Movieworld 30 Year Anniversary Celebration Predictions

Vidgamer

12 hours ago, Naazon said:

Aren't Rivals and GL the literal defenition of unique coasters? Rivals being a custom Mack Hyper with rear facing seat and non-inverted loop and a colour no one could agree on.  There are no identical copies that exist right? 
Plus even to this day, whenever I see pic's or videos of Rivals posted online on YT/Reddit ect, people comment saying they can't wait to come to Australia to go on Rivals.

You are correct, Rivals layout is unique, however it is just a roller coaster. There are better hyper coasters out there. If it was a themed experience, sure, it would be unique, different story then. 

GL on the other hand there are a few El Loco models out there, and there isn’t really anything that makes it special.

I think my point is being missed. Rivals as good of a ride as it is, is not a world class ride like depicted. Not only that, it’s presentation is very much off note for what we should be expecting from the park. At the end of the day, it’s a good coaster for the market, but it’s an average hyper coaster by world standards, and unlike the other rides of the park, it doesn’t have any decent theming to back it up. Where is the rides magic? There isn’t any. I say the same about Green Lantern.

It feels very much like a six flags ride, a plonk there, put in a garden, call it a name to suggest it has a theme and story, but in reality it has an incredibly weak story that it’s not even worth mentioning.

Im happy with Superman replacing the SFX show, to me it has the magic, even if the courtyard is average. However it came at the expense of an attraction that “everyone could ride”, and I feel. An updated SFX show should have been put on in a new location. 

Movie World used to be a park where you didn’t have to ride the rides to have an enjoyable day out, now it’s a place where you have to ride the rides, there’s very little “showmanship” inside the park. The rides shouldn’t have come at the expense of the showmanship. That is why I rate current day movie world to be piss weak. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimmyG said:

I think my point is being missed. Rivals as good of a ride as it is, is not a world class ride like depicted. Not only that, it’s presentation is very much off note for what we should be expecting from the park. At the end of the day, it’s a good coaster for the market, but it’s an average hyper coaster by world standards, and unlike the other rides of the park, it doesn’t have any decent theming to back it up. Where is the rides magic? There isn’t any. I say the same about Green Lantern.

It feels very much like a six flags ride, a plonk there, put in a garden, call it a name to suggest it has a theme and story, but in reality it has an incredibly weak story that it’s not even worth mentioning.

Im happy with Superman replacing the SFX show, to me it has the magic, even if the courtyard is average. However it came at the expense of an attraction that “everyone could ride”, and I feel. An updated SFX show should have been put on in a new location. 

Movie World used to be a park where you didn’t have to ride the rides to have an enjoyable day out, now it’s a place where you have to ride the rides, there’s very little “showmanship” inside the park. The rides shouldn’t have come at the expense of the showmanship. That is why I rate current day movie world to be piss weak. 

You might have chosen the wrong hill to die on.

The statement about how DC Rivals isn't a world-class attraction is very questionable. However, I think you have forgotten that majority of Movie World's guests have never even set foot into a foreign theme park. It does not matter if you consider DC Rivals to be lacking in originality in comparison to the world stage, since the general public have never even seen an attraction like it. 

The closest coaster to DC Rivals, with a regular chain-lift, non-inverted, no launch, would have been Gold Coaster. A relic from the 90s, from a company that ceases to exist. The Australian market has never even comprehend a full-circuit coaster that large. 

I was born in 2003, I cannot speak on anything Movie World related from the early 2000's. However, I somewhat agree. There is an argument to be had when discussing a drop in theming and film-making type attractions. But the argument about DC Rivals and Green Lantern is fatally flawed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TimmyG said:

Rivals as good of a ride as it is, is not a world class ride like depicted.

Wrong on so many levels. It is world class. Sure some things could be changed to make it slightly better but it deserves to be called world class as it has all the right elements of a world class coaster of it's nature.

15 hours ago, TimmyG said:

There are better hyper coasters out there. 

I'm curious to know what you think those rides are? Looking at the Coaster Bot rankings from 2020 Rivals came in at number 12, which is pretty decent for a ride in the middle of nowhere for most Coaster enthusiasts. If you look at the 11 above it though none of those are Hypers so DC Rivals ranked as the best Hyper Coaster in the world last year? 

image.thumb.png.25fdec471f2f0c533c455940acb5b5d6.png

Edited by MrLukeCarroll

8 hours ago, TimmyG said:

Like pretty much everyone else here, strongly disagree with your conclusion that Rivals is an average coaster by world standards. The theming (and the god-awful name), I could take or leave. However, if you want a world-class hyper in terms of thrills, Rivals is right up there. Is it the world's best? That's subjective. But I do think it is in that elite echelon of hypers with Superman The Ride, Expedition GeForce, Mako et al in terms of layout. That's even before you even get to talking about the backwards row, which gives an entirely unique frame to critically analyse the ride. You will find common ground with many here about Movie World's current attractions offering; the general lack of movie magic is something others, myself included, will concur. Oh and, yes, GL is ass. But we all know that.

4 hours ago, MrLukeCarroll said:

I'm curious to know what you think those rides are? Looking at the Coaster Bot rankings from 2020 Rivals came in at number 12, which is pretty decent for a ride in the middle of nowhere for most Coaster enthusiasts. If you look at the 11 above it though none of those are Hypers so DC Rivals ranked as the best Hyper Coaster in the world last year? 

image.thumb.png.25fdec471f2f0c533c455940acb5b5d6.png

SteVE, Zadra and Fury are all hypers in a broad sense.

3 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Not sure where these statues were previously, but they are now in the middle of the Scooby queue line. 

21B7B361-312B-4BE4-B204-633812CA0541.jpeg

Is it possible they were removed from the dark ride portion during the refurb and are now part of the queue?

Edited by CR4ZE

11 hours ago, TimmyG said:

"Average hyper coaster by world standards", lol what? this just proves that you have pretty much no idea what you are talking about. DCR is very highly regarded by many in our hobby, not just in here, but internationally. People rave about the backwards experience as well. I'd be keen to hear what in your opinion is a better hyper than DCR.

I don't disagree the theming is minimal at best but in all honesty for the role it plays in MW's lineup, it isn't even necessary. DCR is basically "big scary roller coaster" and that's what it was built to be.

Also to mention, "world class ride" is a pretty subjective criteria. For some, a "world class ride" is a Disney-style simulator, or a modern immersive flume, or a Universal Spider-Man style dark ride . For roller coasters? By all accounts DCR is a great example of this

2 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Possibly, but they haven’t been there since the refurb, they’ve only appeared since my last visit 4-5 weeks ago 

What was the general consensus of the refurb? I went recently after having not been on it since it was changed and I was really not impressed. Seemed like the magic of the ride was stripped. 

52 minutes ago, TimmyG said:

Geez I knew I would get flamed for my opinion. Calm down everyone.

I think most of the responses have been measured. As @themagician more or less said, you absolutely have the right to an opinion. Clearly there are strong feelings to the contrary, so perhaps that's a good prompt to expound on it.

• Like 1