Fright Nights 2021

Meep Meep

• 1 month later...
On 22/05/2021 at 9:39 AM, Smol bean said:

Well they only have 4 months left so they have to start construction  next month if they want it for October. So there probably will be a Short list of mazes this year.

construction has started, next time someones out there take a close look/listen to the old arcade,  

40 minutes ago, JaggedJanine said:

Anyone have ideas on what they would like the 2 new mazes this year to be?

A maze theme to Halloween (Michael Myers) as there is a new movie coming out.

What about a maze themed around the purge movies ? It can provide a lot of jump scares, if the idea from the start is that they are hunting you and you are trying to escape them.

Spiral (saw franchise) will likely happen since we have had a saw maze in the past and alot of previous props would be reused.

1 hour ago, JaggedJanine said:

Anyone have ideas on what they would like the 2 new mazes this year to be?

would there be any returning mazes or would the IP’s run out considering it’s been over 2 years? i could see doll haus returning but i think the rest will be all new. 

I think mazes themed to the Conjuring 3 and Halloween are very likely tbh

Not sure on the IP expiry, but if they had planned to have them last year, I reckon they, like much of the rest of the world, would have pursued some sort of extension or grace on the basis of the pandemic. 

As for mazes and IP - It's been a long time since I went to fright nights (and I have freebies every year I don't use) - and nothing about IP entices me to go. I'd rather they put their money into great mazes and great actors than to blow their wad on intellectual property licences and then have to skimp on the scares because they blew the budget on the name. 

I remember doing a maze down Lethal Alley one year - Dragon's Den or something. No IP. Pitch Black. Scary AF. The other memorable maze i've been through was the film vault - no specific IP - just a bunch of fences, a lot of smoke, and random characters stalking and scaring the pants off of you.

SAW is probably the only IP I remember at all - and even then, I don't remember much in the way of scares - just Jigsaw masks popping out here and there.

Film Vault still remains the best maze i've ever been through imo.... Its just a shame they dont have the expanse of the studios to utilise anymore (bloody successful film industry...damn you!)

I wouldn't be surprised to see IT 2 return given a lot of detail and props went into that, and it was planned as a 2 year gig had it not been for covid last year. 

Whilst Halloween would be timely given the upcoming movie release, its been done to death ... at least 4 years we've had it?

The first iterations of Saw were strong, but rehashing that for Spiral which by all accounts was really poor seems superfluous.

Doll Haus will likely return given the same 2 year pattern we usually see - i didnt get through this one in 2019 so cant comment on if it was any good.

So

IT and Doll Haus are the returning mazes

2 new mazes ? I really dont see any IP's worth investing heavily in - and i'd happily see them go generic/overarching theme.

11 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Whilst Halloween would be timely given the upcoming movie release, its been done to death ... at least 4 years we've had it?

Two years as a maze. 1 year as a precinct. 

17 hours ago, zacsta_1997 said:

I’m pretty sure Universal is using “The Haunting of Hill House” as a maze.  I’d love to see them use that IP this year, but as Universal is using it, I doubt it. 

VRTP and Universal have had mazes based on the same IP in the past. 

49 minutes ago, aaronm said:

Bearing in mind that a good portion of the target market (under 30s) are unlikely to be fully vaccinated by October, I’m surprised this is going ahead. Seems an ideal environment for a COVID superspreader event and much harder to enforce social distancing than during the daytime.

Whilst this isn’t the place for political/medical discussions, being vaccinated does not stop you contracting or passing on covid. It (vaccination rates) shouldn’t be used as a yardstick for whether events go ahead or not. 

and sensationalism language like “super spreader event” are just cannon fodder for the MSM. it’s not more covid-risky that football matches, nightclubs or schools - all of which are open and operating for the most part currently or were up until 3 weeks ago in Qld. 

It sort of does to an extent, because yes you can still catch and pass it on, but having a vaccine basically eliminates the consequences of getting it. Of course, unvaccinated elderly people would still be a risk.

Countries could well have outbreaks with thousands of people with it, but if nobody is actually getting sick or going to hospital then what's the problem?

I don’t want covid discussions to take over topics, this is the one place amongst many forums I visit where either side of the covid/vaccine/response arguments haven’t taken over entirely from the regular conversations. 

my final comment on it all is that I think the govt needs to secure enough vaccines that everyone in the community who wants it can get easy access to it, the backlog is fulfilled, and then we open up the country, no more lockdowns, masks etc, and people then take accountability for their own health decisions, risks, chances of exposure. 

the UK has moved to that model, and it’s the only way the economy can start being repairing. 

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

it’s not more covid-risky that football matches, nightclubs or schools - all of which are open and operating for the most part currently or were up until 3 weeks ago in Qld. 

Agree the risk level is not really any different from sporting matches, which were largely operating "as normal" until a few weeks ago. Unfortunately as we're seeing in Melbourne it doesn't take much to go from normal to outbreak lockdown at the moment, which is why I'm surprised that Village are powering ahead. 

Regardless, has been too long between haunts for me, glad this year's event is going ahead and hope to make it up there!