Park Operations

Mc coaster

6 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

A supermarket with only one register open is going to look about the same.

Exactly. It’s great to see the parks busy. There are valid reasons that the peak staffing and or ride capacity levels aren’t in line with what had been standard practice. It could be a financial way for them to claw back some profits after Covid impacted this time last year, it could be not enough staff being available due to illnesses and the fact anyone with a sniffle is basically shunned from working these days, or it could be a maintenance/ engineering reason.

My point is, they don’t just decide “let’s not run at full capacity today because I can’t be arsed doing the paperwork”, I’m sure whatever the reason is valid.

4 hours ago, TimmyG said:

My point is, they don’t just decide “let’s not run at full capacity today because I can’t be arsed doing the paperwork”, I’m sure whatever the reason is valid.

Yeah, nah, sorry - if there's one thing these parks have taught us it's that you can't just give them benefit of the doubt that they will make an effort where that's all it takes.  You also can't with a straight face justify such terrible customer experience as "claw back some profits after Covid" as if that's something people should just accept without scrutiny.

• Like 1

More people in queues also means more space for people who will actually spend money in the shops to have a better experience.

Remember in Roller Coaster Tycoon when you would be happy if the queue lines were all full? 

As I said earlier, cut them a bit of slack, there would be some very good reasons as to why they aren’t running every single train or every operator being there..

1 hour ago, TimmyG said:

More people in queues also means more space for people who will actually spend money in the shops to have a better experience.

If I couldn't go on any rides due to massive queues I doubt I'd go shopping for merch instead.

For most guests the shopping happens at the end of the day before leaving the park. I'm going to assume a lot of guests wouldn't have enjoyed their day enough to warrant buying a souvenir, let alone plan to return at all.

It's one of those situations where both things are true;

Yes, there are good reasons for it, and management would LOVE it if they were able to run more trains on things.

But the result is 2 hour queues across the park. If you happen to be visiting, then that really really sucks, and it's way more the park's fault than it is the guest's fault. It's not trying to claw money back after Covid or a deliberate decision. There wass a real push to get those last 2 closed rides open which didn't happen despite efforts.

Both the operations for this holiday aren't where they should be, AND the park cares and are trying to do something about how slammed they are.

There’s no doubt the long queues and low capacity suck. I don’t dispute that. I do dispute the fact that someone is purposely going through their day to try to make guests pissed off. There are valid reasons as to why these rides aren’t operating at peak capacity. 

• Like 2

On 15/04/2021 at 9:56 AM, joz said:

Yes, there are good reasons for it, and management would LOVE it if they were able to run more trains on things.

Green Lantern only running 2 cars today as well, is this a Covid thing or are there other reasons why the park has fewer trains running on the coasters?

2 hours ago, aaronm said:

Green Lantern only running 2 cars today as well, is this a Covid thing or are there other reasons why the park has fewer trains running on the coasters?

Green Lantern has had only 2 running even before the holidays, normally the other 2 have been just sitting on the transfer tracks.  

@aaronm I don’t think they had that many, I think it was 5 or 6 (but could be wrong), they would have two trains out on the track at anyone time, then 2 in the station getting loaded/unloaded and then a either another two on the brake run/spare. I believe they stopped operating like this when the incident happened. But I have definitely seen them have 4 operate since then, but these holidays it appears they are taking major budget cuts 

6 trains on an el loco is manageable in other localities that don't have the higher safety requirements. Also, most other el locos are only 2 abreast, so harness checks are faster. Doing 6 is impossible without stacking, and as the brake run is uncovered, its unpleasant to stack, poor for the guest experience, and doesn't increase the ride's overall capacity.

Pardon me if I repeat anything mentioned above. 

Operations will be busy at the parks due to everyone getting back to normality. So while it's annoying to queue up etc it means they are generating profit even if it's just for a few weeks. 

One train ops. While unacceptable on busy days sometimes operational factors need to be understood. The second train could be tagged out or possibly muggy be close to service or have end of life components* on it rendering it useless possibly for daily operations. Parts shortages are evident in most industries around the world right now. 

Without making money at the parks you also need to put back on daily running cost. Don't run a train on and your saving on wear and tear. While frustrating for the guest it is something that supervisors etc do constantly think about. Sometimes however these taught and unpopular decisions need to be made for the benefit of the company. 

• Like 4