Dreamworld General Park Update - April 2021

themagician

On 19/06/2021 at 11:16 AM, OgreMagic said:

Wish Dreamworld took better care of preserving their history.

What would you have them do with it?

I mean, Disney certainly does keep little mementos from old retired attractions and try and insert them, or at least nods to them in their new ones, but how many six flags parks have the entire ride signage from former attractions, and have done more than just toss them into an old bone yard, or repurposing the materials for other uses?

Wonderland tossed ride bridges out into the boneyard when older rides were decommissioned or rethemed and relocated, and folks have been stealing parts of them for years and trying to sell them on ebay (unsuccessfully). 

Next minute we'll see someone try and make a gofundme to save the log ride sign that will ultimately fall through too. 

Bottom line - if the materials aren't useful for elsewhere in the park, chuck it in the skip with the rest and move on. 

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

What would you have them do with it?

I mean, Disney certainly does keep little mementos from old retired attractions and try and insert them, or at least nods to them in their new ones, but how many six flags parks have the entire ride signage from former attractions, and have done more than just toss them into an old bone yard, or repurposing the materials for other uses?

Wonderland tossed ride bridges out into the boneyard when older rides were decommissioned or rethemed and relocated, and folks have been stealing parts of them for years and trying to sell them on ebay (unsuccessfully). 

Next minute we'll see someone try and make a gofundme to save the log ride sign that will ultimately fall through too. 

Bottom line - if the materials aren't useful for elsewhere in the park, chuck it in the skip with the rest and move on. 

I agree you can't keep everything, but with something as iconic (even to a small degree) as ride signs I think you should do what you can to preserve them.

As Gazza said, some parks publicly display their past, ranging from small displays (Europa Park) to full on museums (Cedar Point). Universal even has a shop in Islands of Adventure where they sell old Park items directly to the public.

What would I do with it? Put it up for auction, either for profit or charity? Donate it? Reuse it down the line? Even putting it out the back would be an option. Would give the employees something it look at. 😜

At least give the options a go before heading to the skip. That's all I ask.

Edited by OgreMagic
Formatting

Village sold heaps of Bermuda Triangle animatronics years ago and props from various old attractions many years ago didn't they?

DW could have made some money from selling ride props from TOT, wipeout and rocky hollow, maybe even what was in the boneyard. Worst case scenario if you don't sell, bin it, best case scenario you make money off some person who wants to pay bonkers amounts for ride theming. Might end up not selling but should have given it a go.

1 hour ago, Baconjack said:

DW could have made some money from selling ride props from TOT, wipeout and rocky hollow, maybe even what was in the boneyard. Worst case scenario if you don't sell, bin it, best case scenario you make money off some person who wants to pay bonkers amounts for ride theming. Might end up not selling but should have given it a go.

DW did sell a massive amount of Tot to six flags. So they did make money of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2021 at 8:58 PM, themagician said:

The Westside camera has been removed while the construction of ST is underway. But it could possibly return as the current pathway will be altered, so that you can access Giant Drop from the stairs again. I don’t think the Westside has operated since the parks reopening last year. 

I was told the Westside is hoping to be operational by the time ST opens. But who knows. I miss the view on the Westside