Movieworld 30 Year Anniversary Celebration Predictions

Vidgamer

This year Movieworld celebrates 30 years, with the last anniversary celebration being June 2016 (25 years). This will be a major opportunity for the new owners to showcase Movieworld's past but also focus on the future. Last week they did some filming at the park which I am thinking may be linked to the 30th anniversary celebrations. In June/July of previous years Movieworld has run the DC Villians event but this was moved to January this year, I am wondering if anyone has any predictions about what might be occuring?

• Like 1

I dare say, not much. I'd say DC Villains was probably moved to January cause of the prolonged closures throughout the middle of the year last year, and there was increased demand for travel and activities over the summer holidays - probably moreso than usual. 

Did Sea World do anything for its 40th? I can't remember any of our parks doing any substantial celebrations on major milestone years, aside from some odd marketing here and there?

Local's passes are about $25 more, but that shouldn't matter - they've created their own 'different classes' of membership systems instead of just upping the price of the existing tiers.

I don't really care about the invites - its highly unlikely i'll ever have so little to do that I could attend these things and wait around for hours, but its a little disappointing that they treat folks who are clearly loyal and willing to support the parks paying monthly (and its been a few years since Memberships ended so there's longevity there). The point is the premier memberships were meant to be the 'top shelf' item. They've stripped certain benefits away, added nothing, not reduced the price, and introduced another pass over the top that is less convenient, more expensive, and offers nothing more.

There's no incentive to switch, save for missing out on a few media invites - which appears to be petty to exclude those loyal members.

I feel like they'd be better off using the carrot than the stick if they want to switch people off memberships rather than to continue to regard them as second class when they were a premium product.

• Like 1

Not really, no. 

There's a reason there are still quite a few people around that hold memberships, who haven't migrated to One Pass. There's several actually - and although the OnePass is more expensive, it isn't the cost - because when OnePass originally came out, it was CHEAPER than a Membership.

Memberships included much the same benefits as a OnePass - entry to certain night events, entry to all four parks, but memberships also get entry to fright nights - a benefit not included in the one pass. Discounts were also offered at some outlets, stores and experiences in each park, as well as whale watching cruises, and even room discounts for sea world resort.

Source

Now its been a while since I checked what parts of these benefits are still valid. I'm fairly certain Fright nights is still an inclusion, but I don't believe the discounts are offered anymore. This leaves us (after all the pricing and structure changes) with essentially an identical pass (save for one or two night event changes), except you can pay by the month, and its now cheaper.

Village have continued to erode the benefits offered to those who showed their loyalty. They used to send out offers like the above to both onepass and memberships alike. Now they're only sending to onepass holders - another exclusion for members - and you think that by offering them the same product as what everyone else can get, for more money than they're currently paying, with a less convenient lump-sum-each-year payment option (or afterpay which doesn't compare to debitsuccess), no auto renewal, and lose access to fright nights without paying extra, for the chance, maybe, to get once-off invites to attend filming days, is a carrot?

What I meant was - if Village wants to end the memberships, which they've shown a lot of contempt for, they should offer members a REAL incentive to swap over so that they can consolidate their ticketing system, not have to pay commissions to debit success every month, and keep those loyal membership fans happy to continue forking out for annual passes when they're no longer under any obligation to keep renewing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Paying by the month direct debit doesn't make someone more loyal than paying an equivalent amount lump sum IMO. Two sides of the same coin.

At my company we encourage our customers to pay by the month with auto renewal as the customer retention rate is pretty much double.

Not particularly loyalty but money is money

• Like 1

Any gym will tell you having people set up on a monthly direct debit is a much bigger win that them paying upfront for a fixed term.

Close to your expiry date, when you get a bill in the mail (or a renewal email) requesting $140, you have to take action on it for it to continue - you consider the value, the usage, your current financial situation etc - apathy doesn't lead to the business in question making money off you.

On a monthly ongoing/rolling payment, unless you are a genuine budget keeper when it comes to your finances, you are less likely to notice what is a small charge ($12 per month), and even if not using/taking advantage of it, less likely to cancel it (ahh... its only $12, we'll probably go in a few weeks....). There are probably plenty of people paying monthly that have forgotten they even have memberships (especially given Membership holders dont get sent exclusive offers etc anymore).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Naazon said:

Just now, Gazza said:

Let's not confuse loyalty with forgetting to cancel something.

I should also mention my company offers annual direct debit but monthly is much more profitable as @Brad2912 said due to the smaller bill size.

