Dreamworld's new attraction is made official

Richard

Now onto the survey. GoBoi you have hardly produced a convincing result by asking only 4 people. Next time your out at the shops ask 100 people a question similar to Richard's question "Dreamworld is getting a ride called The Claw what do you think of the name?" I think you will find that the majority' date=' if not all of them will say "Oh really, what kind of ride is it?" not "Yeah I’ve been on The Claw at the Easter Show."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now onto the survey.  GoBoi you have hardly produced a convincing result by asking only 4 people.  Next time your out at the shops ask 100 people a question similar to Richard's question "Dreamworld is getting a ride called The Claw what do you think of the name?"  I think you will find that the majority, if not all of them will say "Oh really, what kind of ride is it?" not "Yeah I’ve been on The Claw at the Easter Show."
Um, when I'm at the shops I prefer to go shopping rather than 'surveying' people. I can imagine the response I'd get too and it would be more like "why are you telling me this? get away from me freak". I am quite content with my personal thoughts that The Claw is not a great name and they could have been slightly more original rather than using the name of a well known travelling carnival ride. I am also happy for you and some others to have their own opinion that the name is fine and it won't make a difference. This is what makes the world go around. I would also like to say that I completely agree with joz's and Richard's last posts. I don't want to waste my time by reiterating my support for this new ride because it seems that a few of you don't bother reading the threads properly anyway. Regardless of how much I appreciate the new ride I am not going to stop discussing the negatives as well as the positives (this is why it's called a discussion) so just deal with it

Now onto the survey.  GoBoi you have hardly produced a convincing result by asking only 4 people.  Next time your out at the shops ask 100 people a question similar to Richard's question "Dreamworld is getting a ride called The Claw what do you think of the name?"  I think you will find that the majority, if not all of them will say "Oh really, what kind of ride is it?" not "Yeah I’ve been on The Claw at the Easter Show."
Um, when I'm at the shops I prefer to go shopping rather than 'surveying' people. I can imagine the response I'd get too and it would be more like "who are you and why are you asking me this?". I am quite content with my personal thoughts that The Claw is not a great name and they could have been slightly more original rather than using the name of a well known travelling carnival ride. I am also happy for you and some others to have their own opinion that the name is fine and it won't make a difference. This is what makes the world go around. I would also like to say that I completely agree with joz's and Richard's last posts. I don't want to waste my time by reiterating my support for this new ride because it seems that a few of you don't bother reading the threads properly anyway. Regardless of how much I appreciate the new ride I am not going to stop discussing the negatives as well as the positives (this is why it's called a discussion) so just deal with it

Um, when I'm at the shops I prefer to go shopping rather than 'surveying' people. I can imagine the response I'd get too and it would be more like "who are you and why are you asking me this?". I am quite content with my personal opinion that The Claw is not a great name and they could have been slightly more original rather than using the name of a well known travelling carnival ride. I am also happy for you wonderbus and some others to have their own opinion that the name is fine and it won't make a difference. That is what makes the world go round. I would also like to say that I completely agree with joz's and Richard's last posts. I don't want to waste my time by reiterating my support for this new ride because it seems that a few of you don't bother reading the threads properly anyway. Regardless of how much I appreciate the new ride I am not going to stop discussing the negatives as well as the positives (this is why it's called a discussion) so just deal with it

Programming a flat ride is completely different to a coaster for one thing the cycle time cannot be changed, unless you set trim brakes to hold the train for a long time. Yes manufactures have a pre-set program for each ride but that doesn't mean that it cannot be changed without any major repercussions to the ride itself or the riders. The Gyro that I have operated is at a North American park and is the one shown on the Mondial site. GoBoi just tell them you are from Dreamworld and if they answer a couple of questions they could win tickets to the park. Disclaimer: Kiddies don't do this as it's illegal. "The Bus is now leaving for Naughty Girl Creek, Queensland"

Yes, obviously it's true that you can't change the cycle time of a coaster, without changing things like the trim brakes or lift hill speed. At no point did I suggest anything contrary to this. More or less the programming of a coaster occurs in the track design period where they design every precise movement of the track. Obviously this cannot be changed. Obviously if the ride settings are adjustable, any changed might not be problematic, such as slowing it down, but anything else (speeding up the rotation, increasing cycle time etc.) would likely start to cause problems. This is all largely beside my point that the Gyro Swings have relative speeds etc., and consequently forces and intensity will be consistent for all three. On the Mondial version (which it is useful to note, is not the Intamin Gyro Swing), I'd assume that the setting controls are only able to be changed by technicians or maintenance guys, and are otherwise locked up. If this wasn't the case in Canada, then I'd be quite sure it will be at Dreamworld. Now, onto the name, an area of discussion that I never really got in on. I posted this news on CoasterBuzz, and of the comments alterted me to something I didn't previously know. Hersheypark installed a Chance Revolution last year using the name "The Claw" (seen here). One thing I have no respect for is copying (stealing, if you will) of ride concepts. I doubt in researching this ride, Dreamworld weren't aware of Hersheypark's ride. One more "stolen" concept to the list I suppose.

I just had a look at a big pic of the Hershey Park Claw. The thing is because they have the inwards facing version it has a different design and truly does look like a claw. Dreamworld's will be the outwards facing version (which I am very pleased and thankful about) which doesn't look like a claw. Although Richard you did say the design has been modified a bit so I guess we will see

Dreamorld's website has now been updated to include details on the attraction, seen here. It's good to see that they've taken a more low-key approach to it. It still makes it out to be exciting, yet doesn't bend the story to make it sound like more than it is. This is how it should have been done in the press release.

