Wipeout vs Vortex

55 minutes ago, ThemeParks4Life said:

Have you been on the new Vortex at SW, is this a similar reincarnation of the Wipeout?

Wipeout was a Vekoma Waikiki, Vortex is a HUSS Top Spin. I personally have been on a another Top Spin in Dubai and it was WAY crazier than Wipeout! Spinning over and over again, very forceful. Can’t wait to ride Vortex next time I’m up there on the coast! Wipeout was more of a hang-time machine, so in my opinion, they both do great things! :):)

Side note: I just found out Wipeout was the second remaining Vekoma Waikiki before closing, so there is only 1 left! There were only 11 made so this was a rare flat indeed. In comparison, there are over 85 Top Spins like Vortex that have been made. Lucky to have ridden Wipeout haha

Edited by Gtmichaels

24 minutes ago, Gtmichaels said:

Side note: I just found out Wipeout was the second remaining Vekoma Waikiki before closing, so there is only 1 left! There were only 11 made so this was a rare flat indeed. In comparison, there are over 85 Top Spins like Vortex that have been made. Lucky to have ridden Wipeout haha

I think the last one closed just a few months after Wipeout closed.

I only got to ride Wipeout once and it was about 5 or 6 years ago. I've ridden Vortex and its good but in no way close to the insanity of that one ride on Wipeout. Vortex is still quite good, however it has really uncomfortable restraints, you can't put your hands up without rubbing arms with the person next to you.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2021 at 12:17 PM, Gtmichaels said:

Apparently, according to coasterpedia, there is one still operating at Tashkentland. Checked their website and yes, still operating. Never heard of the park before though?

397C755E-BB39-4915-A8AE-C218DE3B0F17.jpeg

As far as I can tell (and I really had to dig) this is a Waikiki Wave and not the super flip version like Wipeout was. Really good find though - I thought Mexico’s was the last one, I wonder how often this one operates these days?

11 hours ago, Slick said:

As far as I can tell (and I really had to dig) this is a Waikiki Wave and not the super flip version like Wipeout was. Really good find though - I thought Mexico’s was the last one, I wonder how often this one operates these days?

I believe the last one was Huracan at Six Flags Mexico. According to Wikipedia, that ride closed in 2019 and has since been removed.

• Like 1

how does Rampage at adventure world compare to wipeout? I know its a different make but similar ride experience maybe? Perth is still on my to do list.. 

And Movieworld over Dreamworld these days is a no brainer if your an adult talking themparks, and soon dreamworld will be No3 on my list MW, SW, DW but I am very keen to give steel taipan spinning car a try I've only been on a spinning wild mouse. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, colonelbmx said:

how does Rampage at adventure world compare to wipeout? I know its a different make but similar ride experience maybe? Perth is still on my to do list.. 

And Movieworld over Dreamworld these days is a no brainer if your an adult talking themparks, and soon dreamworld will be No3 on my list MW, SW, DW but I am very keen to give steel taipan spinning car a try I've only been on a spinning wild mouse. 

Having ridden both, rampage feels more like a normal top spin than wipeout was. Ie: the flip cycles on rampage are far more intense, but the tilt cycle wasn't comparable to wipeout at all whatsoever, from memory there was no flips whereas wipeout tilted and flipped at the same time

Edited by Baconjack

I Still prefer Wipeout because the theming had a bit more heart, and it ran a better cycle.

Vortex had the potential to be quite good (And I do prefer top spins overall), but it runs a bit of an average cycle that doesn’t fully utilise the tricks a Top Spin can do, and the theming is a bit too modern, and the fountains don’t do enough IMO.

If it was like Talocan, but with sandy Atlantis ruins it would have been sick.

Rampage I think also doesn’t do much with its capabilities. It does a couple of manoeuvres with arms in opposite directions, but spends 80% of the cycle doing flips like a normal top spin, with maybe a tiny bit of offset between the arms creating a constant tilt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

Rampage I think also doesn’t do much with its capabilities. It does a couple of manoeuvres with arms in opposite directions, but spends 80% of the cycle doing flips like a normal top spin, with maybe a tiny bit of offset between the arms creating a constant tilt.

From what I have been told while Rampage can rotate arms independently with the motor system as its not gravity run, is not capable of flipping the gondola while not straight. However Rampage does still provide a very intense ride experience, however it's not comfortable to ride (Due to shoulders being crushed) However when they installed an entire new gondola  with restraint system in 2018 and vertically rebuilt the ride, its much better experience then it was.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/04/2021 at 9:52 AM, Gazza said:

Vortex had the potential to be quite good (And I do prefer top spins overall), but it runs a bit of an average cycle that doesn’t fully utilise the tricks a Top Spin can do, and the theming is a bit too modern, and the fountains don’t do enough IMO.

Must say that this ride was very underwhelming, getting off a ride that is hyped up so much and feeling 'oh is that it' was really not what I thought they were aiming for. 

One thing I did notice (I could be wrong) is that the cycles seem different? Is that the case or does it have some random sequences it goes through.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I went on vortex for the first time this morning. I had read on here before that the cycle should be longer, it’s not as good as wipeout, etc. Having ridden Wipeout a number of times, I had something to compare it too. My first thoughts of it are:

It’s disappointing.

It’s definitely a needed attraction for the park (or any form of large scale flat ride was needed really). The entrance to the area is nice, there’s a good amount of planting leading up to the ride. The queue is… underwhelming. The curved walls around the ride, the carvings within it are good touch, and the water bubbling adds something too. The seating is comfortable.

The ride itself, it’s so harsh, jarring and over before you know it. The issue I have is it feels too mechanical. Much like the issue we’ve had with doomsday, it feels too controlled. The cycle should build up to the flips, like how Wipeout did. It should go over the top a few times and let the ride pick up speed. Stop at the top, lock in place and then do a full rotation (which is what it did, but that’s all it did). Then a few rotations, lock in, do flips, and maybe do that process 3 times. Have a moment where it’s intense, but have some ‘filler’ rotations so the cycle lasts much longer. 

Because of the constant water, the colouration of the walls around the ride are also starting to go brown 

2CF159A3-CDD6-4559-AF56-43CB83D819AC.jpeg

Edited by themagician
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Im Hungry said:

Almost like Doomsday... except what more could that ride do?

I went on Doomsday 4 times yesterday (first time my son was tall enough and it was open) and as mechanical and structured as the ride is, its a 1 trick pony. Not much more it can do really except maybe an additional spin each way.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the length of Doomsday. Load and unload of Doomsday only takes forever due to the seating layout. An additional 2 ops would halve the time.

• Like 1