We offer a completely different product, more or less a necessity but the same "rules" still apply.

Our customers aren't loyal, no matter what corporate tells us, they just like small regular, hardly noticeable bills.

2 hours ago, Naazon said:

Wouldn't VRTP retain the right to also just cease memberships at their will?

Yes, they most certainly could - however, they risk losing the revenue from those people currently paying. Without incentive to switch onto an alternative product, many customers may re-evaluate whether to take up the new product and many may opt not to continue because they haven't used it much and don't consider the new pricing structure to be worth their time. 

So long as the memberships generate enough profit to pay for the costs of running a separate program (which at this point would just be the ongoing fees payable to debit success) they'll continue to do it until it becomes non-viable. But in the meantime - chipping away at the previous benefits is doing them no favours. 

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

Paying by the month direct debit doesn't make someone more loyal than paying an equivalent amount lump sum IMO. Two sides of the same coin.

*sigh*.

• When memberships were available, other, cheaper pass types were also still available for purchase. 
  • Both could be paid by lump sum, membership was the only option to pay by the month.
  • Memberships paid monthly continue to be debited every month.
  • Lump sum payment passholders are required to re-evaluate their purchase every year. There is potential customer loss here - especially from those who (as has been said on her previously) vary which chain they hold passes to each year as they can only pick one - so this year it's village, next year it's dreamworld...
1 hour ago, Naazon said:

At my company we encourage our customers to pay by the month with auto renewal as the customer retention rate is pretty much double.

Retention is loyalty though. And you're right - businesses that do auto renewal, pay by the month, etc etc are more likely to retain their customers.

59 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Let's not confuse loyalty with forgetting to cancel something.

Remaining a customer is, in fact, loyalty.

Primarily, customer loyalty is when a person transacts with a brand (or purchases a specific product) on an ongoing basis.

Even if it is the case that they forgot to cancel, that's still loyalty. But in the case of a monthly charge such as the memberships are, even if you do forget one month - the next month's charge tends to be a big reminder. You're not going to remain a customer for long if you aren't choosing to stay (loyal) to the brand. Especially not for the more-than-two-years-since-memberships-were-withdrawn kind of forgetfulness.

As has already been mentioned above - Annual, user-renews style services have half the retention of auto-renewed debit style services. 

It's been a long time since my days in retail management, and while I can't remember the figures, I do remember that it cost more than double to sign up a new customer as it did to retain an existing one.

Regardless, the loyalty arguments are a straw man argument - whether you consider members are more or less loyal, the fact remains that members were previously a premium product - and despite nothing (including the price point) changing, Village have eroded those benefits, continuing to treat members as second class post-onepass introduction. 

My conclusions on these erosions are that they have contempt for the members, or that they want to enourage them to switch to the more modern, less convenient one-pass, and, in my opinion only, I believe that they'd attract more flies with honey by offering members more of an incentive (beyond the standard Joe Public offering) to switch over to the new ticketing system, rather than continuing to show them contempt by reducing benefits, excluding members from special offers and events, etc etc.

I've had a Premier Membership since March 2018. If the membership ceased for any reason I would not purchase a new pass for awhile and neither would the rest of my family. I've been a bit annoyed with the lack of communication of some of the changes and benefits included in membership. 

I'm not a fan of a price increase either. 

Edited by TomiJ

Just had a thought. Since Studio Showcase just finished. Do you think they'll do a "celebrating 30 years" temporary display in the same location? 

I think it's highly likely they still have A LOT of their old props, backdrops and in particular many of the old cars etc. used. Do you think we might see a throwback featuring things like:

- Old parade floats (in partiuclar the daffy duck & Sylvester cars)

- Old costumes (Character ones & things like Police academy ones)

- Photos & videos of old rides & attractions

- Old set pieces (facades from old shows & rides)

I know I personally would love to see the cobs blown off a lot of the props & vehicles etc. which I'm sure Movie World probably still have a decent amount of, and what better way to give a brief non permanent nod to their past, and potentially a section about the future of Movie World?

Or maybe they can remove stunt driver and bring back police academy forever.. If you haven't noticed.. I really miss the police academy show 🤣

• Like 4

1 hour ago, themagician said:

That would be amazing @Joshaaye and really hope they do that. The parks anniversary is on June 3, so hopefully they’ll have it done and open in time for that day 

You'd think a couple months should be more than enough time. I'll be there June 10th so fingers crossed!!