Its on the right of the screen on the home page. Next to the Big Brother stuff. Agreed with Richard on his opinion too. Shows you can talk a ride up without going crazy with jargon (They only called it the ultimate thrill ride once, and we'll let them have that one ;) ). Also good too see construction shots on the website. Well done DW!

Yes, obviously it's true that you can't change the cycle time of a coaster, without changing things like the trim brakes or lift hill speed. At no point did I suggest anything contrary to this. More or less the programming of a coaster occurs in the track design period where they design every precise movement of the track.
Richard the following quote, to me does suggest the contrary. I don't consider the design of a ride i.e. track or train design as 'programming' of a ride. To me the programming of a ride is how the ride is controlled by the computer. For example Bounty's Revenge had it's computer in the control room which dictated the number of revolutions and the speed of the ride.
Why would programming a flat ride be any different from a coaster
On the Mondial version (which it is useful to note, is not the Intamin Gyro Swing), I'd assume that the setting controls are only able to be changed by technicians or maintenance guys, and are otherwise locked up.
Yes that is correct, the two are different rides, however they are basically the same, they swing and spin. On the Mondial version there is a touch screen which displays various bits of information. This was used to also change any settings of the rides computer including spin and swing speed and cycle time. These could all be changed easily by the operator with the turn of a key (which the operator did have) and the touch the screen. Who cares if the name was 'copying' or 'stealing' the name from Hersheypark's? There can only be a finite number of names that would be suitable for rides, after a point names are going to be 'copied'. What would everyone suggest as a better name for this ride, don't worry about how it's going to be themed, just come up with a name. My suggestion would be 'Whirly Spinny Thingy" "The Bus is now leaving for Lake Nameless, Tasmania"

I don't consider the design of a ride i.e. track or train design as 'programming' of a ride. To me the programming of a ride is how the ride is controlled by the computer.
Nor do I. My use of the word "programming" was more in the sense of setting a ride programme rather than in an electronic sense. You don't think that as much thought by Intamin's engineers is put into the setting of ride programmes, as is into say the design of a coaster's track? It certainly wouldn't be as time-intensive, but that doesn't mean much - that shows in the resulting price differences (USD$10s of millions for coasters, compared to AUD$6 million for The Claw). In regards to the design changes that have occured since Drayton Manor's ride, you'll find they're structural changes, not anything different about the specifications of the actual ride. In other words, nothing really to particularly think or care about. :) I think that Dreamworld's use of construction photographs is great. Though it's an old idea in American parks, Dreamworld are the first here to do it. It's one sure way to stir considerable interest - see Cedar Point for proof of that.

You don't think that as much thought by Intamin's engineers is put into the setting of ride programmes, as is into say the design of a coaster's track? It certainly wouldn't be as time-intensive, but that doesn't mean much - that shows in the resulting price differences (USD$10s of millions for coasters, compared to AUD$6 million for The Claw).
I agree that the engineers would put loads more time into a coaster than they would for a flat ride and that is reflected in the cost. However a lot of the cost would come in the construction of the ride. A flat ride lets take 'The Claw' for example would weigh a fraction of a coaster. Most coasters are well over 1000 feet long and are made of steel. Tell me which would cost more to manufacture and construct, a ride with 4 uprights, a crossbar, a vertical, a bunch of spokes and a circle OR a coaster that’s about 3000 feet with probably at least 20 uprights? The engineers involved with setting the programming of flat rides would find the optimal program for a ride and then would work out how far (faster/slower) on each side of that would not put to much strain on the riders and the ride itself. They would hardly allow a ride to be operated where it was not safe (human factor i.e. stupidity not included). "The Bus is now leaving for Engineer Range, Tasmania"

Fabricated steel costs around USD$2/kg. For The Claw, that makes it $140,000 in steel costs. A large coaster may weigh 1,000 tonnes or more. That's $2 million in steel costs. We will assume the costs for other components (motors and electronics etc.) is the same for the two. Strangely enough, the margin left to pay for engineering and other costs is getting closer and closer for the two. Add to this construction costs and we're getting. Then throw in the additional tidbit that the Gyro Swing is a ride designed to be sold multiple times, hence R&D costs would be average costs in the world of microeconomics and factored out over as many units are sold. A coaster is often a once-off design and consequently margins for each unit sold must cover its R&D. You know, once upon a time we were discussing the announcement of some ride. It would be nice to get back to that.

Right now, he's in England filming his 2005 movie, co-starring Brian Cox. t's the first time he's filmed entirely outside of the United States. Other than that, he's been replaced with a blurry road. Change is always good, which is why Dreamworld's new ride will be such a hit - it'll be different. (That's my attempt at a segue to bring it back on topic.)

Fabricated steel costs around USD$2/kg. For The Claw, that makes it $140,000 in steel costs. A large coaster may weigh 1,000kg or more. That's $2 million in steel costs. We will assume the costs for other components (motors and electronics etc.) is the same for the two.
I think you mean 1,000 tonnes. Demon's train alone weighed about 7 tonne.
A coaster is often a once-off design and consequently margins for each unit sold must cover its R&D.
I would have thought that most coaster designs would be used more than once. By the end of 2004 there will be 44 coasters around the world with the same design as Demon. Lethal Weapon, Bush Beast, Beastie are all clones and there are multiples of these around the globe. Now back to the topic, ummmm, oh yeah there is info on the Dreamworld website about it. "The Bus is now leaving for Half Ton Creek, Queensland"