Extra trains for roller coasters?

Gazza

4 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

Meanwhile I'm the idiot who waited 5.5 hours for Flight of Passage at Animal Kingdom 

The craziest part about this to me, is that obviously a considerably large amount of other people also waited about 5+ hours to do the same...

I'm reaaally not looking forward to experiencing USA ride wait times when I get over there in a few years for the first time. I'll be making sure I have fast passes to at least ease the pain.

I refuse to wait any longer than 45-60 minutes in Australia for a ride though.  

Nail on the head.... Disney has long queues, especially for the newest attractions... but you don't FEEL like you're waiting because there's plenty of stuff to keep you occupied. The queues are just about as repeatable as the rides.

Radiator Springs Racers opened in June 2012. We visited in April 2013 and it was still selling out fastpasses within 20 minutes of rope drop. Queues were routinely more than 2 hours for standby. We got a FP and queued in Standby and the amount of easter eggs, activities\interactives, themed signs and stories to read, and great ride-overview spots throughout - it felt like maybe half an hour? (Then it had a ride stoppage when we were 12 people from the front, but that's another story).

Meanwhile, back on the GC.... Anyone that's visited Movie World during peak times can finish the following:

"Hello and welcome...."

When i went to islands of adventure in june 2019 we got there at 7:30am and had to wait about 8 hours to get on Hagrid's motorbike adventure which was insane but it was definitely worth it after riding, that was on the 14th of june the day after it officially opened so i think it was expected 

9 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Nail on the head.... Disney has long queues, especially for the newest attractions... but you don't FEEL like you're waiting because there's plenty of stuff to keep you occupied. The queues are just about as repeatable as the rides.

Radiator Springs Racers opened in June 2012. We visited in April 2013 and it was still selling out fastpasses within 20 minutes of rope drop. Queues were routinely more than 2 hours for standby. We got a FP and queued in Standby and the amount of easter eggs, activities\interactives, themed signs and stories to read, and great ride-overview spots throughout - it felt like maybe half an hour? (Then it had a ride stoppage when we were 12 people from the front, but that's another story).

Meanwhile, back on the GC.... Anyone that's visited Movie World during peak times can finish the following:

"Hello and welcome...."

Granted, about 2.5-3 hours of that was queued in the actual park because the attraction was overflowed to hell. I also only now realise the ride had only been open 5 months so a 5 hour wait probably wasn't too bad. Once I got inside the actual queue for the ride and not the overflow, it felt like it went quick because it was so detailed and immersive. Even with standing in line for hours, I still didn't get to take in all of the detail in the queues.

I know I would love to see our parks with 3 trains on all rides, that way, no matter what time in the year you always have 2 trains on a busy day. The parks will only get busier over the years, so it just makes total sense to me. Less wait times, the more people enjoy the rides, happier they are, more they spend in park, the more they tell their friends what a great time they had, rather than complaining they had a shit time and avoid the place because the lines are too long. 

I would also like to see them overhaul loading and dispatching procedures, obviously still in a safe way though. But that is for a different conversation. 

On 30/04/2021 at 2:45 AM, Jdude95 said:

Meanwhile I'm the idiot who waited 5.5 hours for Flight of Passage at Animal Kingdom 

On 30/04/2021 at 7:03 AM, Joshaaye said:

I refuse to wait any longer than 45-60 minutes in Australia for a ride though.  

I can't believe I was dumb enough to wait 3 hours for Rivals... 💀

4 hours ago, Im Hungry said:

I can't believe I was dumb enough to wait 3 hours for Rivals... 💀

Technically I possibly waited about that long or more for Rivals on it's first day of technical rehearsals. It was such an exciting time and the mob of people made it entertaining so I barely noticed we were waiting there most of the day. I'll only do stupid wait times like that for something that's really worth it, like Rivals or Flight of Passage 

I have a really low tolerance fpr queuing. Longest for me was I waited about 90mins for Raptor and about an hour for a few other rides the same day. I wouldn't wait 90mins for Rivals since I can always come back on a quiet day, but I have thought if it was at an overseas park I totally would wait for it, and I would consider it worth the wait too.

I waited 2 hours for Arkham Asylum when it first opened because I had never been on it as LW. And I waited 1.5 hours in the fast pass line for Flying Dinosaur at Universal Japan. But they are the longest queues I can recall. I have waited for an hour with friends on rides like SE and Scooby, but that’s about it.

I think the longest I've waited for a ride is when I waited 2 hours for TOT about 10 years ago, and roughly 90 minutes for Space Mountain at Hong Kong Disneyland, bear in mind I went to the park unaware that it was 'golden week' around the Chinese national holiday where all the mainlanders go over which was a mistake.

Compared to a few years ago I feel as if our parks have improved quite a bit with dealing with bigger crowds, and capex investment is being put into rides that are designed with capacity in mind (rivals, leviathan and probably steel taipan) compared to building shit like buzzsaw, tot, cyclone, green lantern etc. Back in the day, 2 hour waits for superman, tot, et al seemed to be the norm when visiting MW and DW in peak. Nowadays, you'd be hard pressed to find anything above 90 minutes. Obviously I'd like further to be done (designing coasters with more than 3 block zones for 3 train ops would be a good 1st step) but it's a definite improvement over how it used to be.

Edited by Baconjack

Busch Gardens has four trains for Montu even though the ride can only run three – it's a maintenance thing.

Separately, if you want to see truly insane capacity, check out Olympia Looping on a busy day – with five seven-car trains it can handle of the order of four thousand guests per hour.

• Like 2

See I think its crazy we have such a long ride like Rivals, yet it only has two trains. I feel it's a ride that could have had 3 trains in operation at once since its a 1.2km track, with a 4th in maintenance. I get SE can only use 2 at once since its so short, but I'd like to see it have 3. 

GL I feel was built with the mindset to be a capacity monster like SD, being 6 in operation at once with one in maintenance. But it sounds like from what people say here, the computer chucks a hissy fit at any more than 4 at once, regrettably reducing capacity.

6 hours ago, Original said:

See I think its crazy we have such a long ride like Rivals, yet it only has two trains. I feel it's a ride that could have had 3 trains in operation at once since its a 1.2km track, with a 4th in maintenance. I get SE can only use 2 at once since its so short, but I'd like to see it have 3. 

GL I feel was built with the mindset to be a capacity monster like SD, being 6 in operation at once with one in maintenance. But it sounds like from what people say here, the computer chucks a hissy fit at any more than 4 at once, regrettably reducing capacity.

It's also a matter of sacrificing a nonstop layout. Rivals has trims and you feel those. If it had sections where you could completely stop because their terrible operations have caused the train to stack again, it's a pretty boring ride. 

• Like 2

Cant have 2 trains in the same block. So the only way you may be able to do an extra train at dc rivals is if you queue people between the final brake and the station with another set of brakes. Given that is where the transfer is, thats probably not something that could happen. 

I always used to think it would of happened as once one train reaches a certain part in the layout, another one would roll out the station up the lift and another one would roll into the sation, treating the lift hill as a block brake. Now that I look back on it, probably not the safest way since you would need perfect disbatches and the lift would constantly be stopping and starting up if a train hadn't fit the final brakes yet... 😕

To be honest if you could run Rivals without stacking, then the capacity would be plenty. That would mean opening the entrance gates as soon as the train parks like is standard around the world, and having more than 2 station staff. It would actually be fascinating to see the numbers and if an extra 2 loaders would be instantly paid for by increased ride photo/On ride video sales.

• Like 2