As you know very well you bitch, I spent many a day up there!

It's bad enough for the ride ops that Luna Park Sydney only has umbrellas instead of booths on (most) of its rides... but it's even worse for the poor attendants. I noticed that they don't even have the luxury of an umbrella. I've seen the poor guys either standing in direct sunlight or in pooring rain with nothing but the sky above them. What makes it even worse is LPS's exposed location. If they want to keep their staff happy they should invest a very small amount of money in a few pieces of plywood and create booths, even if very basic, for each ride. I would imagine providing the operators with a chair or stool would also be a nice touch. From what I can remember, staff at Wonderland were allowed to sit down while operating weren't they? When you are working on a ride all day and need to focus 100% for safety reasons, a little comfort goes a long way

It rained last night and today, but regardless, Im taking it that Daniel worked at Wonderland, tell me, were you one of those cool attendants or one of those boring ones, cause there was this one guy who really annoyed me and kept walking past me all day. Anyway, I propose that they plant some nice big trees (can you plant Morton Bay Figs) at Luna Park and wait for them to grow, perhaps that'd be cool.

Daniel was the most boring ride operator Wonderland has ever seen. No guest interaction. He didn't do very much spieling and what he did was only because there was a supervisor or manager in the area and what spieling he did was very un-original. Flea we had to stop using the "I'll see you back in 90 seconds... I hope" line because one time the train didn't come back, it stopped on lift 2. Some of the guests were not too happy after that. "The Bus is now leaving for Daniel Roux Cave, Western Australia"

Why would I care about them? ;) Bus, that's why I always added 'I hope' on the end... It really was a lottery wasn't it... Better than leaving the train on the Bush Beast lift in the pouring rain because of the train filled with smart arse idiots. That definitely didn't happen either... Muhahahaha ya little bitch!

Obviously not. Some of the Dreamworld ride-ops are the most funniest people. Yesterday I was on an E-brake on the Tower and they both jumped out going "e-brake, ooh yeah, half an hour brake, ooh yeah, e-brake..." actually I forget the song now but the point is is that some Dreamworld ride-ops and Wonderland ride-ops are the coolest people i've ever met. "...How did you know about the Cherry Picker....... oohh, I bet you you're that Slick guy aren't you?" "...Yeah the one that knows too much and has funny photos of Dreamworld stuff..." "...Yeah, it's a tough life, but some one has to annoy the crap out of the admin....and ride-ops...."

Yeah, but can I just say I know many people at WVTPs who also think they're funny, however, only I have a guest comment that proves that I am :P On topic: What's wrong with protection from the elements for the operators? Why is giving people decent working conditions such a taboo? I just don't get why people are saying that there's no issue there. Protection from the elements (heat especially) is a very important consideration for the good of everyone, not just for the operators. I mean, if an operator pass' out at a crucial moment in a rides cycle then the results could be catastrophic. Heat also takes allot of energy out of you, and could make an op tired and make it hard to do his/her job. Its Luna Park's responsibility that the operators are looked after, and are able to do their jobs properly. Its also in the parks best interests. After all, it doesn't take long for public liability insurance companies to spot a reason to increase fees.

so if an umbrella wont do the trick, what will?
How about a properly constructed operator’s booth? Made of wood with a roof, a door and even a window made from glass or some other clear substance. They could even put a fan in there to keep the operator cooler or even (if they want to splash out) a small air-conditioner (I don't like there chances for this). "The Bus is now leaving for Boothainga Hut, South Australia"